Sign in to follow this  
DG335

Rep vs Gen Breitling Abyss 42mm in Yellow. "Man in Street perspective"

DG335

So I sold a WI rep to a fellow member recently and missed it so much I went and bought the Gen while passing through Heathrow. At the same time a TD (Toro) shipped me a swiss mechanism Rep out in 5 days!!

I often read with some interest other more enthusiastic members accounts of reps vs gens that sometimes pass me by in the level of detailed analysis. Some may say a touch anal retentive in nature..I say each to their own.

Anyway, here's my man in the street assessment of a great Rep vs its Gen brother.

So first up a few shots

IMG_0556_zps2e8c31be.jpg

IMG_0557_zps0de93f84.jpg

IMG_0558_zps2ba7dbf0.jpg

IMG_0566_zpse1542bd2.jpg

IMG_0565_zps63c98bb2.jpg

IMG_0564_zps94f96d1e.jpg

IMG_0561_zps809529d9.jpg

IMG_0568_zps1d803689.jpg

IMG_0559_zps9c0e71f0.jpge97669ad-1f8f-4824-9f64-59dcd666c6ea_zpsa7ee8479.jpg0ec76ea5-8390-46ad-89d8-672f08bc9b4a_zps49f4132b.jpg

IMG_1712_zps682b9a96.jpg

IMG_1713_zps8122de6c.jpg

IMG_1715_zpscf9f6301.jpg

Overall Appearance

To be honest and at 3 feet without my specs I was fucked...The appearance side by side was enough to suggest the £1850 may have been a substantial waste of cash.

With my specs on things started to suggest some minor differences that didn't really detract from the Rep but indicated why there was a higher value on the Gen.

1. The first thing I noticed was that the quality of cut on the hand/minute hands and pointer was significantly better. It is most probably laser cut. The Gen looks like high quality steel around the edges of the pointer/hands and under real magnification you can see the differences.

2. The numbers on the outer bezel are actually more well defined on the Rep, the Gen having slightly thicker and less rounded characters.

3. The outer bezel on the Rep itself appears less smooth and marks more easily. The bezel movement is surprisingly good on the Rep.In some respects its smoother without being looser.

4. The Rep's inner yellow ring is a slightly different yellow.

5. The marking engravings on the back are much deeper on the Gen and the numbers are deeper and less well defined. The Rep numbers are clearer but not as deep and wide in engraving.

Lume

Yep , the Gen is much better, brighter and lasts longer

Strap and Buckle

I couldn't tell much difference with the rubber or the stamp markings at anything other than very close up. The emblem is raised higher on the Gen then Rep and the inner finish marginally better.

Weight

There is no perceptible weight difference.

Accuracy

The Gen came out of the box at +1s/day left on an auto winder. The Rep came from Toro doing -9s/day but after regulating I managed to get it to +2-3s/day. Swiss mech seems to match the original well.

Overall

Well, I wear the original for work. Its a great everyday watch. I dive and will probably swap the the Rep after testing.

I'd argue that unless you have money to burn then you will get as much satisfaction from Toro's $312 swiss version (or $100 less for Asian) and its more an emotional than rational decision on purchasing the Gen..

Doh..!!

Anyway bought a Omega UPO at the same time so I'm waiting for the Watch International version to arrive to do a similar comparison.

highergame

can't wait to see your omega comparison... thanks for this I swear the more I look at these the more I love them. Pm me if you end up listing it in m2m sales

Jose Betancur

thanks for the review! its a great rep! i'm a little anal about fonts.. that 30 looks wonky :S but its a rep at the end of the day :D

Wriggles

Very cool DG very cool. Watches of Switzerland in LHR I presume

PeterPotamus

nice review, thanks for taking the time and sharing with us

Del

Nice review! :thumbsup2:

I always thought these were very good reps but it's nice to see first hand the direct comparison with the gen.

DG335

Imibcn - bang on although it was T5 and M&W (same group)

TheSav

There really isn't much separating them at first glance. The only thing I really noticed was the position of the date window. They are such a nice watch. I had to pass the one I bought from you on though as I found it wore too small for my liking.

BluffCityBandit

Thanks for the comparison. Seems I almost buy this rep every week.

TheTinMan

I noticed the lume dots on the chapter ring right away. Maybe it's just me, but they are such an obvious tell. Are they that pronounced in person?

DG335

Yes, if you mean weak retention of Lume..yes very poor on rep.

dalboy

Nice review DG..

I agree with you that from a distance it would be bloody hard to tell...but same would be true with a lot of the new generation reps..

Dal..

digger2

Thank's for the review, very interesting!

DG335

Dal, one of the advantages of becoming a old fucker..the eyes go. Every rep from PatPong looks like a super..

:-)

SSTEEL

I noticed the lume dots on the chapter ring right away. Maybe it's just me, but they are such an obvious tell. Are they that pronounced in person?

I agree, rep has darker lume dots.

gtwc

Great review - thanks.

You certainly got great value for money with the rep.

I really like these -side-by-side / rep v gen' comparisons - you can't beat them.

My ancient eyes are now so bad I don't bother setting the date 'cos I can't see it anyway!

Maybe that's why I love dateless Pams.

:giggle:

rusky27

Great to see it side by side like this, I've a yellow and the only fly in the ointment is the shade of yellow which is lighter (I've a gen yellow and black brietling strap, which shows the difference) that's it lume dots - which I've been lucky with.

Still one of my favourites and IMHO a very good under the radar rep.

Ianp

Great review. I like the 42mm and the 44mm though and can't decide which one to the pull the trigger on though. Choices, choices.

DG335

H Lanp - got the 44mm today just cant be arsed to post again!

IMG_0574_zpsee888e61.jpg

IMG_0573_zpsa6a3157a.jpg

dalboy

Dal, one of the advantages of becoming a old fucker..the eyes go. Every rep from PatPong looks like a super..

:-)

Too bloody true .

Dal.

Ianp

IMG_0574_zpsee888e61.jpg

IMG_0573_zpsa6a3157a.jpg

Very nice. I think I'm now convinced it should be the 44mm. Might have to get the rubber strap too though!

Mystery Shopper

Great review- very close & now I'm gonna notice my lume dots more and more. Its a relatively easy mod though.

SAM_1310.jpg

onzenuub

Great review wil be added in the best rep reviews database sooooooooooon.

DG335

IMG_0574_zpsee888e61.jpg

IMG_0573_zpsa6a3157a.jpg

Very nice. I think I'm now convinced it should be the 44mm. Might have to get the rubber strap too though!

Buy a custom from serge. He does a great black rubberised with red or orange sides to match colour of pointer

DG335
Great review- very close & now I'm gonna notice my lume dots more and more. Its a relatively easy mod though.

SAM_1310.jpg

Yes but funnily I actually only notice the numbers on the bezel now..they are really thinner and more precise in definition on rep..however took rep for a weekend to Malaga and it still fools everyone :-). Gen sits in its comfy box at home!