Sign in to follow this  
phaedo

Another super avenger arrived, now with proper pics

phaedo

Finally done it, picked up the white faced battons dial super avenger.

Already dark outside so only a couple of quick iphone photos.

665beb71.jpg

6e9e2d8b.jpg

Ordered it from Andrew last friday afternoon, was sitting at the post office for me this morning (wednesday). Not bad, 5 days including a weekend. I had attempted to order from Mary initially, but she kept going silent. So went back to Andrew. I asked him about the bracelet for this one but he said he couldn't get it seperately. So took AlergyDocs advice, and put a WTB on RG for one, since that seems to be the forum with all the super avengers around. Had one lined up in about an hour, unworn, just waiting for it to get here now.

Anyway, impressions: Was a little concerned when I opened the package up and gave it a shake, the seconds hand wasn't moving. gave it a couple of winds, and still nothing. Finally it kicked into life after another dozen winds of the crown.

I saw the gen of this about August last year, and was mucho impressed. And aside from it being on rubber for now, I am very much impressed with the rep. Very shiney, in fact you could lamost use the battons as mirrors! AR is done really well, date looks good, nice big chunky blingy piece of metal. Feels fine on the wrist.

As to the issue of the battons being one piece not two, unless you had both the rep and gen side by side, I doubt it is noticeable. From where I sit, I have to look at the right angle to even think about whether they are one or two pieces.

The only problem I can see with it so far, and bear in mind I have had it out of the package only an hour, is the lume on the pearl. They forgot to lume it. Not a faint lume that is really crappy, but there simply is no lume on it. The rest of where lume should be is there, although typical rep lume by the looks. But having said that, I couldn't care less, the lume is faded after a minute or two anyway, so it isn't going to matter.

Anyway, once the bracelet arrives, maybe more and better pics.

Gotta say, I am quite chuffed with this purchase. Now to find places to wear it, don't think it will be in the daily rotation given my work.

AllergyDoc

Can't wait for better pics. I received the replacement deployment clasp from Josh last Friday and put it on the OC band yesterday. It feels very stable on the rubber, but I like the steel, too. So I was thinking of getting the white watch to wear with steel. :Whistle:

When you get your SS bracelet, take a look at the link that connect to the adjustable side of the clasp. The midlink on mine is shorter than the other midlinks on the bracelet, which makes that end of the bracelet feel loose. I don't like it and I'm wondering if they're all that way.

phaedo

AD, bracelet has just arrived, and looking at it all the midlinks appear the same size (full sized ones anyway, not counting the endlink ones connecting the clasp which are only half sized). This thing is shiney on bracelet! Pleased with it overall, and was easier than the seawolf to change straps on. With that one, I ended up taking it to the mall watch kiosk where they spent about half an hour changing it over from bracelet to rubber. At least here I could do it myself. But what a pain in the ass. One side clipped in fine, went to get the other side in and one springbar would go in but the other would not find the hole. Not sure if maybe there is a little too much metal on one side of the bracelet, so it was warped slightly perhaps. Took a good half hour to actually clip it in, after all of 5 minutes to take the old strap off and get the other side of the bracelet clipped in. Talk about annoying. Watchmaking is definatley not something I should persue as a hobbie/ proffession. One complaint I do have is the endlinks are not long enough though - causing the first proper link to droop inwards a bit. Otherwise, happy. And keeping pretty good time too. Better pics later on, is a rain day here today.

But as a teaser pic for you to ponder whether it is a good plan to go for the white battons, with bracelet, here is a pic of a gen - you have hopefully seen this one in the past on RG, is (was) Elisix's gen. (His pic, not mine)

DSC_0004.jpg

AllergyDoc

Thanks for your thoughts. I'll take some pics this weekend about my short midlink.

Once I discovered the "trick", this bracelet was one of the easiest to install. I think the endlinks aren't thick enough for the watch head, which makes the bracelet appear a little whimpy. I'll have to save up my Coke cans and get a gen bracelet sometime. :monkeyspank:

phaedo

Ok, here are the pics I have just taken. I miss having a proper manual focus SLR, only half the pics came out properly, the rest got binned as the camera kept focussing on other things.

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00616.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

DSC00610.jpg

Here is a pic of the way the end links on the bracelet are not long enough IMO: you can see it doesn't line up with the case quite right.

DSC00624.jpg

One other thing is the case doesn't quite curve to the contour of my wrist right; it looks fine on the wrist, but viewed sideways it doesn't look quite right.

DSC00623.jpg

GC

Thanks for the new pics, that SA is definitely a real looker with the classic white baton dial!

Enjoy it often!

Also thanks for the side view shot showing how it sits/curves on the wrist,

honestly I was tempted to get one but now I know it just won't work for me.

bene3

It looks really good on the white dial. A very good looking watch.