Sign in to follow this  
parisianshut

ROLEX GMT 2 - movement swap : Asian 2836-2 GMT -> HANGZHOU 6460 GMT

parisianshut

I bought a Rolex GMT master 2 from WI 6 month ago. Everything went fine since last week.

The first week some screws were untighten:

• I barely could have lost the watch because of a loose screw on the bracelet. Fortunately I was sitting behind my desk at that moment.
  • The screw attaching the rotor fell off, again I felt it right away and fix it.

i didn't read the NOOB guide at the time !!! anyway i tighten all the screws !! ^^ ahah!

After that during 6months, no problem at all ! I went to Cancun, Las vegas, morocco, swam with it in the sea, party like never before … a bit rough, for me and for the watch! ^^

Any way last week, the date was stucked between 9 and 10. I tried to change it manually but I think it broke somehow. I tried to dismantle it but I think I made it worse. At first I decided to send it to my local “watch fixer” ! but it was quite expensive 150$ for a 170$ watch ...

I even ask our TD’s to source me a new movement but it was 90$ without shipping…

And yesterday I found this :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/w...984.m1497.l2649

I paid 95$ (approx. 70€) with shipping to france.

a brand new HANGZOU 6460 movement supposedly the same as a 2836-2 with GMT (even if no such thing exist!! ETA never produced a 2836 with GMT, it's the asian factory who modified the 2836 and add the GMT complication.to be clear if you see a ROLEX GMT with a SWISS 2836 GMT... well it's asian , not swiss. There is a 2893-3 GMT in the ETA catalogue that cost 200$-250$ but that’s all

I presume the HANGZHOU 6460 is the same movement than the one in my Rolly but without the ETA stamp. I shall receive it next week. i’ll keep you update if the hands fits on the movement.

I’m sure there is plenty of modders around here searching for a cheap GMT movement.

and here is some fotos of the beauty :

20130103-P1032034_zpsb0ee2a85.jpg

533844_10151108783225583_2037444218_n.jpg

189743_10151108784830583_1548647475_n.jpg

Edited by parisianshut

Mechwarrior

Very very interesting post. keep us informed

Odyseus

The HANGZOU 6860 is an Asian2836-2 with GMT modification, so that hands will fit OK.

At least the 6860 is cheaper than a Swiss ETA2836-2 with added GMT modifcation.

I think WI charge $80 for a A2836+GMT.

I can't understand how the watchsmith wants to charge $150, just to fix the date wheel though, should be a simple enough fix??

lordsquidgy

I was watching this listing on Ebay but hesitant to pull the trigger. I will be most interested to know how you get on.

Hope it works out for you.

parisianshut

The HANGZOU 6860 is an Asian2836-2 with GMT modification, so that hands will fit OK.

At least the 6860 is cheaper than a Swiss ETA2836-2 with added GMT modifcation.

I think WI charge $80 for a A2836+GMT.

I can't understand how the watchsmith wants to charge $150, just to fix the date wheel though, should be a simple enough fix??

thank you great news ! i was pratically sure it was the same but you know, you always have a doubt!!

well the watchsmith was 150$ for movement service (did not tell him that it was broken) + waterproofing. but you have to add the shipping cost and the price of pieces if he has to change them.

SSTEEL

Great find my friend, looking forward to seeing how you get on with the transplant.

parisianshut
A french member from RWI just made the swap on a nfact Pam 029 and all worked fine (ericb196).

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/2836-gmt-donnant-139671.html

Thank you!! I read it with attention!! But i have no idea about the problem he had: the "keyless" problem with the clutch and the axe of the crown .. I read french( i am french) but have no idea what is this about!!! If you mount a ne movement you need to do something special?? I just thought to change the dial, hands and crown axe... It is more difficult than that right? ^^

"En fait, le problème de keyless est que tu perds le bon fonctionnement de l'embrayage en enlevant la couronne et l'axe de couronne du mouvement !"

parisianshut

Got an asnwer from ERIC, he explained me the Keyless issues. that wasn't clear at first but i found a nice tutorial here on RWG with everything i needed to know!

now waiting for the movement :)

paulc

The HANGZOU 6860 gets really good feedback on Watchuseek and should be a straight swap over, I looked at these when I was after a replacement. but will you have to swap the date wheel over for your original one.

parisianshut

The HANGZOU 6860 gets really good feedback on Watchuseek and should be a straight swap over, I looked at these when I was after a replacement. but will you have to swap the date wheel over for your original one.

Eric from RWI told me it was easy, just have to be carefull with the Keyless thing...

if i understood well the keyless issue, i have to take the crown out in the running position. if i don't i won't be able to put the crown back in the movement...

i don't know if i will have to change the date wheel : seems to be the same i have on my 2836-2 ...

20130103-P1032037_zps1cc6f8f2.jpg

J.Eric

i am curious to see how this turns out.

I may have to go this route once my GMT finally dies :(

paulc

goodluck with it, i found the datewheel on my 2836-2 an absolute cow to change but in the end found that it was easier to take the plate and screw off ( in your picture above it is situated at 15,16,17 on the date wheel) and not the larger plate over the keyless but hopefully you wont need to do it.

I took the crown out in the winding position and turned it slightly upon re inserting it.

submarinerblue

Were you able to make the switch without special tools? If not what tools did you need?

parisianshut

Were you able to make the switch without special tools? If not what tools did you need?

i am waiting for the movement, i did not swap it yet.

i order the RWG tool box a few months ago so i have the special tools. i will never try it without a hand remover, special screw drivers, case opener, cleaner paste, cloth, gloves, movement holder, case holder, magnifying glass, boxes, patience, lots of patience and reading lots of reading.....

as you can see on the photo below , everything is ready for the swap.

phoeeaeto_zps343f0385.jpg

ericb196

You just need the movement now and a little patience ;)

ericb196

By the way I'll have to do a second PAM029 pretty soon... It will be easy this time for me :D

parisianshut

Ok ! Done in less than an hour! I follow the tutorials and boom!

This is exactly the same mouvement... So the swap in easy. And it´s perfectly tuned -0,1sec/ day!!!

I also feel the mouvement stronger( cleaner?) the sound he makes are more crystal clear!

I am so happy to have my little rolly back ! :)

Ps: the date wheels were different, the original one was more accurate but i did not wanted to mess the movement so i decide not to change the date wheel, i may ask lewiz to do it one day though.

Thank you for all your support!! And a little photo is comin because i know you guy love that! :)

lordsquidgy

Thanks for update. Glad it worked out for you. Mine is in the air and should be arriving soon...

parisianshut

image_zpse74d30eb.jpg

image_zpsd5cd5d18.jpg

image_zpse3d078e3.jpg

ericb196

Great work !! Congratulations !

If you managed to change the movement, the date swap is really easy too ! You could have managed it I think.

parisianshut

Great work !! Congratulations !

If you managed to change the movement, the date swap is really easy too ! You could have managed it I think.

thank you :)

maybe i'll do it later. it doesn't bothers me much for now.

more manipulation = more risk.

the movement is brand new and runs like a charm. this is so precise that i may under estimate my capacity to make it right.

J.Eric

Awesome Job!!

I may have to pick one of these movements soon. My GMT is acting crazy again.

solame

thank you for this post, I have a pepsi GMT that I dropped and it developed problems, now I know what to do.

I am off to RWG shop for tools and then I will start looking for the replacement movement,

thanks again!