Sign in to follow this  
alfa147

First visit to an AD

alfa147

First, a bit of backstory...

One of my friends works for Omega, here in the UK. She travels the world (recently back from Baselworld) and really knows her stuff. Anyway, I'm normally very careful to avoid wearing my Omega reps (Liquidmetal PO42 and cheapie PO45 Pumpkin) when I know she's going to be around.

The other day, I got caught out... I wasn't expecting her to be around, but she surprised us all. Immediately, she clocked my left wrist and homed in on the LM PO. I 'fessed up and let her check out the rep. She picked up on a few things like the pearl and He valve but, otherwise, was very impressed. Let's not forget, this is a $250 rep of a highly limited-edition piece selling for well over 10 times that amount.

Why am I telling you this? Well, we were meeting up in London to see Star Trek at the BFI Imax (excellent film, by the way. Heavy on FX but it's supposed to be in deep space, FFS), so she suggested that the missus and I meet her at the Boutique on Regents Street for full, virtually unrestricted access to the entire stock.

After trying countless watches - including the new Aqua Terra, PO Titanium, Speedmaster, Moonie, Orbis DeVille and an £86,000 skeleton tourbillon DeVille - I've reached the conclusion that I *need* to own a gen. Or two. Or three. I love my reps, but the real deal is a whole different ballgame.

The missus tried a small-size Seamaster in white (too Essex), a couple of Ladymatics (a snip at £10K a piece) and a beautiful - if slightly blingtastic - £32K's-worth of luxury-edition Constellation.

The bad news - the missus now loves gen Omegas as much as I do.

The worse news - she really (and I mean *really*) likes diamonds.

The good news - my friend has offered to pass on her 40% employee discount :)

I did ask if they accept livers or kidneys as payment but, alas, no...

alfa147

And I know, :ttiwwop:

My bad.

greg_r

Oh dear.

Reps are bad enough, but once you start on the gens you are DOOOOOOOOOMED!

:lol:

sgtguk

Lmao welcome to Gendom, leave your right arm and leg at the entrance please :suck:

TheSav

Will your friend pass on her 40% employee discount to form members too ? :)

trailboss99

Ooops, friends like that can be dangerous :D

parisianshut

40% discount ... buy 3 and resell them .... you will be able to buy the 4th for free and at full retail price ;)

(for you the guy who will say i don't know how to count : 3watches at Price let say 100u with a 40% discount = 180u for 3 watches worth 300u. lets suppose you can resell them 94% of the retail price meaning 94u you will have 102u left .... )

even easier : buy 3 at 100u with a 40% discount = 180u and resell two at 90u ... 90u+90u=180u. 3rd watch for free !

Edited by parisianshut

alfa147

I've got a couple of possible PPI payouts in the offing... Silly question, but do I put them in the "house deposit fund" or "gen Omega fund"? :/

conx

Yep, went to that boutique myself and this was the eventual result (without the 40% discount !)

P1020968_zps801be886.jpg

alfa147

Nice... I'm giving serious thought to the Aqua Terra 41.5 (blue face) and Speedmaster Racing.

SSTEEL

Thanks for sharing your experience with the visit of that lovely place that sounds like heaven. 40% discount, damn, as parisianshut said, you could get yourself a free watch with buying a few, selling, and with the profits, you gen would be free. The question is though, would your watch be free, or the mrs? lol

Hazz

Bet you would share the 40% with a fellow Alfa owner:)

HarleyMo

From reading this thread I'm thinking it was a good idea that i didn't go into the Omega boutique at the Bellageo when I was in Vegas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

parisianshut

From reading this thread I'm thinking it was a good idea that i didn't go into the Omega boutique at the Bellageo when I was in Vegas.

you can do so only after winning at the roulette !! LMFAO

jeffw69

Damn 40% is a very nice employee discount! Almost 1/2 off? I might need to go work at the Omega Boutique.

Most folks I know in retail only get 15% off tops. :dunno:

JohnPilot

Great story. I am sure you are not alone and lots of rep owners have some gens.

Its all about watches, no matter from where they come when look and quality is decent.

No we only need PICS :D

koalaakabear

I only have "1", one , uno, GEN watch ..... a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Chrono IMAG0399_zpsacb048d9.jpg Sold the other two I had.

Edited by koalaakabear

masmannan

If an employee bought 3 Gen watches, which is prolly 50% of their annual salary, I'm sure Head office would be asking serious questions.

Unless, it's bought with a few months in between purchases.

Masmannan

alfa147

If an employee bought 3 Gen watches, which is prolly 50% of their annual salary, I'm sure Head office would be asking serious questions.

I would have thought that "Head office" would have embraced the three sales that they wouldn't have had otherwise! There's a reason they give hefty discounts to staff.

Besides which, who's to say that an employee couldn't afford three gens? My friend's not exactly the Saturday morning help...

JohnPilot

My first gen was a Rolex Datejust bicolor with plexi, back in the early eightys. I spend two monts wage on this watch, freinds called my crazy. Still have it but with 36mm its too small. But still runs great on timegrapher. People used to say that is was a much too big watch :rofl:

gtwc

Can I please have your ladyfriend's phone number?

A pic would be nice as well.

:giggle:

jard89

40% employee discount, and they're still making profit! Imagine what the retail mark up must be!

alfa147

Another friend of mine used to work for Seiko... They could buy at 10% of the retail price!

Can I please have your ladyfriend's phone number?

A pic would be nice as well.

:giggle:

Alas, I feel that her rugby-playing boyfriend would not approve ;)

DR3M3L
Damn 40% is a very nice employee discount! Almost 1/2 off? I might need to go work at the Omega Boutique.

Most folks I know in retail only get 15% off tops. :dunno:

Why not an AD of multiple brands? :D Sound better to me..

chum_2000_uk

Have to agree with other posters, 40% off is a lot... I'd say it's a fair bet that 3 purchases within a few months would get noticed - I'm sure they'd have policies in place against employees buying and selling their watches for profit, and keeping an eye on employee purchases would be the way to spot it.