Sign in to follow this  
Zulu Time

Explorer ll 42mm rep v. gen

Zulu Time

OK, so I got my rep 42mm Explorer ll in white from WI. The purpose was to see if it "fit" before shooting 8 Large on a gen. I have two other gens - a vintage Pepsi GMT that I bought new in the early 80s, and a ceramic two-tone GMT ll. I was jonesing for an EXll, but wanted to test drive one first.

The rep is an Asian ETA from WI, and it rates an easy four out of five stars. Great watch.

Here's one:

BCV_4101-L.jpg

Here's the other:

BCV_4102-L.jpg

Which is which?

For the purposes of this exercise, the rep will precede the gen (as it did in the pics above)...

Font on the gen is clearer and the colour is stronger. The orange "EXPLORER ll" on the rep is faded and washed out compared to the gen.

Crowns are virtually identical.

Strap links are virtually identical, except for an obviously higher calibre of fastener in the gen.

Rehaut is excellent on the rep

BCV_4108-L.jpg

Slightly darker and cleaner on the gen

BCV_4109-L.jpg

Strap engraving was slightly less clear on the rep

BCV_4110-L.jpg

BCV_4112-L.jpg

The least impressive feature on the rep was the clasp. On my rep Explorer l, I had to do some serious detailing with emery cloth to get the edges off, but on this one it's the fit. The locking clasp doesn't close completely.

BCV_4119-L.jpg

BCV_4120-L.jpg

Lume is virtually identical, but again, the gen is cleaner and less "puffy".

BCV_4132-L.jpg

Here's the gen lume time exposure (second hand stopped):

Lume%20Crop-X2.jpg

Gen rehaut in lume:

BCV_4139-X2.jpg

Anyway, it is nearly impossible to tell these watches apart "on the arm". This is a very high-quality rep.

ZT

jacobarch

another couple Versions this watch will be virtually impossible to tell apart.

boneyjr

great review!

g.man

Great review mate. I also toyed with the idea of getting the gen after I'd worn the rep for a bit because I liked it so much, but the rep is just so insanely good that it makes the gen seem like a waste of money (for me anyway). They really are virtually identical.

genuine super rep

g.man

part_timer

I have the White 21j. I could "tell" the rep in seconds on that pic..the lume is sloppy.

Only immediate giveaway to me without further inspection. The lume on my 21j seems better applied, spot of luck I guess.

Wearing mine now that summer's "here". And it's hogging a lot of wrist time, solid build, the clasp is good on mine. So impressed I've a black dial clone on order from WI now! :D

If I had to choose a gen Rollie, I'd rate this one above the Ceramic Sub now, it's a cracking design. Wonder what the gen price will be when these are available used in 5-10 years time! :)

ShovelnTC

Thanks for taking the time.

James.

Gen on the bottom, messy lume on the triangle of the rep and diff colour of "explorer 2" that matches the GMT hand, the rep colour doesn't.

WARBOT

The more I see these the more I'm beginning to like them. Was never much of a Rolex fan but ever since I got my DSSD, Rolex has been slowly winning me over.

SSTEEL

Thanks for the comparisons, appreciated. Its a close rep for sure. The only other tell I can see is the thinness of the end of the GMT hand, its more pointed, and refined on the gen.

LightGeek

Nice comparison, thanks!

Only two things stand out to me really. The date wheel and the triangle lume. Both Explorer II reps I have here don't have sharp corners.

I can live with inaccuracies but sloppy workmanship irks me :)

remykgl

The biggest give away for me is the ICHS.

Electron17

Great review and the rep is a great watch. Have one myself and very happy with it.

zewatch

Thanks for this review mate ! ;)

ZW

solkryssare

Nice review and great pic's! Especially the lume shots. Thanks mate

trksh-bzr

funny, the rep 12 triangle is better aligned with the rolex coronet on the dial, than on the gen.

Abagnale

the lume on this reps is getting better. here's mine with an almost perfect triangle. the cyclops ar differs from watch to watch. on mine it's psychedelic funky colored rainbow style, no likey...

IMG_3523_zpsf2b930c3.jpg

cheers

Boycie

Great review Zulu Time, the gen is beautiful.

Only slight defects on my one are the lume markers, the lume is slightly rippled at 6 & 9 but other than that v.happy with it and saving hard for the gen. Congrats!

957c89ae76847317198fc6de9d418f35_zps77ab1341.jpg

zackyh

Is it possible to mount a leather strap onto the exp2?

LightGeek
Is it possible to mount a leather strap onto the exp2?

Yes...

PeterPotamus

love mine, both the black and the white

rlxexpIIblack001_zpsb7a5d112.jpgRlxExpII002_zps88769c61.jpg

LightGeek
the lume on this reps is getting better. here's mine with an almost perfect triangle. the cyclops ar differs from watch to watch. on mine it's psychedelic funky colored rainbow style, no likey...

IMG_3523_zpsf2b930c3.jpg

cheers

That's a nice triangle! Now they just need to fix the "dimple" in the middle of the circle markers. My markers have dots from cavitation and general "sloppiness".

pu8e3uve.jpg

Zulu Time

My lumes are puffy, but I don't have the dimples or holes that you do. Two things surprise me here: How they can make these things so perfect in some respects, and blow it on others, and how they can do it at all for the prices they charge.

LightGeek
My lumes are puffy, but I don't have the dimples or holes that you do. Two things surprise me here: How they can make these things so perfect in some respects, and blow it on others, and how they can do it at all for the prices they charge.

It's called the lack of QC at the factory :)

The lume in your round markers doesn't sink in the centre? That's nice then.

part_timer

Black dialed version of this seems to be "out of stock" :( (been told by 2 dealers). :Doh:

Anyone in the loop know if/when there's another batch coming?

remykgl
Black dialed version of this seems to be "out of stock" :( (been told by 2 dealers). :Doh:

Anyone in the loop know if/when there's another batch coming?

Try PureTime or Timeshops