Sign in to follow this  
300kph

44mm case vs. 40mm. Why so few choices in the smaller version?

300kph

I am in the market for my first Pam and since they do not sell them in my hometown I have never been able to even try one on and see how it looks on my wrist.

I have a lot of diff. watches and have been wearing gen subs for 25 years my (bought an SS in '89 and traded to Santblanc in Branson MO for a new TT in 2004) Great place for gens BTW (Owner John Todd is a super guy)

The Sub case size & shape has always felt comfortable on my wrist. My buddy's Deep Sea felt OK on me but the case is a bit thick for my liking. I have small-medium wrists and I fear the 44+ crown case of the Pam might look a little over the top. Many wrist-shots I've seen have the watch looking pretty damn big. I've seen pics of Stallone wearing a 60mm Pam and it looks almost almost comical (like he stole Flava Flav's neck alarm clock and put band on it)

Being new to the game I did my research and I did all my Pam comparisons at this amazing reference page: http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/reference-pam-review-107365.html and decided my first rep Pam will be either the 048 Marina Luminor in 40mm. (That is if I can find one of top quality)

The new 299 (N?) seems to be the new gold standard but I fear it might look too big. I would probably swap out the SS band for rubber or croc (BTW: Can the 299 accept the rubber or leather bands?)

Why are there so few 40mm Pams? Is that just part of their mystique? I know the trend has been for larger watches and I see some guys wearing blinged-out hockey pucks that look grotesque (but that's just my opinion)

Has anyone with smaller wrists been disappointed to get their first Pam and find it felt or looked "too big" and maybe wished they'd bought a 40mm?

Further on this 40mm topic. Does anyone know of a 40mm Pam (048) that is of the same quality as the new 299 that is getting such rave reviews?

Please chime in.

Wayne

Martinjogs

To be honest you will have difficulty finding any of the PAMs in 40mm, even the 048 and 049 are out of stock with dealers, I know because I have tried to source one. If you are just interested in trying out the style then a few homage watches are available from Jackson in the TD section, I bought a 40mm Marine Militaire for £50 including postage and it is nice quality but it sounds to me as if you are looking for something that isn't currently available...a small, high quality PAM rep.

300kph

Firstly, thanks for the replies. I actually have never ever measured my wrist . Today I did to find it a dead even 7" (Wow! I'm more well-endowed that I thought) Still it's a smallish wrist.

Yes, I understand part of the mystique of Pams is their imposing size. I think many of the oversize pieces were originally meant to be worn over a sleeve like vintage pilot watch or over a diving watch over a dive suit and they became more trendy to wear in high fashion and hence the birth of the "Big Watch" craze. At one time a sub was considered a monster. Today I still have people ask me "How can you wear such a big watch?" Those are usually the people who like tanks or coin sized dress watches.

On the subject of size: Please tell me this picture of Sylvester Stallone wearing the 60mm does not look "over the top" (That BTW was not one of his better movies)

Sylvester-Stallone-Panerai-Red-Carpet.jpg

He's brand loyal, I'll give him that.

Martin: Puretime lists the 048 http://www.puretime.co/product/pam048-a7750/ Does the fact it's not listed as SOLD OUT mean they have it?

And at $258 it is not cheap, yet not a super-rep (in my limited experience) the movement appears to be lower-end. Opinions please?

I came across Tony from Pamelawatch and dropped him a line but still no response.

I will hunt down a good 40mm but am not adverse to buying a 299 and was hoping someone could answer my question about it. Will it accept the rubber band like in the Puretime 048 link above? or does the fact it has an all SS bracelet affect it? (Sorry, like I said I've never so much as seen one close up)

Please continue to post. This is getting interesting.

Wayne

Frankt8242

Even my 42mm rad feels strangely tiny on my wrist....Yet a 39mm Sub feels fine...Go figure....

I suspect that it's simply a function of expectation....You just expect any Pam to be massive...Yet my 45.5 mm PO feels the same as a Sub...Again...Go figure... :salute: :salute:

Martinjogs

The best way to approach any trusted dealer is to email and ask about stock availability. Most websites are not maintained, in the sense you and I understand, tbh most dealers don't keep stock. They go out and source it once they have your order and cash! They do however know what the factories are likely to be producing. I've tried the supposedly in stock 048s at websites only to get a 'sorry no stock email' back a few days later. The danger in ordering without confirming availability is that you pay first and then have to go through the refund route when it turns out that there no stock.

Shoot an email off to a few of the trusted dealers listed, preferably with a photo and see if that brings any joy! My wrist is 6.5 inches but as others have said different watches wear different. Big faces wear big, watches with bezels or edges look smaller, some watches are deep and ride high on the wrist.

Perhaps if you could find a similar style and size of watch to try on where you live that would give you an idea as to what a bigger watch might feel like. Good luck!

LightGeek

I've been searching for a 40mm chrono (AMG) for a while now...

kasper618

Go big or go home I always say, order up a 44mm pam, and soon it will find home on your wrist. I have a 6" wrist on a good day, and all I wear is pams, 44 and 47mm.

20130422_184138_zps74bde413.jpg

Visioneer

The 44mm PAM will grow on you and you'll never imagine wearing a smaller PAM. I almost didn't buy the PAM 187 and I'm so very glad I did. Its a smokin' watch a my wrist are slightly over 7" and no worries.

NFleischer

DSC00244.jpg

For some reason, 40mm. PAMs have gotten the label of'Girlie Watch'

I disagree! My 050 wears like a 42mm watch, quite thick and heavy with the SS bracelet. It's a lot bigger than a Rolex Sub, especially, the older non ceramic

version.This is a Gen I bought when 44mm really seemed like a clock. Now I have tons of 44mm but they still are a tad big for my taste. 42mm seems to be

my sweet spot.

ASAIK, the best 40mm rep is an MBK from Thailand. Ask Narikaa- he may be able to source one over there. Warning, they're expensive! About $500 last I checked.