Sign in to follow this  
deadlock23

Swiss ETA 2836-2 with GTM hand

deadlock23

Hey, I just for a GMT master from Mary.

I opted out for the better model with the Swiss ETA, and I did a lot of research and according to most members here, the incorrect hand stack ETA model is the most reliable. So far the time has been dead on, I am not losing time for the regular hand, but I noticed that there is a ticking noise, when I swing the GMT hand a full circle at the 6 o'clock position.

Which is exactly, where the GMT hand stops everyday.

I know this model is using a gear which moves 1/2 the speed of the regular hour hand, and it is somehow attached to the date wheel, could it possible the gear used is missing some teeth or some other problem? I would really like to have a fully functional GMT hand, instead of resetting it everyday.

If anyone has some insight I would be very grateful.

Edited by deadlock23

deadlock23

I just got this from the searches......according to Tor, this movement should be bulletproof....so I got a lemon....makes my first rep experience that much more sour....

GMT explained

KBH

Either that or it's catching on the dial marker. Can you see if it's hitting the dial marker?

deadlock23
Either that or it's catching on the dial marker. Can you see if it's hitting the dial marker?

You're a genius. it's clicking on the dial marker.

Is this bad for the movement, meaning if it gets to the marker and can't go past, does it affect the gears? What can I do while I am waiting for the new dial to come in? Thanks

sconehead

The hands just need resetting...if you're not up to doing it, find a local watchmaker who's rep friendly or contact Mary, she'll sort it out for you if you don't mind shipping times etc.

KBH

It might be best to pull the stem out to the setting position to stop the movement. It's an easy fix for any watch repair person.

deadlock23
The hands just need resetting...if you're not up to doing it, find a local watchmaker who's rep friendly or contact Mary, she'll sort it out for you if you don't mind shipping times etc.

I talked to Mary, she said she will take care of all the problems, but I need to ship the watch back...which is fine with me, it's going back to her tomorrow.

Can someone explain the hand reset process? And why they need resetting in the first place?

sconehead

The hands fit onto posts, each should be put on in order and rotated 360 to check they don't foul each other or the dial. Obviously, the GMT hand wasn't checked or has shifted in transit.