KrakDrazh

Looking for PAM 253i

KrakDrazh

Hi all!

Looking to buy my first PAM.

So far all current versions seem to be good, even though the lume apparently is better on the ones from H-factory. Some dealers write mineral and some saphire, even though they have the same version.

Then i noticed that Kuvarsit had a version where the lume numbers seemed more white instead of greenish like the other ones.

So now i wonder, what version to go for and what dealer can get the specific version? Have gotten a few "out of stock" also.

I would appretiate all help i can get to pick the correct version (and for the right reasons).

Have a great day all!

Higs

I don't know if you have an account on RWI but there is a very good guide to PAMs there: http://www.replica-w...iew-107365.html

It looks like there is only one good rep of this watch from the 'H factory'. Many of the TDs here will be able to get it if it's still available but TrustyTime and PerfectClones have a good relationship with H fact so may be worth starting there.

If you don't have RWI accesss, I'll copy some of it over for you.....

PAM253-finalcopiar.jpg

EVALUATION: (*) FIRST CLASS REP (I-series from H maker) (with some restrictions due to inaccurate movement, see comments)

The PAM 253 is like a PAM 212 but with decorated Clou de Paris dial

The PAM 253 is similar to a PAM 286 but “Flyback” instead of “Rattrapante” (PAM 286 has marked with blue the previous five minutes before the starting of the Regatta in the minute counter)

In 2006 I–series Panerai released a Unique Edition of 500 watches PAM 253 to celebrate the Panerai Classic Yachts Challege 2006.

A “Flyback” chronograph can work like a regular chronograph, starting-stopping with the pusher @2 and returning to zero pressing the pusher @4 after stopping with pusher @2.

But this type of chronograph has also this special “Flyback” function, also known as the “retour en vol” or Taylor function, which is very simple to operate. The “Flyback” function is used while the chronograph is running (without stopping by pressing the pusher @2) pressing the return to zero pusher @4, immediately returns the large blued centre hand to zero (we repeat: without having to stop it first) and the hand instantly starts again when the button is released. See Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G8CXrY0rz0&feature=related

The gen PAM 253 features this special technical function by means of the Panerai calibre OP XIX, an automatic movement with a column wheel system controlling the chronograph functions.

The appearance of the “Flyback” function was catalyzed by the first watch with a separate chronograph button (the stop and reset functions were previously controlled by the winding-crown). This watch appeared in 1923 and was developed by Breitling SA

The chronographs have afterwards gained the form which they retained until today. In 1934 the Breitling chronographs received the second chronograph button with the function of returning the seconds hand to zero. Thus it became possible to measure short intervals of time using the add function. However the patent of the “Flyback” chronograph belongs to Longines with its first “Flyback” chronograph dating back to 1936.

This “Flyback” complication is impossible to get by the replicas and threfore they have False “Flyback” function. Moreover, the Display caseback denounces an, obviously, inaccurate movement. Due to the best versions of these replicas, I-series from H maker have an impressive construction quality, we have classified them as First Class reps, but if we cannot live with such a flaws we should consider them as only very good reps.

You can see a fantastic pictorial of PAM 253 I from H maker here:

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/pcteam-pam253i-mega-124678.html?p=1222634 by Del

TheSav

Wow Higs. Talk about above and beyond.

KrakDrazh

Thanks for a great answere!

Since Kuvarsit was added after the review was written, anyone that have bought their version that can compare?

Higs

Looking at the pics on the Kuvarsit website, it looks like their 243 is H-series.

It may be that this is a Kuvarsit special but the RWI PAM guide is kept up-to-date so if there was a significant Kuvarsit version, I'd expect it to be included (the recent 'boutique' editions are).

It may be that Kuvarsit is still selling the H-factory V4 (h-series) - if so, there is a better version available.

It may be that Kuvarsit is now selling the H-factory V5 (i-series) but hasn't updated the pictures.

The best approach would be to ask.

Here's something I found on the differences between V3 (i), V4 (h) and V5 (i)......

I think its very important to not get confused. Both V2 and V3 and current V5 models were released as "I" series. The H-series is exclusive to the V4 production.

Unlike many other pams, It's much easier to refer to the 253 by Version numbers rather than serial numbers. This is one of the few limited edition pams that had HUGE success. Probably 90% of all 253 reps sold in the last 5 years have "I" serials.. so It's easier if you refer to them as V3, v4, v5 etc. I know this is difficult as many dealers don't even refer to the versions correctly. I think I'm one of few people on RWG that have memorized the 5 different versions that have been offered of this watch.

The genuine serials that I've seen are only "I" serial numbers, but maybe there are some "H" serial gens around. There were only 500 253s made in the world, and were only produced in 2006.

The NEW "I" series is much improved over all previous versions. Here's a quick rundown of the new 253I vs. the 253h and v3 253I models:

V5 253"i":

Corrected dial font

Correct blue needle

Correct dial ring with minute markers sepearated from tachy ring.

Superior Hobnail finish on dial

BEST Crown Guard ever seen

Good caseback with correct "I" serial number with non-slanted "i" like previous I-series

Good Subdial rings with well defined edges

Incorrect Sapphire crystal

V3 253"i":

Dial font too thin

Needle way too dark

Dial ring not separate from tachy ring

shallow hobnail finish

"I" is slanted on serial on caseback

Incorrect "D" shaped crown guard

Subdial rings are shallow and less pronounced

Incorrect Sapphire crystal

V4 253 "H" is exact same as V3 except:

crown gaurd slightly better shaped, but still not perfect.

Many V4s use 212 casebacks

Some have V3 casebacks

Some have correct "h-series" casebacks

The latest version of the 253 is the finest example yet.

stefan202

This is some great information here. I'm trying to find the best TD to order a 253I V5 through, as well and currently have emails out to Kuvarsit and WatchInternational.

stefan202

Does anyone make the PAM 253 with an automatic movement other than the A7750? I'm about to order one, but with all of the issues other RWG users seem to have with the A7750, I'm wondering if it's worth it to try and find another really good cloned movement that's based on something other than an A7750?

Daywatch

The 253 (and 212) with their 50´s casing and domed glass are fantastic looking PAM´s (with the drawbacks of open caseback and no real flyback -function, both in real life don´t matter much imo - even some real owners are afraid of using the flyback-function or broke it).

Handle the A7750 properly and it will go a long way: thanks to Gregr http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=6101

Some pics of the similar 212 - imo it´s a great first PAM and easy to wear in many different occasions

1024x8_2243c8.jpg

PAM212Flyback1024X1954.jpg

IMG_2052crop.jpg

compared to the more modern designed (non-domed) here a 386

PAM1024_0342.jpg