Sign in to follow this  
Rob4092xx

Need advice on these GMTII's

Rob4092xx

I am about to pull the trigger on a GMT II from Trusty. (Really been impressed by his e-mail communication!)

Looking at this Ultimate for $128

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&product s_id=10349

And this Ultimate for $248.

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&product s_id=10351

Can any of you experts chime in and let me know what you think about these two watches. It appears as if they are the same watch, just different movements.

Are there any obvious differences between these and the gen that the average person could see.

These both come with a metal bezel insert. Do the gens have metal bezel inserts?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me make my choice!

LightGeek

Are there any obvious differences between these and the gen that the average person could see.

Presumably you're an average person. What obvious differences do you see so far?

conx

They seem to be the same basic watch with different movements.

The lower priced one has a lo-beat movement, which means the second hand does not sweep quite as smoothly as the high-beat movement in the higher priced watch. However, unless you look really close, it's not wasy to tell the difference.

The lower priced watch is in IMO a better bet. This movement is generally considered a better GMT movement as the extra gears which drive the GMT hand are native to the movement, whereas on the high-beat movement, these gears have been added. Sometimes this causes problems such as the GMT hand slipping - although not always, there are many many people who have had no issues.

It all comes down to the sweep. If you are ok with a lo-beat movement, get the cheaper watch, but if you think the high-beat movement (which is what a gen would have) is important to you and you are prepared to take a slight risk of some possible challenges with gmt hand then that is the one to go for. Only you can decide :)

If you do a search there are several threads about the pros and cons of these GMT movement and the issues with slipping GMT hands.

skin_oi_skin

Buy the cheapie. Wear it, love it, if it becomes the daily watch that you can't live without buy the better version. That's what I do anyhow.

Odyseus

Go for a vintage 1675 rep and the hand stack will be correct!!

Socalidol

i prefer to get whats more legit, if its worth buying, its worth buying right

LightGeek
i prefer to get whats more legit, if its worth buying, its worth buying right

Unfortunate none are right. Either the dial text spacing is off or the bezel. See my showdown thread.

Odyseus

Which us why I got Trevor a cartel 1675, modified the CG, got a Clarke crystal and bezel assembly. Also fitted a low beat Swiss ETA 2848 and swapped the GMT parts. Looks very close to genuine and a lot of Modders age the watch to make it look vintage (eg faded bezel, brown line etc)

The trouble with all GMTII's are that the wrong hand stack is a massive tell it's a rep!!

LightGeek
Which us why I got Trevor a cartel 1675, modified the CG, got a Clarke crystal and bezel assembly. Also fitted a low beat Swiss ETA 2848 and swapped the GMT parts. Looks very close to genuine and a lot of Modders age the watch to make it look vintage (eg faded bezel, brown line etc)

The trouble with all GMTII's are that the wrong hand stack is a massive tell it's a rep!!

Fortunately you'll sooner be called out for bad dial text spacing than hand stack.