Sign in to follow this  
mbjoer

Admiral's Cup Competition Quartz

mbjoer

First a warning: I am writing this to those members who are interested in quatz reps. Those who on principle do not like quartz will not like this one either and might as well skip this post.

(I'm sorry to have to start like this, but I have seen too many anti-quartz outbursts here... :cheesy: )

Now to the post:

Recently I got this Corum which on one website is descriped as "Same Structure as 7750 Version".

As I want to add some quartz watches to my collection and like Corum in general terms, I thoght it worthwhile to test it out.

What is clear is that this one suffers from the two most obvious flaws for quartz versions of automatic watches. The sub-dials are wrong and the seconds are ticking.

So how does it hold up as a rep?

There is little point in comparing to the Gen. The rep is a quartz version of an automatic, and so is visually different from the Gen. And the 7750 version.

But one is unlikely to meet a similar one in real life, and so to me the main point becomes the extent to which it becomes a plausible and attractive rep, as well as good value for money.

The first point is that a lot of effort has gone into the detailing of this watch. It really is well built and looks and feels like a very nice watch in it's own right. The dial has been re-arranged to fit the smaller dials and some additional numerals have been added. On its own it works well.

The dial sparkels and looks like a Corum to the 99.9% of us who are not intimately familiar with the dial placement on the specific models.

Also the shape of the running seconds dial makes it somewhat hard to notice the ticking which should have been a seeping movement.

The case, crown, clasp, strap and in particular the case-back are very well done.

In all I think this watch looks pretty good, even if not perfect. It passes the "good-enough" and the "good-value-for-money" tests.

It is not by any means 1:1, but with a small brand like Corum, does that really matter? In looks and feel, this is Corum and only if you get very close are you likely to notice the ticking on the running seconds.

You may have other thoughts about this, so I will let you decide for yourselves based on the pictures which I hope will provide a reasonable feel for the watch:

The Front:

058.jpg

059.jpg

Comment: Dial looks as sparkeling and colourful as a Gen Corum. The dials are balanced, but perpahs not quite as well balanced as on the automatic version.

The Case back:

051.jpg

Comment: The same as the 7750 version and any bit as detailed as the Gen. Excellent.

The Crown:

002.jpg

005.jpg

The Clasp:

008.jpg

055.jpg

056.jpg

The Strap:

054.jpg

And finally wrist shots:

001.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by mbjoer

dingle

great post again MB....and super nice pics :wub:

Member X

I do like these, I just have too many other things above them in my list :woo:

Quartz is also a good thing sometimes. My cheap and inaccurate to gen quartz BR01 is the only watch I trust to keep really good time :wub: lol

oscarmadfish

i like it

Hoopoe

Are these still available? I was only planning to buy one watch when I joined, but I really like the Corum....

Luthier
I was only planning to buy one watch when I joined...

:lol:

Yeah... rrright...

Member X
Are these still available? I was only planning to buy one watch when I joined, but I really like the Corum....

The Matrix has you :dingleberry-nemesis::unsure:

Balad1

Great post OP.

nadn1

Hi mate, where did you buy this quartz from? All the tds i have looked at can source corums only in automatic. Thanks

Bonnovox

Hi mate, where did you buy this quartz from? All the tds i have looked at can source corums only in automatic. Thanks

Kuvarsit, Trust time and Silix have quartz Version

they are all TD

nadn1

yes thanks for your reply. but you are 3months late :P

gvln68

great review! thanx

justwannalook

Anyone have one of these rubber straps they are looking to part with? Have one coming on the stainless bracelet, but love the look of the white face on the rubber strap as well!