Sign in to follow this  
gmchris

21j stem refitting problem - help??

gmchris

Well i was tinkering today, like the noob that i am.

i took the stem out ( pushed button in, stem comes out ok) had the movement out and did a quick clean, then when i try to put the stem back in i can't.!

If i push it in it only goes up to the 'cone' then i push the button down and it slides in a bit furher, but although it is in the correct distance (i think) it is acting like it is clicked out, because it is turning the hands loke when you set the time. Trouble is i cant get it in any further to the 'run' position

Any ideas?

1littlegreen

Just dealt with 2 movements I received with the same issue. Keyless is botched... If you are brave, you can try and fix yourself, or send it out for a reset and service.

Katt (TD watchsmith here) ....send him an email...

Dendo

yeah - keyless works needs to be reset.

You must have pressed the stem release down too much - done it myself and even the experts do it so don't beat yourself up mate!!

andepad

gmchris

have you tried rotating the crown anti clockwise while inserting?

Give it a try... has worked for me in the past when i got problem re-inserting A21J stem...

All the best

gmchris

Ok thanks chaps - the dreaded keyless works eh? What a great way to stuff up my first rep after having it 2 weels lol

Now this is my thinking- am i right?

I've done some searching (soul searching?) and found a vid on you tube- my basic understanding is that there is a couple of wheels the stem passes through that have a flat retaining sprung clip (aka the keyless) below the stem and wheels (clutch?) when looking at the rotor side of the movement. this clip holds the wheels in place, and by pushing the stem retaining pin in too far i have pushed it into the clip, pushing the clip outa place. Also i notice that the clutch wheels seem to be loose within their space with the stem out. So this means i have to remove the hands & dial & cover plate if there is one (never even had a movement out before last week) to reseat the clip into place?

Am i basically right?

And is there a tutorial anywhere?

gmchris

Ok panic over all fixed now ( took 4 longggggg hours! )

Keyless bits had jumped. Wasn't that bad technically but having a double coverplate sandwich with days/24hr/date 3 subdials was an absolute bastard to re-assemble. I counted about 40 bits of watch on my table at one point!

Might buy some tools one day, but i managed with a filed down 99p screwdriver, putty eraser, wifes eyelashes tweezer and stuck the movement to the dining table with tape.

Next time i think i will swap the movement :-)

And all this was because i wanted to paint the tip of te secondhand red and darken the medallion to match the gen.

Before

2013-03-15142911.jpg

During the panic

2013-03-29230843.jpg

After

2013-03-30163058.jpg

1littlegreen

Fantastic!!!! Great job. Bravo!!

See, it wasn't so bad...:giggle:

Want to do mine now?

LightGeek

This is the best way to learn. I love what you did...

Only wish there were some more pics :)

1littlegreen

Next one I do I'll throw some pics up for you LG....;)

gmchris

I was gonna do stage by stage pics but i forgot during the panic- hell i had to concentrate on breathing!

Well this is the movement 21j auto.

Can't see anything from this side

2013-03-28230607.jpg

took movement out and removed dial expecting to see keyless works

2013-03-29214524.jpg

mmm. works must be under the cover then. Lets remove the coverplate

2013-03-29215151.jpg

jeeze what's all this? ok lets strip it some more . .

2013-03-29224131.jpg

oh shit- another plate. this watch is like a bloody onion! More unscrewing to see this

2013-03-29224453.jpg

at last- keyless works!

2013-03-29230725.jpg

Then unscrew keyless cover, reseat hockey stick and spring, start putting everything back together using photos taken during disassembly as a guide.

Phew!

1littlegreen

Can we get a Sticky ???? Or a tutorial ?? Please?

gmchris

i was uploading these photos and it just occurred to me, i could have filed the subdials teeth of prior to refitting and frozen the subdials, well i am off work till Tuesday . . .

TRANSPORTER

Can we get a Sticky ???? Or a tutorial ?? Please?

+1

gmchris

UPDATE!!!

Well it worked great for a few days but when i pulled out the stem on the second occasion to set the time the crown just spun loose, then would neither connect with the winding wheel OR the time setting cog, so i figured the clutch must be floating about in between them.

Time for stripdown number two.

This time the lever was resting fine on the clutch and all looked ok, until i noticed that the lever should have the spring pushing it into the winding wheel but my spring was outa position. I can only assume with my watchmaking noobness that i never noticed it the first time. You can tell te difference now, it locks up and down like a shotgun!

So if you do fix your keyless - CHECK OUT THE RETURN SPRING !

gmchris

UPDATE!!!

Well it worked great for a few days but when i pulled out the stem on the second occasion to set the time the crown just spun loose, then would neither connect with the winding wheel OR the time setting cog, so i figured the clutch must be floating about in between them.

Time for stripdown number two.

This time the lever was resting fine on the clutch and all looked ok, until i noticed that the lever should have the spring pushing it into the winding wheel but my spring was outa position. I can only assume with my watchmaking noobness that i never noticed it the first time. You can tell te difference now, it locks up and down like a shotgun! And it got it down to an hour and a half now (would be alot less without all that faux chrono layer)

l

So if you do fix your keyless - CHECK OUT THE RETURN SPRING !

gmchris

Damn android phone , how do i delete a spare post?