Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Breitling Super Avenger, Black Baton Dial, Ocean Racer Rubber Band

AllergyDoc

I owned a white-dial Super Avenger when they were first released. I eventually sold it because it was so top-heavy and fairly uncomfortable. Having heard such good things about the new V3, and about the rep Ocean Racer band, I thought I would give the model another shot.

I ordered from Joshua on a Friday and received the watch 7 days later.

I must say that the Ocean Racer band makes the watch very comfortable to wear--no top-heaviness at all. I like it so much that I'll be picking one up for my Super Avenger (which is in Speedy's repair shop ATM). The band has to be cut to fit, but the clasp has nifty micro adjustment settings so you don't have to worry about locking in an exact size. It's listed as 48+mm.

The dial is beautiful and the AR superb:

4511926757_7fc1b6d95d_o.jpg

4512567386_6a43142d11_b.jpg

4511926263_0cf8365dc6_o.jpg

4511926105_0c7f842e5b_o.jpg

The deployment clasp has some play in it:

4512566786_e0481a9b38_o.jpg

Here's the micro adjustment. Press the button and make about 1mm adjustments, like Rolex's Glide-Lock clasp on the DeepSea:

4512567736_3f7fcfc18e_o.jpg

Side view:

4512567682_20333741db_o.jpg

For size comparison, here it is next to a 47mm Marina Militare:

4511927083_0021849bf9_o.jpg

4511927285_4d80271428_o.jpg

4512568184_e1c6813cef_o.jpg

Classic wristie:

4511925601_41c4227d7e_o.jpg

onzenuub

Dammit, a very beautifil watch you bought Doc. Congrats.

sconehead

Doc, that's one good looking watch...:thumbsup:

KBH

Wow, very nice looking.

AllergyDoc

While waiting for my replacement clasp from Josh (mine broke), I picked up this nice leather strap from Panatime, for chump-change.

I was worried that it wouldn't be thick enough or heavy-duty enough to support the heavy watch head. It's 5 mm thick and tapers to 4 mm. It does a fine job of securing the heavy watch.

4524466151_933c998216_o.jpg

4524466113_7c6d4729ef_o.jpg

4524466061_f03db61b37_o.jpg

The buckle is thicker and nicer than the one on the strap I bought for my Skyland, and the keepers are better quality.

4524465981_109b1e8155_o.jpg

4524465899_1e24d03f43_o.jpg

$30 minus 10% if you type in "repgeek" in the coupon box. And these guys are the fastest shippers ever.

Strap Link

MrZoSo

Love it...Ocean racer deployant is hit and miss. I have 3 of them and had to replace 2.

Hope you get a decent one back. I have been using panatime for years way before they were dealers on our boards, and they are fantastic to deal with.

Luthier

Great watch, Doc!

Almost as good as my SA white dial.

I'm not sure about rubber, I'm SS bracelets fan, but watch itself is great.

:bcake:

MrZoSo

Gen OR Rubber is about 60 bux from the Ad and IMHO kicks major ass comfort wise. I took all my SS bands off and replaced them with the OR bands. The older OR rep bands were like a rock compared. Wonder how the new ones are?

greg_r

the current rep OR is pretty much indistinguishable from the gen. I have one on my SOH...

phaedo

Awesome watch, but my opinion is needs the bracelet for full bling effect. Which is what this watch is all about really. Putting it on rubber cheapens it somehow. And look at that complete lack of distortion in the crystal!

oscarmadfish

lovely looking watch

AllergyDoc
Gen OR Rubber is about 60 bux from the Ad and IMHO kicks major ass comfort wise. I took all my SS bands off and replaced them with the OR bands. The older OR rep bands were like a rock compared. Wonder how the new ones are?

Really? They're $575 on line. The deployment clasp alone goes for over $200. Are you talking about the rubber strap with the tang buckle?

MrZoSo

Just the OR rubber strap is 60. The deployant is retarded money, so I buy the rep.

Really? They're $575 on line. The deployment clasp alone goes for over $200. Are you talking about the rubber strap with the tang buckle?

Edited by MrZoSo

MrZoSo

Good to know thank you Greg. I will try one out. :D

the current rep OR is pretty much indistinguishable from the gen. I have one on my SOH...

P_Diddy

what's the quality of the Panatime leather strap compared to the getat strap on your MM?

AllergyDoc

And on rep steel:

4527153614_1c7de2385b_o.jpg

PD: Get-tat strap is thicker and nicer, but this one's pretty good for this heavy watch.

Luthier

See, Doc., it's perfect on SS bracelet!!!

Great watch, enjoy!!!

I do.

:facepalm:

phaedo

Looks awful on the SS, but don't worry, I can take it off your hands... Seriously though, lovely looking watch. Think a couple of reasons I like the battons dial over the stencil or numbers is the lume dots being done differently, along with the red 'automatic' above the 6 o'clock subdial.

phaedo

Doc, having seen the photo you have put up of this on SS, it looks like it fits well. Is this the case? Or since they are from different makers is the fit less than perfect?

AllergyDoc

I think the fit is about as good as rep fits come. I wrote this somewhere--hopefully not here--that guys buy gen Pro 2 bracelets and put them on their SA reps; all three versions. It makes sense to me that the SS rep bracelet should fit all three versions as well.

AllergyDoc

A few new SS shots:

4640103105_275dc3a3a7_o.jpg

4640095129_8ddbe45509_o.jpg

4640088351_df1a44eab1_o.jpg

phaedo

So much bling it is a good thing you have clothes on or we would see everything...

SubFrog

Great looking watch...I like that version.

I'm not too hip on rubber straps, however...they always seem to snag my wrist hairs or pinch in some way.

But, that SS looks awesome! That's what I use.

AllergyDoc
So much bling it is a good thing you have clothes on or we would see everything...

Afraid you would like what you saw? :lol:

AustinTech

Is that the standard rep dial? I've seen your shots in wristchecks and thought you got a gen dial installed. And the AR is incredible!

What a beauty and great review. Does the V3 have a better rep steel bracelet than the V2? I remember the V2 bracelet was thin and chincy feeling.