Sign in to follow this  
frogflyer

Seiko "Sumo" Arrival! (Pic Heavy)

frogflyer

I apologize in advance for the less than professional pictures. Also, I am a amateur reviewer and this my very first review. I am sure I don't cover everything, and obviously this comes from my point of view as someone who has always wanted one of these.

Ok, so I have been waiting for this for some time. This model is part of the PROSPEX line. It arrived from Japan (you can't get in the U.S.) very well packed, with a simple, no frills box housing the watch. I have taken some pics with it next to my BK sub just for size comparison.

IMG_1271_zps2eb8ff52.jpgIMG_1272_zps21b9d0b8.jpgIMG_1273_zps429ca2bf.jpgIMG_1275_zpsa6f0f501.jpg

In person the watch is beautiful. The pictures that I viewed while perusing the net for an AD just don't do it justice. The one thing I was worried about once I had already purchased was the size of the band. With such a large case design I thought the band would look ridiculously small. It doesn't! The way the case lugs gently curve downward at the ends allows the case to sit nicely on the wrist and the band actually just tapers naturally and helps to balance the watch, IMO.

As you can see in the next couple of pictures, the Seiko case is much larger than the sub. It should probably be compared to a 45mm PO, but I don't have one. :giggle:

IMG_1277_zpsb8687b11.jpg

As you can see the crown position is different on the Seiko, and it doesn't have crown guards. I think on this model the guards would take away from the overall look of the watch. The bezel is also recessed into case of the Seiko. Not everyone would like this, and actually I am not sure I will like that for diving. It does look nice though and adds to the unique look of this model. The Seiko also has a 120 click unidirectional bezel that feels very smooth as its turned.

IMG_1280_zps8dbd47e0.jpgIMG_1278_zps50236f93.jpgIMG_1279_zpsc02c09de.jpg

The case back looks awesome. There are nicer looking but I like the simplicity of design and the fact that its still screw down unlike the MM 300 (I love that watch by the way and hope to have one next year. I'm jealous Mazz!)

The bracelet fits into the case very tight and is solid and feels like it.

IMG_1286_zps38cb7efa.jpg

The inside of the bezel is neat as well, in that it angles down toward the crystal, something I've never seen before. The case is also smashing in person, going from polished to brushed and polished again, very nicely machined.

IMG_1285_zps9eb46834.jpg

The dial has a matte black finish with simple branding on it. The italicized "Automatic" is different and adds spice to the other wise very plain dial. The lume dots are perfect.

IMG_1284_zps05debada.jpg

The divers extension is very interesting too; although it is difficult to operate and if I hadn't double and triple checked the instruction booklet, I would have thought I was breaking it when opening. If I had to pick something I didn't care for with this watch, it would be the clasp.

IMG_1283_zpsb2829bbd.jpg

Diver extension deployed.

IMG_1282_zpsb3d99582.jpg

Lastly, the wrist shot. I have a 7 inch wrist and I think that it looks nice, not to big. I think it could go on a smaller wrist without looking to large.

IMG_1287_zpsa6014ccd.jpgIMG_1288_zps22118426.jpg

My next Seiko will be the MM 300. This is my first Seiko ever and I am truly a believer now. The quality of this watch is incredible for the price. It beats a little slower than the high beat sub (21,600), but who cares! The lume is the best I have ever seen out of the box. I have a sapphire crystal on order to replace the hardlex. Not sure why they wouldn't upgrade the crystal in this watch, but at least there are options.

I hope you enjoyed, and thanks for looking!!

Bryan

RUSH2112

Impressive. Approx. how much $?

jeffw69

That's a beauty Bryan! Enjoy it, I am sure it will last forever.

You know the lumewhores will be along asking for a lumeshot. :P

frogflyer

I paid 635, but I saw for 550 (out of stock) up to 720.

That's a beauty Bryan! Enjoy it, I am sure it will last forever.

You know the lumewhores will be along asking for a lumeshot. :P

Thanks!

Lol, no doubt!

KarmaToBurn

You can order one from Japan here

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/6R15diver.html

frogflyer: I was just researching this model earlier today :P

Looks great! Enjoy :)

frogflyer

http://www.higuchi-i.../6R15diver.html

if you end up getting one you will not regret it!

KarmaToBurn

http://www.higuchi-i.../6R15diver.html

if you end up getting one you will not regret it!

Probably later this year. I've been eyeing the blue model :thumbsup:

jcglobal

I'm a Seiko fan and collector. I especially like the divers, and this one is a plus in any collection. Congrats. I guess I need to save up.

frogflyer
f1560f78471eecfa0609432f3635830e_zps16c96595.jpgLume after 15 min of light.

HeavyKrush

Wow, that looks great! Wear it in good health.

ShovelnTC

Beautiful watch, I have been a Seiko fan since I was 8 years old when a buddy had one and would let me wear it for short stints.

Haven't had one of the divers for some time but I think it may be time.

Enjoy!

gottahaverolex

Very nice looking Seiko man! Enjoy it

Stuvetjee

When i see this watch, it makes me think of an Oris diver. But still nice purchase!:)

flyr

Very nice, and should be a reliable timepiece for many years to come. Congrats!

Mazz

The reason that Seiko uses hardlex is that while it scratches easier its less likly to completely shatter.

Great first Seiko I can highly recommend the MM300. I'd did a review of the one I had on here somewhere

JohnPilot

Nice gen, good value for money with Seiko.

enjoy.

James.

balls.

Nice watch.

Need to get one of these.

SSTEEL

I really wish I had got myself one of these instead of trying to relive my youth, and getting a watch I had many moons ago when I was skinny lol. My SXK027 is tiny compared to todays standards of watch sizes, and yours looks like its made for my wrist :)

Bm69

Very nice Seiko, wear it in good health.

frogflyer
The reason that Seiko uses hardlex is that while it scratches easier its less likly to completely shatter.

Great first Seiko I can highly recommend the MM300. I'd did a review of the one I had on here somewhere

Oh yes, I saw your review and it made me salivate! Next year!!

Gbkirsch

Can't beat that Seiko. Looks great too...

frogflyer

Thanks to all, and if your on the fence about one I can honestly say (because I was there), if you go for it you won't regret it. The fit and finish is simply amazing for the price! The pics don't do it justice ;)

rhounsell

Great watch and the lume is awesome!

Mbren30

That's an awesome piece of steel

HWG

Nice pick up! Seiko makes some awesome watches, for sure. Enjoy it often!