Sign in to follow this  
Member X

Sterile Rolex Explorer II homages

Member X

Well, another couple of ebay snipe successes here :D

I assume they're based on standard rep cases, dials and bracelets, just minus any Rolex markings or rehaut engraving, as they certainly feel pretty solid and tough :sh_h:

The movement in them is a bit 'grindy' when you move the hands round but I'm not going to change the GMT hand now I've set it to the right time as I don't want to tempt fate...

It's apparently a DG2813 movement and the sweep seems to confirm that, although the sweep is pretty smooth really! If I'd have bought a cheap rep with this movement, I think I would be pretty happy :) Rotor is quiet, can barely hear it unless you hold it to your ear.

Anyway, endlinks are TIGHT, they don't move at all! Bracelets have no sharp edges and are easily adjusted by simply unscrewing and removing links. Clasps are good, nice and tight and also comfy against the wrist. I don't think they are waterproof as the crown/stem tube (or whatever it's called) does not look anywhere near perfect though :monkeyspank:

Since the photos I have moved the fliplock clasp (I think that's what it's called?) from the black dial onto my DSSD with bracelet (see other thread I'm going to post in a minute) and have swapped the standard clasp from that onto this one.

Lume is also pretty good. The monster lume shot below is a 'just charged' shot, but it does fade fairly fast. That said, it is a LOT better than some of the other rep lumes that I've got.

Overall I'd give this watch an 8.0 or 8.5 out of ten.

With a better movement in it (smoother sweep, better quality generally) and guaranteed waterproofing, it'd be pretty much a 10 out of 10 for me. :)

Looks great, looks classy, goes with casual or smart, and is often the only thing I want to wear! :D

Anyway, rubbish pics as follows:

dscf4334.jpg

dscf4335i.jpg

dscf4336.jpg

dscf4337w.jpg

dscf4338.jpg

dscf4339.jpg

dscf4343.jpg

dscf4345.jpg

dscf4347.jpg

dscf4348g.jpg

dscf4350q.jpg

dscf4355e.jpg

dscf4356.jpg

dscf4365g.jpg

dscf4367r.jpg

dscf4368g.jpg

klaatu00001

Awesome. Who was the ebay seller?

houndoggie

Very Nice...

Sniping is so fun.

Member X

I think the ebay seller was topwatches2009 ?

I can't remember now!

These usually go for USD30-40 so not too expensive :o

AustinTech

Good finds, X!

Member X

I'm very pleased with them! Seem remarkable quality for the money, even though they're clearly not perfect 'reps'.

The DSSDs in the comparison pics I'm less happy with - threads on the crowns seem poor to non-existent so it can take 20 minutes to get them screwed back in...

GC

These sterile dial pieces are very interesting.

But what I wanted to comment on were your pics...very sharp!

Member X

Why, thank you, kind sir!