Sign in to follow this  
Footballer45

A kind hello from UK

Footballer45

Hi Fellas,

Dropping you all a quick msg to say 'hi' and that I'm very happy to have happened upon your forum.

Seems a great place to acquire sound advice, which is exactly what I need. I'm overwhelmed with the choice available - both the vast variety of replicas of the same watch and their many configurations and then the outlets available to buy them from.

I have 2 gens which I've had for a while, however I'm looking to grow my collection more affordably (ahem) over the coming months, starting with a Cartier Santos 100 Chrono. Any pointers would be most welcome.

I've already checked out Silix and Kavarsit, whom both seem to stock good looking, quality pieces. My only problem being that I don't really know what I shoud be paying as a first run-out, giving that I prefer full Swiss movement and basically don't want people to notice its a rep on inspection. (Cynical friends haha)

Anyhow, all the best and I'll probably be seen posting about the forums.

Cheers,

John

dalboy

Nice intro John..

Welcome to the Asylum...oop's i mean Forum.. :giggle:

Dal.

Kal-el

Hello and Welcome :D

onionbag

Hello and welcome John. :)

themannier

Welcome to the mad house :stars:

Cyril_Clunge

Hello John :wave: welcome to RWG :)

PeterPotamus

Hello and Welcome :)

964boy

Hope you enjoy your stay

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

solrac

Welcome to the forum and yeah, a Santos today, a something-else tomorrow, and yet another-thing the next day.

SSTEEL

Welcome to RWG John. :)

When you choose your TD, email them first to ask about availability of the watch you wish to buy as the stock available shown on the websites is very inaccurate.

Footballer45

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps.

Ive been sifting though reams of pages trying to pinpoint the best variation of Santos 100.... There seems to be 'ultimates', 'best yet', Swiss, Asian, high grade, etc etc and the majority of them all look good. The difficulty is that each website has their own grading terminology (and pricing) which makes it nigh on impossible to properly compare across dealers.

Whilst I'm stressing over the above, I'm also at the same time trying to nail down which AP Royal Oak I'm gonna buys - this seems to be a little easier though, as theres less choice and more obvious standardisation across the dealers.

On I go....

John

BadPickle

Morning John.... Don't forget to check out the "member sales section". Always a bargain to be had there!!

Good luck mate!

greg_r

Hi mate, welcome!

The Santos chrono is an excellent watch and not in as short supply as the XL non-chrono. I suspect that most dealers should still be able to supply. You won't get a Swiss movement, however - the Swiss 7750 is an expensive movement and would put the watch up close to the $1000 mark. The version you want is the one with the A7753, which tends to be more reliable than the A7750 in my experience. You'll pay around $400 for the watch, and it looks very close to the gen overall.

If you want to spend less, consider the quartz version - it uses the same case-set as the more upmarket varieties, as I understand, so looks the part, but is a lot cheaper. Of course, you won't get the smooth-sweeping second hand, but it's a reasonable compromise for $160ish

Dinicol

Welcome, and enjoy the ride!!!

callsign21a

Hi John...........................and welcome to the forum

Corv99

Welcome from Newcastle John!

What Greg says ...... The santos is one of the best available, and whilst Swiss is desirable , 7753 solves sunken date wheel

And to be fair is a good movement and widely used... I have a lot of 7750 movement pieces, all great..

Enjoy!

replicas

Welcome - I have a 7750 Chrono version for sale - will be advertising it soon but you have a PM :)

Edited by replicas

TheSav

G'day and welcome.

DR3M3L

Hello and welcome! :)

Whorologist

Welcome my fellow noob!

Footballer45

Many thanks to all who've posted.

Greg - much appreciated that fella. That's answered a lot of questions and although I probably would plump for the $800-900 Swiss version, the consensus seems to suggest that it just isn't worth the outlay, considering the reasonable reliability of the 7753.

I take it this A7753's exterior quality is there or thereabouts with the Swiss movement versions? (I'll probably have a hunt around for a genuine croc strap once I take a look at what arrives)

I'll check that out PickledBeetroot and Corv99, I'm also in Newcastle. Small world...

Thanks to everyone else for their time :)

greg_r

Greg - much appreciated that fella. That's answered a lot of questions and although I probably would plump for the $800-900 Swiss version, the consensus seems to suggest that it just isn't worth the outlay, considering the reasonable reliability of the 7753.

I take it this A7753's exterior quality is there or thereabouts with the Swiss movement versions? (I'll probably have a hunt around for a genuine croc strap once I take a look at what arrives)

I understand it's the exact same watch - the only difference is the gen 7753 movement.

replicas

Am I right in thinking that there is no such thing a a "genuine 7750 swiss movement" they are all Chinese or Japanese? :)

Edited by replicas

Footballer45

I understand it's the exact same watch - the only difference is the gen 7753 movement.

That's superb Greg - exactly what I was hoping to hear. Do you have one?

Corv99

I'll check that out PickledBeetroot and Corv99, I'm also in Newcastle. Small world...

Thanks to everyone else for their time :)

Really?

It is indeed :lol:

There are a couple of guys on here from toon!