Sign in to follow this  
TAGster

My New Seamaster Aqua Master Blue Dial - PIC HEAVY

TAGster

Just wondering, do you have a link or have advice how to takes pictures like that with all black background and just the watch being highlighted? Guidance would be greatly appreciated

Hi Mate,

Honestly I do not have a link, but what do I have is an advice and I am more than glad to share it here with you... in fact, you gave me an idea to start a thread about how to achieve that type photos, but in the meantime here are some advices:

1. Use a lightbox with a black drop for background. You can get a cheap lightboxes from amazon or ebay, or any specialized photography store.

2. Do not use the lights provided with the lightbox (if any) to illuminate the scene. I prefer to place the lightbox in a table near a window and use the natural light to subtly illuminate some parts of the watch that I do not want to appear highlighted on the photo, mainly the bracelet and the cushion where I place the watch for some photos.

This is the equipment and method I particularly use to make my shoots, but if you do not have it, don´t worry, you can use a different equipment to get the photos:

3. In order to highlight the watch dial I always use a remotely triggered flash unit, which I place to one of the sides of the light box or right above the lightbox, it depends on the angle you want to photograph the watch.

4. Use a low ISO (generally 100), small aperture (f8 - f11) and the fastest possible flash synch shutter speed which in most cameras (DSLR) is 1/200 sec. You can set the white balance to AUTO and later change it on the photo edition software.

5. Use a half of power in the flash unit, you don´t want to wash out the watch with too much light power.

Making the shoot without flash unit or DSLR:

4. Again, place your lightbox near the windows to allow the natural light to illuminate it completely. Take one of the lights provided with the lightbox, if no lights came with it, you can use a regular lamp with a fluorescent bulb that provide cool light, maybe a 85watt that has 5500k temperature, you can get those in any hardware store. Well, place the light really near of the one side of the lightbox, you can play with the light and watch position to see where is the best angle to get the dial highlighted.

5. For the camera settings, If I´ll be using the continuos lighting (lamp) then I´d pump the ISO up to around 400, use a wider aperture f4.5-f6.3 and slower a little bit the shutter speed, maybe starting on 1/100. At this point is just matter of trial and error: made the shoot and if necessary, make some corrections to the settings.

6. The final step for both methods (with flash or with continuous light) would be to edit the images on a photo editor in order to change the white balance, enhance contrast, highlights, reduce shadows and increase mid contrast, until you get the desired effect and the final image you are expecting. For this I work on Aperture and Lightroom (that is my workflow) but you can use either if you are on MAC or just Lightroom if you are on Windows.

Here you have some links where you can find the lightbox and the bulbs if you need those:

http://www.amazon.com/Idirectmart-Photo-Table-Studio-Photography/dp/B004LP8G0G/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1365615077&sr=8-5&keywords=lightbox

http://www.amazon.com/Square-Perfect-Professional-Fluorescent-Photography/dp/B000W07Y5M/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1365615111&sr=1-3&keywords=photography+light+bulbs

If you have the dSLR and the flash unit, you can get this device to remotely trigger it:

http://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-RF-602-2-4GHz-Wireless-Trigger/dp/B005VM1DW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365615214&sr=8-1&keywords=yongnuo+remote

That is an affordable and trusty device. There are some other devices which are more professional but also expensive.

Well, I hope the information is useful. I´ll be working on the making of the tutorial thread and will share it with the board. I think, Dal already shared a good thread for watch photography, that could also be a good starting point and then I will post the "how to" achieve the effect of getting a highlighted watch with dark background.

Cheers mate!!

Xebryus

Awesome tutorial mate. I have most of these things at home. I just gotta figure out a way to get a black backdrop.

Essentially, it's all about a very quick shutter speed and small aperture to just pickup the highlighted item, i.e. the watch? This is all very cool stuff. Did some Google searching on this method, and as cool at the effect is, it seems VERY simple and easy. Might use this method for future M2M sales...it makes EVERYTHING look a lot cleaner :D

Thanks again for that awesome post

jeffw69

Very nice. Too bad 41.5 mm is too small for me. I went with the PO 45.5mm.

