Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

"Window-shopping" TD's without Websites

ellistyle1

Is it bad form to solicit a watch from a TD simply to gauge cost?

The greater question is would the cost of the same watch be about the same from TD to TD regardless of their web presence?

I'm trying not to be a tease (clock tease?) a bad inquiry to purchase ratio.

alexjustdoit

I was also wondering this, as once in a while i do the same thing. Mary/Rochest didn't seem to mind though, their email basically sounded as if they were expecting me to be only looking for information on the rep.

RichardMiami

DO NOT DO THIS TOO OFTEN. You must remember that our TDs are pretty much "mom and pop" operations, handling inquiries, purchased, payments, shipping and pain in the ass hobbyists like us every day.

LightGeek

Is it bad form to solicit a watch from a TD simply to gauge cost?

The greater question is would the cost of the same watch be about the same from TD to TD regardless of their web presence?

I'm trying not to be a tease (clock tease?) a bad inquiry to purchase ratio.

If you're just getting a quote, that's ok -- provided you're not using that to "price match" between TDs :)

ellistyle1

I haven't explicitly done it to price match--more to see availability. However, on more common models I have wondered how prices stack up (i.e. do we absorb the cost of having a pretty picture to look at on a website?).

I definitely don't want to jack with someone's livelihood.

LightGeek

However, on more common models I have wondered how prices stack up (i.e. do we absorb the cost of having a pretty picture to look at on a website?).

Yes, and each TD has differing service / service levels as well. Build your comfort with one and stick with them. The only time I deviate is if the others have a great deal, or I'm trying to back door a few reps while waiting for the main :)

DG335

However, on more common models I have wondered how prices stack up (i.e. do we absorb the cost of having a pretty picture to look at on a website?).

Yes, and each TD has differing service / service levels as well. Build your comfort with one and stick with them. The only time I deviate is if the others have a great deal, or I'm trying to back door a few reps while waiting for the main :)

In general I agree but is it really a problem to "shop around"...