Sign in to follow this  
Jagsman

Simple question........

Jagsman

.....if you know the answer!!!!

Sorry for how daft this must sound to some of you, however, I am looking to replace the pins that hold a strap in place.

A. How do I know which size of pins (not sure of technical term) to buy

B. how in gods name do I get the pins that re already in place out (other than just yanking the strap, I'm trying to learn some more delicate methods here!)

Also if I wanted to buy a new strap for a watch, presuming I now know how to carry out the replacement procedure, how can I tell what width to buy?

Sorry again if these seem daft questions but since finding this forum I am hooked on learning more. Being able to muck about with bracelet/strap seemed a good place to start. Then I lost the pin!

Cheers for any assistance, and if I have missed a sticky on this I apologise.

Jags

scorpion

You measure the gap between the lugs - a digital dial calliper is ideal or a ruler if not. If it s a common watch post again and someone will know. Most common are 20 + 22mm. You can get a proper tool or use a fine jeweller flat blade screwdriver to push the existing pins out - they are sprung so you need to push the screwdriver in each side and move it towards middle. Its tricky but once you have done a few pretty simple but what for the spring bar flying off - can be hard to find!.

RussP

As above in terms of how to measure the pins.

In terms of pin removal, there is a tool that is available cheaply on EBay (around 5 bucks in most currencies).

I bought one myself and it works a treat.

Good luck !!

This one comes with spare pins n all. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/8-25mm-360Pcs-Watch-Band-Spring-Bars-Metal-Strap-Link-Pins-Remover-Repaire-Tool-/130659511541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e6be9ecf5&_uhb=1

black263

When we refer to springbars, its a bit like a mini toilet roll holder, where the arms have holes in them and you compress the spindle to replace the roll. Springbars look like this

SpringBars1_zps8e6a81a2.jpg

The correct tool has a V shaped cut-out so you can trap the bar and compress it. Otherwise, as has been said, you can try using something fine like a small screwdriver, a small knife blade etc, to hook the protruberences and compress the bar.

RussP

When we refer to springbars, its a bit like a mini toilet roll holder, where the arms have holes in them and you compress the spindle to replace the roll. Springbars look like this

The correct tool has a V shaped cut-out so you can trap the bar and compress it. Otherwise, as has been said, you can try using something fine like a small screwdriver, a small knife blade etc, to hook the protruberences and compress the bar.

:B): The toilet roll holder reference made me smile. It cannot be said in any simpler terms than that !!

black263

:B): The toilet roll holder reference made me smile. It cannot be said in any simpler terms than that !!

I try to explain in terms that I can understand. If I can, anyone can.

1littlegreen

Beautiful analogy black! ;)

gmchris

Remove with the universal household tool (aka 4 inch Veg knife!) works a treat.

No-one has mentioned that some watch cases (not many but some) have pine that need punching through from one side (a giveaway is you can see a hole showing the pin ends)

Jagsman

Thanks chaps all good info, simpler terms the better!

I'm pretty sure I will return with some (possibly dafter) questions. So your patience and simple answers are appreciated!

Off to find the kitchen knife and try not to lose any fingers now!

Will probably buy a selection of springbars (now I know what they are called) to work out the right size, digital dial calliper comes next!

Thanks again

Jags

Jagsman

Fixed!!! Thanks chaps! Local watch repair man gave me a selection of toilet roll holders (springbars) for the ridiculous sum of four quid.

Sme swearing later the thing was fixed using the sharpest knife in the house.

Toolkit on the way and I'm off to order a new 20mm strap!

Quite addictive all this!

dalboy

Fixed!!! Thanks chaps! Local watch repair man gave me a selection of toilet roll holders (springbars) for the ridiculous sum of four quid.

Sme swearing later the thing was fixed using the sharpest knife in the house.

Toolkit on the way and I'm off to order a new 20mm strap!

Quite addictive all this!

Your a man on a mission now..!!

Addictive !!!

No ..

Picturewatches197.jpg

Dal...

HeavyKrush

Wow Dal, that's quite a collection mate.

1littlegreen

dal.....you need a sale!!! ;)