Sign in to follow this  
ggcarr

Water resistant/proof

ggcarr

Hi,

Could someone tell me if any of the replica watches are in fact "water resistant or water proof"

As a rule would it be best to keep the watches away from water? Some replicas are better quality than others, so i was hoping that if i bought a good replica that the watch would be at least water resistant. :)

Killasam
Hi,

Could someone tell me if any of the replica watches are in fact "water resistant or water proof"

As a rule would it be best to keep the watches away from water? Some replicas are better quality than others, so i was hoping that if i bought a good replica that the watch would be at least water resistant. :)

Hello, as a general rule. yeah you should keep them out of water.

but if you buy from the dealers here ask them if it is waterproof if they say it is then it is.

i had a rolex datejust i bathed in and never had a problem.

so yeah replicas do come in water resistant / proof but i wouldnt risk in unless the dealer has said to.

rc42

Not even gen manufacturers use the term 'water proof' as there's no such thing for a watch, that term could only apply to something like a solid block of metal.

All watches are water resistant to some extent, the worst will resist some light splashes without the water getting inside, unless you know differently you should treat reps like this.

More resistant watches can be used for swimming, typically those with 30 - 100m ratings, some reps claim they are tested to this level but you should get your own test done to be certain.

The most resistant watches are the dive models, resistance ratings go from around 200 - <stupid>, again for reps get them tested first, the HeV (helium release valve) on reps often makes these models less resistant than the 30-100 range models.

To increase the water resistance of your reps, unscrew the crown and put a tiny drop of oil on the threads and rubber gasket (if there is one) and also remove the caseback and very lightly lubricate the rubber 'O' ring. The cheap (and dangerous) way to test is to shower with it first and check for condensation inside the crystal afterwards. If it passes that test then go for a swim and check again.

If you value the watch though, get it properly tested somewhere first.

sconehead

With divers watches, eg Rolex sub, DSSD, UPO, Breitling Steelfish etc. you should be ok if you grease up the caseback and crown o-rings. I've done this and went swimming with all the above without a problem. Always making sure the crown and any He crown are screwed down tight prior to hitting the pool helps too...:)

Silverspeed

if dealers claim 30m water resistant/proof...what it really means is:

don't get it near 30m of water ;)

robbnj

Are there any posts here? All I can see is an animated avatar with a red t-back...

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diving_watch )

The International Organization for Standardization issued a standard for water resistant watches which also prohibits the term waterproof to be used with watches, which many countries have adopted.

Water resistance is achieved by the gaskets which forms a watertight seal, used in conjunction with a sealant applied on the case to help keep water out. The material of the case must also be tested in order to pass as water resistant.[18]

None of the tests defined by ISO 2281 for the Water Resistant mark are suitable to qualify a watch for scuba diving. Such watches are designed for everyday life and must be water resistant during exercises such as swimming. They can be worn in different temperature and pressure conditions but are under no circumstances designed for scuba diving.

The standards for diving watches are regulated by the ISO 6425 international standard. The watches are tested in static or still water under 125% of the rated (water)pressure, thus a watch with a 200 meter rating will be water resistant if it is stationary and under 250 meters of static water. The testing of the water resistance is fundamentally different from non-dive watches, because every watch has to be fully tested.

ISO 6425 water resistance testing of a diver's watch consists of:

Immersion of the watch in 30 cm of water for 50 hours.

Immersion of the watch in water under 125% of the rated pressure with a force of 5 N perpendicular to the crown and pusher buttons (if any) for 10 minutes.

Immersion of the watch in 30 cm of water at the following temperatures for 5 minutes each, 40°C, 5°C and 40°C again, with the transition between temperatures not to exceed 1 minute. No evidence of water intrusion or condensation is allowed.

Immersion of the watch in a suitable pressure vessel and subjecting it to 125% of the rated pressure for 2 hours. The pressure must be applied within 1 minute. Subsequently the overpressure shall be reduced to 0.3 bar within 1 minute and maintained at this pressure for 1 hour. No evidence of water intrusion or condensation is allowed.

Seiko SBBN007 Professional Diver's 300 m for mixed-gas diving.

