Sign in to follow this  
Sjc9293

Jlc navy seals dive watch

Sjc9293

Ok, I've been smitten by the various pics guys have been posting. I missed buying a gen at $6.5k... So am now debating a rep. My question to all, is it worth the upgrade to a sw100 movement? Given that the movement upgrade costs around $100-$150 over the base price. It makes all the sense in the world if I get it serviced at some point in the future, but I'm still wondering who I could send it in to work on it. My watchmaker wouldn't touch a rep with a 25 ft pole....

Sjc9293

Err I meant the sw200.

PeterPotamus

Sjc, it's hard to tell, it's your money, but for me in a rep watch an asian movement is more than fine

SeptemberSun

Agreed! It's a very unique and striking watch. Go with the Asian movement.

niklas

I have several reps with the SW-200 and I really like that movement.

As PeterPotamus said it's completely up to you and the asian movements generally keep good time.

I'm a sucker for Swiss movements and you should be able to find a watchmaker to service your SW-200 as they can generally source parts quite easily.

Sjc9293
I have several reps with the SW-200 and I really like that movement.

As PeterPotamus said it's completely up to you and the asian movements generally keep good time.

I'm a sucker for Swiss movements and you should be able to find a watchmaker to service your SW-200 as they can generally source parts quite easily.

Right. I can easily find a watchmaker. My concern is will i be able to find one who will service something that quite clearly is a rep. If I don't ever get it serviced, I might be better off saving the additional cost and putting it towards another rep. Oh god the sickness is coming on.....

niklas

I wouldn't begin to worry about the servicing issue just yet.

IMHO you're better off with the SW-200, but again it's a question of finances.

As long as it has a swiss movement I would think you should be able to find a watchmaker that would service the watch, even though it's a rep - of course some won't just because of principal.

If everything goes wrong we have people on the board quite capable of servicing a watch movement.

niklas

And the people on here obviously won't have a problem with working on a rep :lmao:

ellistyle1

I just bought one with Asian. As of a couple of weeks ago you have to go with the movement that's available. Either way, it's nice.

niklas

And you can always swap the movement later on if you decide otherwise.

Sjc9293

Tb still has the sw200 listed as an option. That being said, I haven't validated availability either..... Very good point.

lfovco

I was looking at getting a gen when they were available, but I ended up deciding against it.

I got the rep few days ago. It's not bad. Despite the fact it's a Noob, it does feel like a rep though, not up to the level of Panerai reps.

That said, I do like it. It has many flaws that now I can see clearly while wearing it.

Overall the quality is nice, the black basel scratches really easily, I imagine the material it is made of, is not even remotely as good as the gen. Don't like the quality of the basel black material at all. The crown lock does not behave like the gen, bit it's ok. The pearl on the basel is not accurate. The print quality of the seconds and sub seconds markers and numbers is not nearly up to gen quality.

The case overall is really nice, minus the bezel. The quality of rubber bracelet is surprisingly nice but the screws in rubber bracelet are major crap. Most of them don't even unscrew, took me over an hour to size the bracelet with some major sweat. The bracelet clasp is nice and works well. Case back is nicely engraved but some type layout does not match gen and it's a bit off.

I can go on and one but... overall for the price this is still a nice rep although far from being accurate when it comes to many small details.

Despite the fact it is a Noob, it's still far behind their Panerai's I expected it to be much better ( I still like it though and will keep it for a long time)

Would I now buy a gen? No. I personally would not buy a gen model that is repped. I would opt for the Navy Seal with Alarm, which is a bit bigger at 44mm if I was going to buy gen. It would still have to be a really good deal, gently pre-owned from a reputable dealer on gen forum.

Edited by lfovco

lfovco

I have to revert my comment about the Basel. After 2 days the scratches disappeared which is pretty amazing as they looked quite deep / hairline scratches. So my new impression is that the Basel material is actually really good on the rep.

BigsCG

Buy a used asian JLC NSD off of M2M for ~$325. Buy a SW200 movement if the asian movement ever craps out. I love mine and the asian movement is running strong, but damn i would love if they repped a 44mm version.