Sign in to follow this  
tc670207

Project Update - TC DWO V3

tc670207

I mentioned I paid a visit to a fellow apprentice of my seller in "Dial Maker and Pam Maker - TC's Progress Update Part II". Well, Sifu L is a walking plugged Wikipedia of both gen and rep watches. I wore a TC 16610 Sub v4 with gen insert when I met him. I handed over what I have achieved to the master when he asked about the watch. He looked at it for a few seconds then he pointed out a few places I overlooked the details. The "Date Wheel Overlay" being one.

Rolex has slightly modified the date font into a more elegant, eye appealing font in 2009 or 2010. The mod was subtle but important. See, human eyes can accept more information than our brains could interpret to words. We sense the work of art and feel joy about it but few among us would be able to articulate the subtle differences.

Sifu L is convinced that I am determined to get the classic Submariner 16610 perfectly repped. So he made a list of contacts I should pay visit to. My first stop is a printing company hidden in the overly crowded modern Asian city streets.

The hostess first placed my gen 2010 16610 date wheel on a gigantic glass drum.

TC-DWO-V3-01_zps9dcefe30.jpg

Then she carefully placed the glass drum into this machine.

TC-DWO-V3-02_zps26c4afc7.jpg

It is a Crosfield 6250. What does it do? It scans the hell out of the DWO with high DPI out of the original script. Our usual home/office scanners output at 300 DPI, 600 DPI the most. This running antique output a scary 12,000 DPI.

Here's a video I found on youtube of actual footage the machine scanning something.

After the scanning is done, the Japanese contessa is doing her magic tricks on the scan.

TC-DWO-V3-03_zps48a97b5c.jpg

She pulled TC V2 DWO draft in red and layered it against the gen 2010 V Sub DWO scan in black. Now I want to make a note here, difference this subtle is very very hard to notice. Your eyes may see it, your brain will comprehend and enjoy the more elegant curve, font I mean, but you will not notice it in just 2.5 x magnitude. On the screen, it is 400 times of actual size of the DWO.

TC-DWO-V3-04_zps15b0836d.jpg

Then she individually turn the numbers into semi transparent layer and gradually worked the draft to fully matched with the gen DWO scan for printing.

TC-DWO-V3-05_zpsd5bbbeb4.jpg

Some members reported TC DWO V1 and V2 are a tad left justified. I do not think it is the print that is left justified. I've talked about the issue in "TC Submariner with Gen ETA 2678" It is more likely the dial feet have 0.01 or 0.02 mm variance. Simply give it a tap at the opposite position on the edge of the dial will fix DWO being, well seemingly, left justified. That is also why I encourage members to first practice with TC DWO V1.

Let's hear the final verdict. TC DWO version 2.

TC-DWO-V3-06_zps74de36d3.jpg

Gen 2010 V Sub.

TC-DWO-V3-07_zps6ef4256d.jpg

TC DWO version 3 pilot sample.

TC-DWO-V3-08_zpsf7bb9e07.jpg

Where the hell is the difference? You may ask. First of, take a good look at 2, you'll notice the font is different, especially on the upper level. TC DWO version 3 is a lot closer to gen. Then you'll notice the beginning and ending of 7 is totally different on the V2 and gen. V2 is more of a clean cut from the beginning to end while gen has more Roman-ish beginning and end. The V3 pilot samples have some rough edges, like leaked ink. I gave the printing company this feedback and they will work on it. My first batch of TC DWO V3 is scheduled to arrive in the second week of May.

Apologies for the delay to members who placed orders recently.

I'll be talking about this in the next episode of Project Update.

TC-Pearl-01_zps525267dc.jpg

Thanks for reading.

TC

4/25/13

Amit

Awesome work I see that the quest continues.

James.

TC, brilliant as always. Now you just need to sell me your "perfect insert" and ill be happy as larry :D

ticktickboom

Another step closer to the ultimate TC sub...awesome!

Any news on that DSSD?

solkryssare

Great news!!

dalboy

All good stuff....12,000dpi...Damn !!

Love reading all these..

Dal.

Xebryus

Tc blog is just some of the best reading around

SSTEEL

Attention to detail is where it's at. Great work Thomas!

scorpion

Very interesting stuff - my worn out eyes won't see the differences, have trouble seeing the time on a bad day!

TheSav

WOW. Just wow.

LightGeek

Now all we need are some 42mm TC date wheels... I'll be first in line for a v1! :)