Sign in to follow this  
letti001

short stem question

letti001

Sorry to bother but I have a question about my new Omega. Just bought a Ceramic Planet Ocean Ceramic from WI and it runs great but it has a problem with the stem. I have a video to show the problem and can attach it. Forgive me for the crudeness of the video but it shows the problem best. I showed this video to my TD and it was suggested that I have a short stem and to take it to a repairman. Thoughts? And thank you in advance.....Sal. http://s1304.photobucket.com/user/letti001/media/Video10_zps3515e892.mp4.html

Hazz

correct, stem problem, an easy fix, you could buy a new stem and replace it yourself,

with some help from here, or a local rep friendly watch smith could do it in a matter of minutes.

letti001

I looked up how to change the stem and it seems easy enough. But we have a watch repair person here also. If I repair it myself, can you give me the steps? I think that I know but just for verification. It is easy enough to buy a new stem as I have even seen them on Amazon for this movement.

letti001

We also have a watch smith in town so that is fine too. I just like the idea of fixing an tinkering a bit....thank you....Sal

jerkstore

What movement is it?

If the problem is indeed a short stem, you need to

(1) buy a new stem for the movement in question

(2) open the case back (maybe using a sticky ball)

(3) access the stem release mechanism (using a >=1mm precision screwdriver on an ETA type movement, and maybe tweezers with a 21j. Don't press down too hard here or you'll cause yourself another headache: a keyless works problem.

(4) unscrew the crown from the old stem (a pin vice is very useful here). Cut the new stem to the appropriate length. A bit of trial and error works: cut it long at first, screw the stem into the crown, reinsert the stem into the movement and check the results.

(5) Repeat steps (3) and (4) until you get to a good length. Then, use some low strength loctite to keep the crown from unscrewing.

(6) Screw the case back on the watch.

Done.

Edited by jerkstore

letti001

Thank you very much for your answer. It is exactly what I have perused from piecing together information from the various threads. Where would be the best place to find a stem. It is a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement in the new Ceramic PO.

DR3M3L

Thank you very much for your answer. It is exactly what I have perused from piecing together information from the various threads. Where would be the best place to find a stem. It is a Swiss ETA 2824-2 movement in the new Ceramic PO.

Look at the rwg shop! Stem set's for a few $$ :)

jerkstore

One thing you'll want to be careful about is whether the crown has a crown spring. You want the stem to be long enough that it doesnt catch on the case tube when winding, but so it does reach the tube threads when pushed it. Just go slowly. When things get close, you can sand rather than cut the stem for finer work.

diaby2afc

If a crown is glued onto the stem, what's the best way to get it out?

Hazz

Heat it first, and then unscrew, use a cloth, it gets hot.

diaby2afc

Heat it first, and then unscrew, use a cloth, it gets hot.

That would have been useful before I snapped the stem in half.

Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2