Sign in to follow this  
Dumspiro

Breitling Transocean Chronograph AB0151

Dumspiro

I spent a couple of enjoyable hours in a local Breitling boutique a couple of months ago; for those in the UK, near London its in Westfield/Stratford with a very decent stock of 50 to 60 Breitling watches. The Transoceans were particularly appealing so I tried a couple on for size and look. Sorry no pictures were taken.

Armed with the 2013 catalogue and some vague promises to return in the future I started looking around for a decent equivalent Transocean rep.

After checking a few (most) TD sites, it appeared there was not a great deal out there currently in terms of accurate reps. That was until a couple of weeks ago when Joshua at Perfect Clones displayed some new models; introduced 20 May 2013....the one below and another, white with black subdials.

http://www.p-cls.com/blt01004m-transocean-chrono-ssme-black-a7750-28800-p-13862.html

http://www.p-cls.com/blt01002m-transocean-chrono-ssme-white-a7750-28800-p-13818.html

If the Panda or silver/silver follow I will definitely be buying again

Both of the current crop have 7750 movements with display case backs priced at $328.

On the genuine, from Watchfinder:

"This is the fourth Breitling to receive the completely in-house Breitling Caliber 01. Limited to just 2000 pieces in steel and 200 in rose gold, the Transocean 01 AB0151 is a one-off run of special editions that reference the early days of Transoceanic flight and also the original Breitling Transocean of the same era.

The older style 18-carat gold 'B' on the dial is a subtle nod to this nostalgic period in 1950's and 60's, and adds a vintage touch to the simple yet striking dial design. The hard work that has gone into Breitling's Caliber 01 can be clearly viewed through the sapphire caseback, and pays homage to the first ever self-winding chronograph movement also made by Breitling in 1969. The limited edition number is engraved on the side of the case"

Some pictures of the gen to go with the write up on the link:

http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Breitling/Transocean%20Chronograph/AB0151/21337/item/16887

A comparison of another gen to rep, couldnt find a decent colour photo unfortunately:

breitcomp_zps0627e219.jpg

And so to the rep pictures:

The usual 7750 recessed date issue but its very slight & unless you are 6 inches away its almost impossible to tell.

009_zpsa1bfb422.jpg

Highly polished finish (like gen) so prints & reflections everywhere:

021_zps5e00bfcc.jpg

Bracelet Logos and engravings look good

020_zps5fbc80a6.jpg

015_zps73c62373.jpg

Clasp engraving is not as pristine as I suspect the gen is, but this is an extreme close up

014_zps9ebc6b32.jpg

Special edition number

013_zps50b28739.jpg

Crown & chrono pushers

010_zps33e11e3b.jpg

The display caseback with oodles of engravings.

011_zpsec4ba65b.jpg

017_zpsa98e7059.jpg

Not much to lume on these tiny markers and hands...this was taken after a blast with a UV torch and it had faded after 10 seconds

002_zps960eb6be.jpg

Thanks again to Josh; posted in Breitling but could as easily have been in PC feedback.

breitman

Beautiful. I was worried about the sunken DW, but black dial on black DW seems to hide it well. Are there any pins in the bracelet for sizing?

746_heuer

Nice. I discovered this model not long ago and I immediately wanted it, but the date bothers me. Not only is it sunken, but also not well centered (in any of the td's pics, i.e. http://www.kingshowb...30815898218.JPG ). I really like the white one, but the date issue is too big for the price when there are watches with 7750 for 60 or 80 bucks less and better build quality.

Anyway Dumspiro yours in black looks way better.

Edited by 746_heuer

Dumspiro

Beautiful. I was worried about the sunken DW, but black dial on black DW seems to hide it well. Are there any pins in the bracelet for sizing?

Cheers guys & thanks for the comments,

I think its a lovely watch and one of the few Breitlings that I really like.

Bracelet does not have any pins; adjustments can be made on the clasp but only 3 holes there....I was just fortunate that it fits a 7 1/2 inch wrist perfectly on the middle hole.

It may be worth asking the TD if there are different bracelet sizes.

The DW is off towards the centre of the dial slightly, maybe 0.1 to 0.2mm, but for me not a major issue because its so tiny anyway.

tommylad

I have never had any confirmation, but I think the case is too large. The gen is 43mm and this is 45mm. Now, that may be a mismeasurement, but worth baring in mind. I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat with a 7753 and confirmation that the case was the right size.

epilan

I have never had any confirmation, but I think the case is too large. The gen is 43mm and this is 45mm. Now, that may be a mismeasurement, but worth baring in mind. I'd buy one of these in a heartbeat with a 7753 and confirmation that the case was the right size.

Me too. Waited a way too long for decent rep.

mattyjupatti

Such a nice classic looking watch. Does the gen have a slightly sunken DW? All the reps I've seen have and and surely it would have been fixed by now.

Vbmrk

I've loved every iteration of the TransOcean that breitling makes...I recently saw the "day-date" version (at the AD) which I thought was brilliant in its simplicity. Unfortunately the TO reps leave a LOT to be desired. Seems to always be an issue with the DW, subdial color, case size, movement decoration, etc, etc. I did a lot of research a few months back on the TO reps and decided there were too many "tells" for me to pull the trigger.

Either way, the rep is a handsome watch, wear it in good health.

Daytona_Dreamer

I am a big Rolex fan. Also a big Breitling fan, either vintage Top Times or Transoceans. I am lucky enough to own a Top Time, rose gold with black dial.

I have been shopping for a Transocean among TDs and have noticed an oddity. The mechanical watches seem to have a signficant lug to case step off. The gens have a 1 mm or so smooth stepoff. The reps have at least 2mm harsh stepoff. Some are reverse angled to the case. I am not sure why this is. Oddly, the quartz watches seem more accurate as far as the case and the lug to case transition.

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on a quartz. I found a two tone quartz Transocean that comes close to gen as far as the case. But I have to admit yours looks pretty nice. Maybe this lug to case transition point is not such a big deal after all.