Sign in to follow this  
Podges

"Replica".. Really ?!?!?!?

Podges

Being just in this game for a couple of months, with a few reps now of my own, and doing lots and lots of research on the internet, and especially this forum and TD's, I'm kind of perplexed. There are literally hundreds of replica watches of damn near every make and model, from every manufacturer out there. It is really hard to fathom, that there are these underground Chinese factories that produce all these watches, at the volumes that keep up with customers' demands, and with the level and detail of quality.. (ok, not 100%.. but damn!!).. Down to the steel crafting of the links, watch hands, etc.... Just is amazing when you sit back and think about it the sheer size of these operations... I guess one of the things I am trying to say, is, is that if it all came to light, that these same Chinese factories were providing actual parts for swiss (or other) watches, I do not think it would surprise me. Being in the wonderful world of engineering, understanding the basics of the manufacturing process, replica watches of this detail would be a hell of an undertaking... I wish I knew more. I'm just fascinated!.. in awe!

Edited by Podges

Theduke.williams

Hi,

Being employed in manufacturing in the U.K., I have seen countless examples of 'Made in U.K.' products where component parts are supplied cheeply from the far east. In this age of high competition, companies need to cut costs wherever they can, and you can hardly blame them for sourcing parts from the far east and saving on their costs. It really wouldmnt surprise me if it came to light that Swiss watches have certain parts such as bracelet links, roll pins etc. sourced in this way. Maybe not though, and I'm sure that this argument would be used to justify the very high price (even with discounts) of an original swiss watch.

dalboy

A couple of swiss watch manufacturers actually intend to move their operations to china...

Chopard is one of them i believe. a topic of discussion here previously

Dal.

RussP

Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the Chinese economy has been booming in recent times ^_^

Soon we'll be driving Chinese Rolls-Royces and other supercar replicas :gday_mate_haveabeer:

I've already seen a couple of Hyundai (yes, Korean I know) sedans that look like a Mercedes Benz to the untrained eye, so rep cars can't be too far away.8915989729_b1120ce804_z.jpg

scorpion

As i have said before most of the high end tools I export that 15 years ago were all UK or German made now come out of China and quality is better . So they come over to UK from China and I sell them back to China. Seems the actual China end users won't trust buying tools from China!!!!!

Still its sad for UK Manufacturing buying it all in from China and putting it in their packing to resell. China companies can clone anything at a 1/4 of the price - we see 5 or 6 brand leaders coming out of the same China production line with just different markings and stamps on them. I really can't think of anything i sell thats actually really made here now yet quality is so much better its shameful what went wrong with UK industry and the total lack of investment in the machines that can do the better quality.

dalboy

As i have said before most of the high end tools I export that 15 years ago were all UK or German made now come out of China and quality is better . So they come over to UK from China and I sell them back to China. Seems the actual China end users won't trust buying tools from China!!!!!

Still its sad for UK Manufacturing buying it all in from China and putting it in their packing to resell. China companies can clone anything at a 1/4 of the price - we see 5 or 6 brand leaders coming out of the same China production line with just different markings and stamps on them. I really can't think of anything i sell that's actually really made here now yet quality is so much better its shameful what went wrong with UK industry and the total lack of investment in the machines that can do the better quality.

Brunel would turn in his grave.

sardonix

One of my hobbies is music, my high end stereo speakers are from a Chinese manufacturor.

I picked them in a listening session pure on the sound next to the wel known brands.

volla_full_160210.jpg

thedoc73

Their economy is definately booming on the back of it. They are supply 100s of thousands of rep watches, produce as much rep Nike products as Nike, and have rep Apple stores!! The American economy loses approx $250 billion as a result of counterfeit products each year, according to a recent report. Despite the impact, only a fraction can be detected and confiscated by the government.

Approximately $1.25 billion worth of counterfeit goods originating from China were seized by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection in 2012. Each seizure averaged $10,450 worth of counterfeit goods. The three most confiscated items in 2012 were handbags and wallets; watches and jewelry; and wearing apparel and accessories.

It's a big business!

RussP

One of my hobbies is music, my high end stereo speakers are from a Chinese manufacturor.

I picked them in a listening session pure on the sound next to the wel known brands.

volla_full_160210.jpg

Nice to know that we share 3 passions : watches, photography and hi-fi :thumbsup2:

gmchris

I would sure like a replica ipad, viewing this foum all night on my phone is a real pain in the - eyes!

sardonix

Nice to know that we share 3 passions : watches, photography and hi-fi :thumbsup2:

That is nice to hear!

