Sign in to follow this  
PatronSaintofChainsaws

How-To: Tinting your resin-filled indices

PatronSaintofChainsaws

As a follow up to this post on resin-filling your indices, we'll show you a simple way of tinting your resin. This helps to both give it an aged, radium-exposed appearance, and also helps impart depth. As originally posted on HomageForum.

We'll simply be using translucent paints and clear-coat to achieve the look we're after. Here are the supplies I used:

• 1 bottle Testors Dullcote Lacquer
  • 1 bottle Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow
  • 1 bottle Tamiya X-26 Clear Orange
  • 1 bottle Tamiya X-20A Thinner (optional)
  • 1 Princeton Art Size 1 brush #4000B

Picture003-4.jpg

Here's the back of my dial. The dial had resin applied as per the previous tutorial, and after curing for 48 hours, I used the griding attachment for my Dremel to grind off all the excess resin.

Picture008-4.jpg

First, we pour out enough clear lacquer to equal roughly the size of a U.S. Nickel. Then, we mix around 3-4 drops of Clear Yellow paint. It may help to add a small bit of Thinner as well, to keep the mixture from being too thick. We don't want to blend it too well, as we want to emulate the uneven coloration of aged indices.

Picture009-6.jpgPicture011-4.jpgPicture012-6.jpgPicture013-2.jpg

Next, use your brush to apply the paint across all of the indices. Try not to apply it too thick, and avoid getting the paint too close to the edge of your dial.

Picture014-4.jpgPicture016-4.jpgPicture019-1.jpg

Here's what it looks like once we let it dry. I'd leave it to dry for 30 minutes before moving on to the next step.

Picture002-8.jpgPicture003-5.jpg

Next, we pour out enough clear lacquer to equal roughly the size of a U.S. Nickel as above. Then, we mix 5-6 drops of Clear Orange paint, and adding a bit of Thinner as necessary. As before, we don't want to blend it too well.

Picture005-6.jpgPicture007-7.jpgPicture008-5.jpg

Next, use your brush to apply the paint across all of the indices. Here, I applied an initial coat and let it dry, then I applied another coat to further darken it, as the initial coat was a bit too light. Keep in mind that going too dark will affect your lume, assuming that you want the lume to be visible. Afterwards, you'll want to let it dry several hours before luming or attaching it to a dial backplate.

Picture010-9.jpgPicture013-3.jpgPicture015-4.jpg

Here's how the indices look after drying. I attached it to a solid white lumed backplate here. If you go with a different color backplate and/or lume, that will affect the final appearance.

Picture018-2.jpgPicture020-6.jpg

Here's the same dial installed in a Rad case, to give you an idea of how it would look once installed.

Picture024-3.jpgPicture025-6.jpg

Good luck with your project.

greg_r

Excellent tute... MUCH more convincing than the usual flat orange look that you see so often in these so-called vintage dials.

:nana:

GC

That is some of the nicest results I have seen, thanks for share'n!