Enjoy it!

mspangl

Brilliant pics ! Congratulations :)

court

Great looking watch especially the movement. It is indeed a thing of beauty.

Olly

Oh that movement :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Congrats mate enjoy it well !!!

WebWind

Very nice watch and awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

solrac

Wow almost missed this! Glad i was able to catch up. Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing the watch and the experience @ Omega. For the amount that one is spending at the boutique, I would expect nothing less.

Wear it in good health.

solrac

Awesome tutorial mate. I have most of these things at home. I just gotta figure out a way to get a black backdrop.

Essentially, it's all about a very quick shutter speed and small aperture to just pickup the highlighted item, i.e. the watch? This is all very cool stuff. Did some Google searching on this method, and as cool at the effect is, it seems VERY simple and easy. Might use this method for future M2M sales...it makes EVERYTHING look a lot cleaner :D

Well... if i may add... shutter speed becomes less of an issue if you are using a tripod, which I recommend to anyone with a DSLR. Usually the idea of a fast shutter speed is due to being able to hand hold the shot. There are other reasons for this when it comes to freezing motion (ie: action, sports, car race, etc) but since the model in question is not moving... i recommend a tripod and then you can really get creative with light capture (ie: lume, light coming thru a window etc).

But, ultimately, all photogs have their style of photography -- -take mine with a grain of salt.

DR3M3L

You're a lucky men. :thumbsup2:

Xebryus

Well... if i may add... shutter speed becomes less of an issue if you are using a tripod, which I recommend to anyone with a DSLR. Usually the idea of a fast shutter speed is due to being able to hand hold the shot. There are other reasons for this when it comes to freezing motion (ie: action, sports, car race, etc) but since the model in question is not moving... i recommend a tripod and then you can really get creative with light capture (ie: lume, light coming thru a window etc).

But, ultimately, all photogs have their style of photography -- -take mine with a grain of salt.

Yes understandably, but with a slower shutter speed, the sensor will ultimately pick up the backdrop, which is something I want to eliminate.

Correct me if I'm wrong? I'm a noob when it comes to different shooting techniques

flyr

Classy! As an Omega fan I'm just a little envious :snake: . Congrats!

solrac

Yes understandably, but with a slower shutter speed, the sensor will ultimately pick up the backdrop, which is something I want to eliminate.

Correct me if I'm wrong? I'm a noob when it comes to different shooting techniques

Your aperture setting takes care of that. What you are specifically after is a shallow depth of field without taking anything away from the watch. This effectively blurs your background. So the smaller the F number (larger stop) the shorter the depth of field.

Now there are strategies using the shutter... but using F Stops to control your depth of field is the "correct" way.

YJFarmer

Classy & timeless. Congrats and enjoy it!

solrac

I'll that the OP is using, for the most part, both strategies large stops (shooting at around F1.4) and super fast shutter speeds (at say, 1/1000 sec). This is allowing for all the things I mention plus one more thing... correct exposure under natural lighting.

Your aperture setting takes care of that. What you are specifically after is a shallow depth of field without taking anything away from the watch. This effectively blurs your background. So the smaller the F number (larger stop) the shorter the depth of field.

Now there are strategies using the shutter... but using F Stops to control your depth of field is the "correct" way.

edit: forgot to quote

Edited by solrac

gmchris

Initially I looked at this an thought " BORRRRING , nice watch but a bit plain " as i like mine to look a bit busy like a chronograph , or have a splash of colour like alot of the divers. But having looked again, this is a simply stunning design, and needs no gadgets or bling .

I know this because i looked back through the pics after reading the photography part of the thread, and found myself looking again and again. I didn't plan to do that, i was supposed to be looking at the lighting!

I like this- it is timeless. Wear this 20years from now and it will still look fresh, whilst a currently-trendy PO will be looking like a 1970's TV screen Seiko .

TAGster

Stunning watch!

Thanks mate!!

