Sign in to follow this  
300kph

Exactly how many versions of the Planet Ocean "Pumkin" exist?

300kph

I've been researching the Hell outta' this watch and find that one dealer (Puretime) has no less than 4 versions.

$108 / $238 / $308 & $428 (all w/ SS bracelet, but orange leather band versions are the same price)

Has anyone taken the time to do the "Definitive" comparison of the many different versions?

Some experts have told me the difference is all in the movements. I cannot believe that. I would like to think the $400 watch has better overall construction than the $100 watch. Can anyone chime in?

I realize the manufacturers are upping their game constantly and I sometimes compare reps to buying electronics (they can become obsolete by the time they arrive in the mail and get replaced by the newest "Noob" or whatever the letter of the day is for the top factory)

I would kill to see a detailed breakdown of the different generations.

That said I have 2 questions:

• Pardon my ignorance but can you swap out the orange leather for the SS and vice-versa?
  • (and this creates a quandary... If you buy the top of the line SS where the Hell do you find a top of the line stand-alone orange leather rep strap? I can only assume the strap / buckle gets better as you move up the quality ladder?)

• And... does anyone know if a new version of this same watch is in development?

OK, that's 3 questions. Sorry.

I've stumbled upon some amazing side by side comparisons of Gen vs Rep and even a wonderful Pam 299N vs K model but have been unable to find a rep vs rep vs rep post for the pumpkin"

W

Edited by 300kph

GrimReaper

You have a lot of questions here, many I don't know answer to.

First of all, DO NOT buy a $428 one, it was $288 just a few days ago, also all other TD's have them for $280-320, try Trusty, P-CLS or Toro.

We are talking about V5 or as they say "The Ultimate Best 1:1" replica here. It is the best PO rep that exists.

$238 one is the same watch, except Asian clone ETA 2824 movement, and you also have an option for Swiss Sellita.

$108 one is NOT the same V5 watch, 21J ones are inferior.

$309 one is a chrono.

If you want a V5 with cheap movement, Toro has them for $148.

Some experts have told me the difference is all in the movements. I cannot believe that. I would like to think the $400 watch has better overall construction than the $100 watch. Can anyone chime in?

Again, look at Toro's site, where you have one watch with 3 different options of movements. With watches ranging from $150-320, the only difference is the movement.

But around $100, I don't think so, case, bracelet and glass should also be worse.

I don't owe any of these watches, so somebody correct me where it is needed.

Edited by GrimReaper

300kph

Thanks Grim. That was a big help.

BaggyPants

The ones on Toros website ranging from about $148 to $320 are the exact same watch with different movements. The $148 has the high beat DG4813 21 jewel movement, about $250 gets you the Asian clone ETA movement (2825 or 2836) and the $320 will get you a Swiss ETA. The case, crystal, bracelet, clasp etc. will all be identical quality.

http://www.torobravos.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37_128&product_id=151

The $100 watches you find on other sites will have a low beat DG2813 movement and be of a lesser quality with regard to the case and parts involved.

SeptemberSun

Yes very important clarity provided there. This watch is number 3 in the queue for me and I'll be going 42mm ultimate ultimate ultimate V5 with Asian clone ETA.

Frankt8242

well...here's a rundown from @ 7 frikkin years ago, and it's been a fairly steady flow ever since...

http://www.rwgforum....-are-we-on-now/

Edited by Frankt8242

kj65

Thanks..this is also on my list and this info helps when you see the same watch with lots of different prices and options

LightGeek

How many exist?

The one you have.

The one you don't have.

The elusive perfect one you'll never get.