Sign in to follow this  
Brian1024

Rep Lume?

Brian1024

Hey Guys, i was wondering how strong rep lume is and was wondering if anybody could post some pics. I would really appreciate it if someone had some rep lume pics of a breitling chrono evo or super avenger/similar. Other watches with the standard lume would be nice too. Just wondering what to expect in terms of brightness/light time etc.

Thanks in Advance!

AllergyDoc

This was standard lume on my DeepSea V3:

3291461131_38563588d9_o.jpg

It was pretty damn good.

Here is a poor pic of my superlumed Getat MM:

4495539692_e2968dc8e6_o.jpg

VERY bright, all night.

Having owned about 75 reps, "rep lume" varies greatly. Some are very poor, others good, like the DeepSea. Some lume well on the hands but not the hour markers, others the opposite. My Super Avenger has fair lume on the hands.

Look through Robert's (PWC) section here. He has a lot of pictures of rep lume. Gives you a good idea.

Member X

It's never quite as radioactive as you want it to be, whatever it's like :P

Silverspeed

Rep lume on most of the Breitlings tend to fade pretty quick

Rep Lume of a Seawolf

IMG_2419kopie.jpg

Rep lume of a BCE

IMG_4193kopie.jpg

Standard rep lume of a PAM243...not much differnece in brightness but the lume on PAM's usually lasts longer.

IMG_4354kopie.jpg

rc42

My experience of rep lume is that its pretty poor if you sit it side by side with a gen or a relumed rep, some can just about manage to stay readable into the early hours but most can't.

Don't let it put you off though, choose the model you like first and sort out the lume later if it bugs you. If you have a shortlist then post it and we should be able to suggest which will have the best lume.

Personally, I have difficulty wearing a watch with poor lume and have swapped my daily wearer from a gen Rolex (old tritium paint dial) to a VCO with Vac-lume, not just because of the lume but it was a factor.

Luthier
Rep Lume of a Seawolf

Seawolf is underrated watch, it's really great one. Definitely on my list.

Thanks for reminding!!!

gran

When putting on the lume on, how is it acheived neatly without smearing unto the sourounding metal and dial? Is there som pretreatment?

Question is when reluming how is it done by so it looks beautiful without lume in unwanted places? and without unevenes?

gran :D

trailboss99

How long is a piece of string?

It does indeed vary that much.

I have reps that glow all night (including one of the cheapest I own) to ones that are unreadable after an hour or so.

It varies form model to model and batch to batch, I think they tend to use whatever is on hand at the time. Dials are usually produced by a different factory to the hands so as stated above the quality of lume can vary greatly from one to the other. That didn't help much did it? :D

Col.

Luthier
When putting on the lume on, how is it acheived neatly without smearing unto the sourounding metal and dial? Is there som pretreatment?

Question is when reluming how is it done by so it looks beautiful without lume in unwanted places? and without unevenes?

gran :D

Practice, my son, practice...

:wub:

rc42

I got my BCE crystal back from Chief today with stunning AR on it so I've finally had to do the relume work on the dial and hands.

Its been a while since I did any luming but its like riding a bike, once you learn it stays with you. Anyway, the relume went perfectly, I think that the tiny lume dots applied directly to the white paint dots on the dial are the easiest to do and for the hands I just added a second layer of lume underneath and kept the smooth finish of the original rep lume.

I'll get pictures soon and I really must do that luming tutorial that I planned a long time ago.

Brian1024

ok, because iordered a BCE and was wondering if the lume would be nice or not. That pic looks pretty goog i guess.

rc42

There are lots of BCE models, some are better than others and there's even variation with the same model.

Mine is the two tone with black dial and roman numerals and the lume was very poor, a full charge would be visible for 10-20 mins at best.

I checked it last night after its relume and its as bright as a Vac-lumed Bentley that I have, when the lume sets I'll re-assemble it and get some pictures.