I am a fan of OMEGA watches, this one is fantastic !

It is. I just love it more every day... wait, it´s just been two days :D

a beauty, love the watch and blue combo, wish they repped this

Yes mate, I agree. I like more the blue dial than the black one.

TAGster

No problem Mate, my pleasure.

I´m very glad you found it helpful.

Don´t forget to share your photos with us ;)

Cheers!!

Amit

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet that's nice.

TAGster

Very nice. Too bad 41.5 mm is too small for me. I went with the PO 45.5mm.

Enjoy it!

Thanks mate!

I just have to mention: this watch is even smaller, it´s 38.5mm or as Omega call it "midsize"

TAGster

Brilliant pics ! Congratulations :)

Thanks mate!!! :)

Great looking watch especially the movement. It is indeed a thing of beauty.

Yes, I can´t stop steering at that movement every time I take off the watch from the wrist... which happens to be often, just to see it again and again :D

Cheers mate!

Oh that movement :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Congrats mate enjoy it well !!!

Thank you so much!!!

Very nice watch and awesome pics. Thanks for sharing.

No, thank you for viewing and taking the time to post your comment. :)

Cheers mate!

Wow almost missed this! Glad i was able to catch up. Absolutely stunning! Thank you for sharing the watch and the experience @ Omega. For the amount that one is spending at the boutique, I would expect nothing less.

Wear it in good health.

Thank you very much mate!!

TAGster

You are correct mate. But also when using the speedlight the you can use the shutter to capture just the right amount of light on the subject, even when you are using a tripod, and speaking of which, some macro shoots were handheld, and as you correctly mention the shutter speed becomes an issue, so I needed the fastest possible, which when using the flash happens to be on my camera 1/320 using the high-synch custom setting.

Anyways, also like you said: it become a matter of styles, you know the rules on photography are just meant to be broken ;)

Thanks for your great input on this topic. :)

Cheers!!!

solrac

You are correct mate. But also when using the speedlight the you can use the shutter to capture just the right amount of light on the subject, even when you are using a tripod, and speaking of which, some macro shoots were handheld, and as you correctly mention the shutter speed becomes an issue, so I needed the fastest possible, which when using the flash happens to be on my camera 1/320 using the high-synch custom setting.

Anyways, also like you said: it become a matter of styles, you know the rules on photography are just meant to be broken ;)

Thanks for your great input on this topic. :)

Cheers!!!

I swear by my speedlight. after my initial two lens purchases it became my most important buy. unlike you (using it remotely) i use it on board and bounce the light however i can. but i agree with you 100% -- we are of one mind my friend.

TAGster

You're a lucky men. :thumbsup2:

Thanks!!

Classy! As an Omega fan I'm just a little envious :snake: . Congrats!

Thank you mate!!!

Classy & timeless. Congrats and enjoy it!

Thank you!!

Initially I looked at this an thought " BORRRRING , nice watch but a bit plain " as i like mine to look a bit busy like a chronograph , or have a splash of colour like alot of the divers. But having looked again, this is a simply stunning design, and needs no gadgets or bling .

I know this because i looked back through the pics after reading the photography part of the thread, and found myself looking again and again. I didn't plan to do that, i was supposed to be looking at the lighting!

I like this- it is timeless. Wear this 20years from now and it will still look fresh, whilst a currently-trendy PO will be looking like a 1970's TV screen Seiko .

Thank you for your comment mate!

I believe sometimes like the old saying states "less is more", but also it depends on the item. I also like the chronographs busy dials (not too busy, like Breitling´s for instance) or also the many complications watch dials like moon phases, perpetual calendars, etc.; but as of this particular model of AquaTerra, I really like the simplicity of the whole watch, it´s kind of minimalistic design: the three hands, date window and markers, and that´s it, but all those components are very well balanced so it makes a very nice looking watch.

I really appreciate your comment, thanks again. :)

Cheers!

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet that's nice.

Thanks mate!!!

McJules

gorgeous watch!!!! congrats on the new acquisition ;)