Sign in to follow this  
TRANSPORTER

Now look what you made me start, damn this forum!!!

TRANSPORTER

Well I started now I've stopped, only because wife is on her way home and my peace and concentration will be shattered in approx 30 mins.

Wouldn't of dreamed of doing this before I found this forum, damn it's bad for your health, bank account and numerous other bits and bobs, still this particular movement was a none worker when I started so hopefully after a strip and ultra sonic clean of the parts it might be a worker when I've finished, if it isn't I'll take it apart again and put it back together again just for the practice, again thanks guys really thanks

D9A1CFA2-6BF0-44C7-9DC5-BC9656EA2D41-3139-0000046465A7935D_zps20c19718.jpg

onionbag

Our pleasure. :)

TRANSPORTER

Yeah cheers mate!!!!!!

Whorologist

good luck!

raphy

good luck!!!

TRANSPORTER

Thanks, I've encountered my first problem on reassembly of the crown and stem and the gears on the stem, they are all seated and the bridge is in place but I'm unable to pull the stem out to adjust the hands. I'll happily continue to remake the whole movement purely for the practice, but I will get the stem correctly fitted in the end.

Guyute

Just looking at that picture makes my fingers itch.

waynu

Enjoy!!!

TRANSPORTER

Well if this one goes completely south I've another 15 to play with, got them all off the bay from a seller in India, was buying batches of 4 or 6 for approx £3.50 with free shipping

Edge22

Looking forward to follow this :D

Especially when you start to put it back together...

TRANSPORTER

Already started that bit, it's going to be a long thread purely because of time constraints due to work but I'll keep posting as I go ok

E.R.

What can I say...

Just 1 year behind you. No way back.

GL!

solrac

also if your going to do this thing i suggest posting progress pics. mistakes and successes alike.

that first pic makes me twitch.

paulc

yes post progress pics please, I have just been down this same slippery slope TWICE in the last 8 weeks....goodluck and keep us posted.

TRANSPORTER

Ok guys this afternoon I managed to get half an hour or so when I finished work so out came my light and tools and all the bits to the movement and away I went

748A194A-B60C-4FB7-B21C-AF994F9C36AC-5407-000007AD2CB6F096_zpsb23bc41a.jpg

First I put the stem back in, it's a keyless number and I had a few issues as I think you have to take it out in the hands adjustment position, which I didn't, so I had to get the clutch cogs in the right position etc, I don't think it's totally right now, but as I'm only practicing at the moment I'm not too fussed.

Next in were the minute/hour wheels, wow them holes in the jewels are tiny, also it helps if after the main wheel is in that you don't put the two smaller ones in the wrong way round. After a couple of minutes of looking at the cogs and what way they should be I realised my mistake and swapped them over.

C221CED0-73A6-4244-A980-63A99CC31E4C-5407-000007AD37131433_zps09c5f4a9.jpg

I love this wheel, it says unbreakable, don't really think that's true, this tiny screw is being a pain or it might probably be me, it won't screw down tight, yep I know it's a left hand thread and its not stripped, so it's going to take a little adjustment somewhere to get it to seat properly.

99ACAF0D-0410-4CE1-8030-543FCD00BB36-5407-000007AD4149F209_zpsa545b4ff.jpg

Screwing down the bridge, even through a magnifying lamp it was abit hit and miss getting all the wheels lined up with the holes in the jewels but with some very careful wiggling and super fine tweezers it seated lovely.

C18231B5-7D43-48BC-9372-7846F3C5F04D-5407-000007AD49C8D964_zps976554e4.jpg

Next in is the pallet, this I found a little difficult purely due to tired eyes and the fact it was my first time , again the tiny holes in the jewels and getting the pallet to seat nicely with the escapement wheel, it's quite difficult learning to adjust your movements and distances with something so fragile when using a magnifying lamp.