If you want to read some on this outsider speaker see

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0506/aurum_cantus_volla.htm

RussP

I figured they were Aurum's from the stands......... :D

I won't hijack this thread any further.

gmchris

I will. Chinese rep cars!

Muzzi
Hi,

Being employed in manufacturing in the U.K., I have seen countless examples of 'Made in U.K.' products where component parts are supplied cheeply from the far east.

Like here in Germany, you can only state 'Made in UK' if a certain percentage of the parts are manufactured in the UK. That's why Apple products state 'Made in China, designed in California'

Don't ask me what the percentage is tho :-)

Bobbylah
Perhaps that's one of the reasons why the Chinese economy has been booming in recent times ^_^

Soon we'll be driving Chinese Rolls-Royces and other supercar replicas :gday_mate_haveabeer:

I've already seen a couple of Hyundai (yes, Korean I know) sedans that look like a Mercedes Benz to the untrained eye, so rep cars can't be too far away.8915989729_b1120ce804_z.jpg

Rep cars been around for years mate. See my avatar!!!

TheSav

. Not real Aurums though. These Chinese ones are good but the true Aurums are far better. I have heard the leisure 2 series side by side with the copies myself. The highs and lows are distinguisable. But for the price they are good copies.

The unfortunate thing for pretty much all western countries is that they can compete with the labour and production costs. I have been a culprit of sourcing manufacturing I china as its a far cheaper option for a similar quality product. I don't be,over that this will go on for ever though as at the rate that chinas economy is growing it will surely cause wages and therefore manufacturing costs to rise as well.

dr_v

For every genuine Swiss Chronograph made there a like four replicas made, it's really astounding the level of manufacturing in illegal goods China manages.

Frankt8242

@ 15 years ago I bought a Tissot "Ballade" 2 tone from an AD in the Cayman Islands.

Eventually, I learned that every component EXCEPT the ETA2836 movement was Asian(Chinese) built....

And who knows how many of the movement parts were built there too...?? :treadmill: :treadmill:

RUSH2112
Their economy is definately booming on the back of it. They are supply 100s of thousands of rep watches, produce as much rep Nike products as Nike, and have rep Apple stores!! The American economy loses approx $250 billion as a result of counterfeit products each year, according to a recent report. Despite the impact, only a fraction can be detected and confiscated by the government.

Approximately $1.25 billion worth of counterfeit goods originating from China were seized by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection in 2012. Each seizure averaged $10,450 worth of counterfeit goods. The three most confiscated items in 2012 were handbags and wallets; watches and jewelry; and wearing apparel and accessories.

It's a big business!

These numbers always assume people would have bought the brand name if the replica wasn't available. I have a sub, a seamaster, and a PAM 417. It would be unlikely that I would ever buy these (not because of not having the money, but because I just won't spend this much on luxury goods) so no economy or company was actually hurt by my rep purchasing.

sardonix

. Not real Aurums though. These Chinese ones are good but the true Aurums are far better. I have heard the leisure 2 series side by side with the copies myself. The highs and lows are distinguisable. But for the price they are good

Confusing me, i thought there is only one brand Aurum Cantus no copy. Started in 1994 from origin a Chinese product the only export these speakers. There is a cooperation since 2001 with the Italian ATD.

zero_deficit

The Chinese have started making a rep sub too

.. A rep of the US Navy's Virginia class submarine

jeffw69

you really think that looks like a Mercedes? :blind:

TheSav

. Not real Aurums though. These Chinese ones are good but the true Aurums are far better. I have heard the leisure 2 series side by side with the copies myself. The highs and lows are distinguisable. But for the price they are good

Confusing me, i thought there is only one brand Aurum Cantus no copy. Started in 1994 from origin a Chinese product the only export these speakers. There is a cooperation since 2001 with the Italian ATD.

meant to type replica. Not Chinese. I have leisure 2 Aurums. When I purchased them one hifi shop I went into had Knock offs The ribbon tweeter however was just a grill with a normal tweeter behind. I thought you were referring to the knock offs which I was offered for under $500. Btw, how we'll were they wrapped. I couldn't believe all the packaging, soft bag, gloves etc.

arancini

The Chinese have a lot to learn about cars.

A friend is in the industry and told me the crash test rating on the Chery Ute is absolutely appalling.

60 km/h head on crash resulted in the front-right wheel inside the driver's seat.

zero_deficit

The Chinese have a lot to learn about cars.

A friend is in the industry and told me the crash test rating on the Chery Ute is absolutely appalling.

60 km/h head on crash resulted in the front-right wheel inside the driver's seat.

Not on this test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=q33XXQDJnQw&NR=1

3:20 onwards