For mixed-gas diving the watch has to be immersed in a suitable pressure vessel and subjecting it to 125% of the rated pressure for 15 days in a (helium enriched) breathing gas mix. Subsequently the overpressure shall be reduced to normal pressure within 3 minutes. No evidence of water intrusion, condensation or problems caused by internal overpressure are allowed.

An optional test originating from the ISO 2281 tests (but not required for obtaining ISO 6425 approval) is exposing the watch to an overpressure of 2 bar, no more than 50 µg/min of air is allowed to get inside the case.

Except the thermal shock resistance test all further ISO 6425 testing should be conducted at 18 to 25°C temperature. The required 125% test pressure provides a safety margin against dynamic pressure increase events, water density variations (seawater is 2 to 5% denser than freshwater) and degradation of the seals.

Movement induced dynamic pressure increase is sometimes the subject of urban myths and marketing arguments for diver's watches with high water resistance ratings. When a diver makes a fast swimming movement of 10 m/s (32.8 ft/s) (the best competitive swimmers and finswimmers can not nearly swim that fast) physics dictates that the diver generates a dynamic pressure of 0.5 bar or the equivalent of 5 meters of additional water depth.

[edit]Water resistance classification

Watches are classified by their degree of water resistance, which roughly translates to the following (1 meter = 3.2808398950131 feet):[19]

Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks

Water Resistant or 50 m Suitable for swimming, no snorkeling water related work, and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.

Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER’S WATCH L M FOR MIXED-GAS DIVING additional marking to point this out.

Note: The depth specified on the watch dial or case represents the results of tests done in the lab, not in the ocean.[20]

Some watches are rated in bars instead of meters. Since 1 bar is the approximately the pressure exerted by 10 m of water, a rating in bars may be multiplied by 10 to be approximately equal to that based on meters. Therefore, a 20 bar watch is equivalent to a 200 meter watch. Some watches are rated in atmospheres (atm), which are about 1% greater than bars. In the United Kingdom, scuba divers and others often use the word atmosphere interchangeably with bar (1 atm = 1.01325 bar, or 101,325 Pa).

fakemaster
if you buy from the dealers here ask them if it is waterproof if they say it is then it is.

Don't bet your life on it.

KBH

I have a more pragmatic approach. I figure if it's got a screw down crown and case back with o-rings, and a sapphire crystal that's pressed on correctly, it's going swimming. I grease the o-rings, tighten it up, and throw it in a glass of water. If it's ok it's goes to the bottom of the pool. If it survives that I figure it's good for the beach and swimming. So far I've only had one failure and that was a vintage Rollie with plexi crystal. It turned out that the crystal was cracked under the bezel and after putting in a new crystal it's passed the pool and beach tests.

Be aware that the DSSD's have totally fucked up he valves that are installed backwards and will leak. That is and exception.

Also, I prefer not to try any other watches or any chronometers. I would never trust the pushers, although I've read posts where many of them have actually passed leak tests.

ggcarr

Ok peeps thats good to know. So basically the DSSD has a problem with the He valve and under no curcumstances should be near water?

KBH
Ok peeps thats good to know. So basically the DSSD has a problem with the He valve and under no curcumstances should be near water?

Check it and see if you can push it in from the outside. If you can, then, yes. It would need to be epoxied shut from the inside of the case.

trailboss99
if you buy from the dealers here ask them if it is waterproof if they say it is then it is.

Don't bet your life on it.

Damn straight. ALWAYS, and I don't care who it came from, Josh, Fakey or Omega themselves, ALWAYS have a watch tested yourself before getting it near water.

Having said that, chances are it will pass to at least 3bar (enough for swimming) as the water resistance of reps is grossly underestimated by most (and overstated by some). The pick of the production pack (as opposed to hand builds) are the DSSD (the model without the stupid reverse HEV) and the UN divers series. These have proven to be outstanding in their performance but I'd still have them tested before going anywhere near water.

Col.

Waipio Jeff

I have several reps that are very water resistant. My old Daytona has been swimming with me for almost 6 years. My DSSD is also good to go thanks to Speedy. It swam by accident once before that and was fine but If I ever send anything out for any work I always ask for testing and sealing. Some dealers will do this for you as well. My SOH and my PO Chrono were waterproofed by 2 different dealers and they get wet a lot now. Never a problem, even with the chrono. If there is though, they have already said they would stand by their work and take care of it.