Sign in to follow this  
gowings23

Clasp repair - need some advice on adhesive

gowings23

Does anyone know of a good adhesive to use to bind two pieces of stainless steel together? This is the second clasp I've received that has had the same problem, and I think it is just a flaw in the rep design.

Any help would be appreciated.

sconehead

If there's anything suitable, Col will probably know...what watch is it off? My UN Maxi 'blue smurf' snapped last week...:D

KBH

The best I'm aware of would be a 2 part epoxy. JB Weld is about as good as any but I doubt it will repair a broken clasp. I think you'll probably need a new clasp.

trailboss99

Nothing short of a TIG welder mate. Sorry.

Col.

gowings23

This is on a DSSD and I'm pretty sure it is a flaw with the rep. The 2nd clasp I was sent broke after wearing the watch for only 4 hours. It wasn't from abuse either! Lol

trailboss99

It's a flaw then. Who is the watch from?

Col.

KBH

I've heard of that problem before. Definitely a flaw. Try getting a different clasp without the micro adjustments.

gowings23

I got it from Mark at timeshops.net. He sent me the second one, and within 4 hours of wearing the watch I could see the one side had already come apart. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I almost don't want another one because I think it will do the same thing, but it sucks I can't wear the watch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

apoopoo999
I got it from Mark at timeshops.net. He sent me the second one, and within 4 hours of wearing the watch I could see the one side had already come apart. I'm at a loss as to what to do. I almost don't want another one because I think it will do the same thing, but it sucks I can't wear the watch. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You can use epoxy, but it wont be a lasting repair. It really depends on what you are gluing, show us some pics of the damage.

gowings23

Here's a picture. I'm not sure if you will be able to see it or not, but it came apart right under the small part that flips over and locks the clasp down. It's pretty apparent the factory used a cheap method to put this section together because on both clasps it is a nice clean separation.

clasp.jpg

gowings23

Well I tried the epoxy and that didn't work, so my only hope is to try some kind of weld. I've already asked Mary about a good replacement band that won't be subject to this same flaw.

rc42

That looks like its broken riight where the pin goes through but the flip-lock part seems to be still attached to the other part of the bracelet so I assume the pin is still intact.

A close-up of the break on each half of the strap would be interesting to see but it doesn't look like there are any repair options for that unless you are very good at fine welding on stainless steel

GC

I did a search on glues/epoxies specific for metal to metal, and have these few links for you.

I'm sure others can chime in, maybe from experience, if they think it might be worth trying them.

SUPER GLUE 15212 Fast Setting Metal Epoxy in Syringe, 1oz

Industrial strength. Fast setting in 4-6 minutes. Bonds, fills and seals metal. May be drilled, tapped, filed. Fast Setting Metal Epoxy automatically dispenses into equal parts with only one push. Perfect for repairing radiators, Appliances, plumbing, tools, cookware, etc. No mess, no spilling and no dried out tubes. Allows 4-6 minutes positioning time for parts.

Product ID: 67715212

Brand: SUPER GLUE

http://www.castlewholesalers.com/SUPER-GLU...yringe-1oz.html

or

Liquid Nails Metal Adhesive

Macco Adhesives

A remarkably tough, epoxy adhesive for permanent repairs on rigid materials. This rugged formula dries clear, and sets in 5 minutes for fast repairs. Automatically dispenses into equal amounts with 1 push. Also works on marble, brick, brass, rubber, tile, and masonry. 6g syringe.

http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/produc...sku=345245&

or

3M - Adhesives DP-100 SCOTCH-WELD 1.7 OZ Metal Epoxy Adhesive

Shear Strength (PSI) 1500

http://www.drillspot.com/products/328568/3...xy_Adhesive?s=1

offshore

@gowings23,

Trust me...there is NO adhesive, that will get close to a weld, and a weld will be only approx 50% that of virgin metal.

Nobody...not NASA, ...not F1 teams....NOBODY..... has found an adhesive to repair what you are attempting.

You will need to replace the part...some of it, or all of it, but a replacement piece is going to be needed.

So save your $$ and find a replacement part that will work..... sooner than later.

Been there...done that!

Offshore

Wiz

+1

No adhesive will work for that kind of repair. None.

The only way it may hold is by welding the pieces together.

Edited by wiz

rc42

If you do go the adhesive route it WILL fall apart eventally and your watch will drop to the floor, if you're standing on concrete or other hard floor it will do some nasty damage to your watch.

A replacement bracelet is the answer but you could get a Nato strap or something else in the meantime, you might even like it

gowings23

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the advice. I've given up on repairing the watches and am looking for new bands. If anyone has one that they've put on a DSSD that they like, I'm open to suggestions...LOL!

offshore

@gowings,

It may be possible to source just the broken parts for the clasp.

Do some research in that area, many of the wholesale houses have parts, and you may save some $$.

Offshore

apoopoo999

I have several submariner clasps, they are not the DSSD type but the old classic type, if it fits your watch you can have it for free. Just pay for the postage.

SirDomino

So were you ever able to repair the clasp?? or did you just get a replacement?

MikeMcNair
So were you ever able to repair the clasp?? or did you just get a replacement?

i have a second DSSD clasp from link to link (whole clasp including dive extension) sitting right here. what parts do you need?