Sign in to follow this  
SubFrog

DD case size questions:

SubFrog

OK, I'm a big fan of the SS Day/Date President. I've had two reps from our previous boards. My first from Eddie (whom I miss very much)...and the next from a not so familiar seller.

My first DD rep was amazing...my favorite watch...it screamed "class" with a nice sized case, heavy feel and bright shining silver (ss) finish. This watch was, unfortunately, stolen by TSA (my fault though...long story). So, in attempt to recreate my loss, I purchased another from someone else because Eddie was no longer in business. BIG MISTAKE.

The second watch seemed to be quite smaller in case size. And it felt like it was about as light as a sheet of paper. I just don't wear it because it looks and feels cheap. :lol:

I'm still looking for that old Rollie SS DD Pres. that is like my first one. I've seen DD case sizes quoted from 34.5mm up to 41mm. The most common is 36mm.

Qustions are:

1) Are there really different case sizes for this watch? What is the gen size? Or do they vary?

2) Does case size have anything to do with weight? I mean, weight that you can actually feel?

3) Who has the (best quality) largest size case for Rollie DD...and is it worth buying?

I've searched the dealer sites, member reviews, and other FAQ's, but I couldn't really get the answer I was looking for. Maybe you experts can help me.

Thanks!

AllergyDoc

1) The older, and most common, case size is 36mm. Now Rolex makes a 41mm DD.

2) Case size does have something to do with weight, as does the metal used for the case, bracelet, etc. Keep in mind that Rolex doesn't make a SS DD anymore--I think they only made one or two models ever. They're made of white gold or platinum. Both those metals weight more than SS, so the rep will never be the same weight as the gen. Close maybe, but never the same.

3) Josh (Perfect Clones) sells both the smaller size models as well as the larger 41mm models, too. I've found his Rolex reps to be of outstanding quality. Other dealers here could also source any rep currently made if you send them a picture.

SubFrog

Thanks Doc,

I appreciate your answers...and it makes better sense to me now.

Yea, I've read that Mary will source any watch you want...so, I made that one of my options. Also, I will definately look into the new 41mm from Josh. I remember him from a while back. I'm so used to my Breitlings and Pams, I'll probably not want to wear anything of 36mm size anymore.

Plus, if I find the one I like...I'll be selling two or three Rollies cheap. :popcorn:

fakemaster

The 41mm models is one of the best moves Rolex has made made in the last few years. Shame they haven't improved the WR rating.

KBH

I think you generally get a better quality DD or DJ when you buy the Eta version. Plus it's going to be a little heavier because you'll get a steel movement holder rather than plastic.

Also, like Doc said, since the DD's are only made in gold or platinum, you're going to be much more believable if you stick to the DJ's.

SubFrog

Yes, I'm looking into the 41mm right now...Swiss Eta was suggested. The "Asian" Rolex movement isn't necessary with a closed back.

Also, like Doc said, since the DD's are only made in gold or platinum, you're going to be much more believable if you stick to the DJ's.

Right...I was shocked to see, with my first DD, everyone wanted to wear my "platinum" Rolex. I didn't say it was platinum...they did.

So, I'd take it off and let them wear it...even then, they would say: Wow, I can tell it's platinum just by the weight. THAT'S how good that sucker was. Then, I had to lower the boom on them...then they were shocked.

KBH

Don't be afraid of the Eta clone movements. They're pretty good and use the same case and movement holders. Save you about $60.

Luthier

36mm is kinda small to me, 41 is the best. I have a few of both, all with Swiss ETA, all great watches.

I like two-tone, but it's just me. I have few SS models too.

DSCF06.jpg

08-13.jpg

SubFrog

Um...Hey Luth...that's MY watch you got on there! :Whistle:

This was my first one. As you can see, it's the 36mm...but, since the Breitling (44mm), it's hard to go back. So, a 41mm will be my purchase.

Col1.jpg

rc42

I think that fashion and the world has moved on, 36mm is now a ladies watch size, mind you, a DD on a man's wrist has always been an open invitation for both male and female sexual advances, its the wealthier equivalent of a single ear-ring :)

Anyway, leave those toys for the ladies and get yourself another Breitling :facepalm:

KBH
I think that fashion and the world has moved on, 36mm is now a ladies watch size, mind you, a DD on a man's wrist has always been an open invitation for both male and female sexual advances, its the wealthier equivalent of a single ear-ring :)

Anyway, leave those toys for the ladies and get yourself another Breitling :facepalm:

Obviously, the hip-hop generation has lost any semblance of good taste.

Ostentatious is the new norm.

13176_2.jpg

100_0068.jpg