53C96900-8CA4-4457-8A81-A88B655B0F93-5407-000007AD57B4D40E_zps11e731cf.jpg

And finally the balance spring thingy, how bloody tricky was this bit to do, I couldn't clearly see how the pallet was connected so to say with this part, so it took me about four attempts to get this in place, finally done it though.

Well the movement wind up, (even with the screw that doesn't do up) but like before it won't actually run. Am I bothered no not really, kinda thought at the beginning that I might be a watch guru and a good ultra sonic clean for all

Bits and rebuild would have it ticking away nicely, how naive was I, should of realised when the main spring popped out its housing and I had to hand compress it again into its housing.

I'm a little annoyed only because a watch movement is a fantastic peice of engineering, and I come from an engineering background, so I feel like I've got the watch gods frowning down on me due to my ham fistedness in stripping and rebuilding this movement.

I will again take this movement apart, purely to practice working with such small components, I might aswell continue with this movement to get comfortable before I start on another movement, I've got a drawer full now so hopefully by the time I get to the last one I might just be able to get one working again haha.

Next time I'll make a full photo linked strip, and any problems I encounter to help me and also other forum users with the aid of those far more knowledgeable in this subject than us mere mortals.

TheInthusiest

Looks great!

TheSav

I am following this with keen interest to not only further my own knowledge but to share in your success. I'm thinking of doing the same thing as you and purchasing a few cheap movements to practice on just for the challenge.

10:10 Watch Repair

FWIW, unbreakable refers to an alloy mainspring. When everyone wore watches to tell the time, and steel mainsprings would frequently break and need replacing, it was quite a big deal.

Dinicol

-How interesting, -good luck.........

JohnS

What a great hobby to get into. You never know where it might take you. We are all watching intently. I'm sure you will inspire others.

trevsdad

Very interesting...I'm about to do this also. (...waiting for few more tools and a movement holder) By the way, I feel you, re: peace and quiet and the family. I love 'em but can't get a thing done when they're in the house. I try to do some of this late when they're sleep.

TRANSPORTER

Thanks for the input guys, well an unbreakable main spring, it was a total nightmare trying to recoil it between finger and thumb and then trying to place it back into its housing!!! Might of stretched it a little rewinding it but fingers crossed.

The next time I start to strip this one I will take a full pictorial history and post as I go along, I'll attach it to this thread so you all know where to look ok, I'll probably start in the next few days, pending on time and domestic harmony, peace, quite, no interruptions and most of all no time constraints, that's all I ask haha.

trevsdad

...if you haven't closed up the barrel, you might want to oil the spring especially if u recoiled it with your fingers instead of a winder. Residue from your skin could rust or degrade the metal over time.

Thanks for the input guys, well an unbreakable main spring, it was a total nightmare trying to recoil it between finger and thumb and then trying to place it back into its housing!!! Might of stretched it a little rewinding it but fingers crossed.

The next time I start to strip this one I will take a full pictorial history and post as I go along, I'll attach it to this thread so you all know where to look ok, I'll probably start in the next few days, pending on time and domestic harmony, peace, quite, no interruptions and most of all no time constraints, that's all I ask haha.

TRANSPORTER

Cheers bud, I'll make sure that I'll give it an oil, that's the bits I'm waiting for myself (oiler kit) once that arrives I can do a proper service (complete noob service that is) so the next strip and rebuild might include an oil or it might not, tools arriving in time.

TRANSPORTER

Mmmmmm this little piece started to work today, well kind of, I replaced the dial and hands and wound her up, and hey presto started running (albeit I had to give the balance wheel a little nudge to get it going) it ran great for just over half and hour then stopped.

The main spring still has lots of tension left in it, I have ultra sonically cleaned all parts but have not oiled any on the rebuild as I was only practicing working on movements.

I will do a little reading on care and maintenance of main springs, and see if I can get this little thing ticking away nicely.

Oh and I stripped and rebuilt another movement today!!!

Some tease shots for you

null_zps0e6843e7.jpg

null_zps9517f9d9.jpg