Sign in to follow this  
Sakurai

Stripped crown, easy fix or not?

Sakurai

(I did search for an answer but didn't succeed, so apologies if this is already covered somewhere).

So, I bought a Swiss movement 50th anni 007 Seamaster a month or so ago, and recently managed to strip the crown. It is totally impossible to get it to screw down, and the look isn't really sexy with the crown sticking out... :)

I have contacted my TD and am waiting to hear back, but honestly wouldn't expect him to be able to do much, and I have a feeling it would be overkill to ship it twice half way across the globe to get it fixed. So, my questions are: 1) would fixing a stripped crown be an easy fix or rather costly at a watch dealer / repair shop, and 2) is it even adviceable to bring a rep into a shop? I am totally not at the stage where I am confident trying to fix this myself.

WARBOT

You could try taking it to a watch smith but not an AD. How much they would charge, not sure.

Most people I've seen with the stripped crown and tube order a gen set and have them installed. We do have watch modders that do this kind of work. Try and contact one of them.

Hope I've helped a little bit, good luck!

Chairman7w

I'd be curious to know what you learn about repairing that. Please share it. Thanks!

Eadesy

I've also heard someone getting the stem shortened, so that in the 'in' position it's tight up against the case rather than sticking out slightly.

Obviously the crown still can't be screwed in to the case, and it is now definitely not water tight. (Wouldn't make a difference anyway unless it had been tested before, and used it for swimming etc)

Although aesthetically, should look normal.

Not sure of the cost of shortening the stem though?

Some one may come along to help??

Josh.

Eadesy

Just had a read of this, doesn't seem that hard. (No expert by the way)

Would definitely help if you did give it a go yourself.

Sakurai

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I'm gravitating towards looking for a local watch smith or contacting one of the modders here, even if it doesn't look like rocket science I'd probably mess it up beyond recognition. Shortening the stem would also be ok for me, I have other watches to use for swimming. I'll report back when I've had it sorted one way or another - thanks again!