Sign in to follow this  
ellistyle1

Remove a Buckle from a Leather Strap

ellistyle1

I have a regular leather strap with a regular buckle. The buckle is bronze as is the watch. I want to put a different strap on the watch and I want the bronze buckle to go along with it. The buckle doesn't seem to have spring bars like at the lugs.

How does one remove a buckle without destroying the strap? There is a bar that goes all the way through and their are holes in either side of the buckle but I don't want to push it through for fear that I'll tear something up.

Curse this hobby and the thoughts that it puts in my noggin.

TheSav

If it isn't sewn in it will be screw in or springbar. Screw in just needs to be screwed out. WIth the spring bar ones i find it easier to put something small down the hole to compress the bar. It then pops out. I have a couple of little tools for this but you could also use a pin or a needle. Just be sure to not let the spring bar fly across the room :)

ellistyle1

Geesh--that was easy. Thanks. One of those things where you don't want to tear something up you just dumped a mortgage payment on. Mechanical pencils work great. Turns out they are springy.

Serge D

How do you spend a whole mortgage payment on a strap?

ellistyle1

To be accurate, it was half a mortgage payment on a watch that happened to have a strap.