Sign in to follow this  
Chairman7w

Grand Carrera Calibre 36 from Silix!

Chairman7w

Received my Tag Heuer Carrera, Calibre 36 yesterday, after a hassle-free transaction with Silix. I was drawn to it by the great color coordination with the strap, and liked the red underside. I really like it, it’s a great buy for the money ($90) and looks great on the wrist.

TagCalibre36-8.jpg

The particulars from the website:

Dimension: 43mm x 15mm

Movement: Japanese OS-20 quartz movement with Working Chronograph Function

Dial: Black Dial

Bezel: Black PVD

Case: Solid 316 stainless steel /Black PVD

Strap: Black/red leather strap, with red stitches

Glass: Mineral crystal

Water-proof/Water-resistant: Yes

All my Reps so far (only have 7) have been the Automatic Movement, this is my first Quartz watch. If any of you Veterans have any advice for care and maintenance of the Quartz watch, I’d humbly appreciate it.

First impressions were very favorable upon opening. It was wrapped very snuggly in bubble wrap, then encased in a thick Styrofoam box, which was extremely well taped shut.

After getting up open and unwrapped, I was pleasantly surprised by the weight, it felt nice and solid. The finish is a smooth, matte black. The dial/case size is perfect for my little girly 6-1/2” wrist. It looks great. The strap was a touch stiff, but it’s already limbering up nicely. A cursory inspection found nothing wrong with it, and I proceeded to turn it to the correct time and try and figure out what the buttons do. You set the time with the main crown, and the date wheel changes when you pass 12:00 (twice around). It was a couple weeks off and took some time to get the date adjusted correctly.

The top chrono button starts/starts the :60 second timer, and the bottom chrono button resets it. It has a very cool seconds dial at the bottom that turns, well… every second. The button on the top left of the dial turns the ring around the face, just under the glass - not sure what that’s called. It has a bunch of numbers, but I don’t know what they represent or how it works, other than I can turn it. Anyone?

TagCalibre36-4.jpg

The strap is very nice, black croc style with red stitching and a red back, with Tag Heuer imprinted on the underside. The buckle also has the Tag Heuer logo stamped into it (laser etched?).

TagCalibre36-7.jpg

In the 16 hours I’ve had this watch, it’s kept perfect time. I wouldn’t know how to tell if it had gained or lost any seconds, and if it’s only seconds, that wouldn’t matter to me a bit, since I’m used to setting my watches each day I put it on anyway.

TagCalibre36-3.jpg

All in all, a great purchase for me, that I’m extremely pleased with. Silix was a pleasure to work with, and I look forward to many more purchases with them in the future. Here's to a cool new timepiece!

TagCalibre36.jpg

Edited by Chairman7w

Pharmo

Looks great mate!

These carerra are stunning watches. Now i am getting tempted...although just brought a carerra!

nyckid

This is one of my all time faves! I owned one (quartz) and sold it along with my chocolate Carrera calibre 17. I will buy the one with automatic movement though.

But this one looks stunning! Enjoy it. :thumbsup2:

Scompx1

Can I have a link to this watch? You have got me interested :D

rocky4691

I just checked it out and do $90.00 that's a very nice looking watch for that price. I do lean more to the auto movements and my mail has several gen Tags so since I don't have one in my collection yet I see one in my near future. The watch you have looks great and I'm sure you will enjoy wearing it.

cogwatch

I bought a perfect condition auto with bracelet on M2M for $290 which I thought was a great price. But this quartz one at $90 looks pretty good. Enjoy!!!

e1071d5e-fe78-4bc7-966f-d3f49e9c9507_zpsa429b682.jpg

bhanul

I have just ordered this very same one as my first rep (from Silix) due to this post! So I thought I will stop being a stalker and post here...:P

Thanks very much for review!

Gr4y

Nice watch! Looking at purchasing my first rep and a carrera is on the list

Chairman7w

That's great! I look forward to seeing photos, and hearing what you think about it.

I have just ordered this very same one as my first rep (from Silix) due to this post! So I thought I will stop being a stalker and post here...:P

Thanks very much for review!

core
The button on the top left of the dial turns the ring around the face, just under the glass - not sure what that’s called. It has a bunch of numbers, but I don’t know what they represent or how it works, other than I can turn it. Anyone?

On the gen, the internal caliper bezel is used to measure tenths of a second. Since your version is Quartz, it won't be able to accurately reproduce this function.

After stopping the chrono, you turn the 10 o'clock crown until the red 0 marker on the caliper scale lines up with the red tip of the seconds-hand.

Then you look for which of the ten markings on the caliper scale best lines up with a corresponding marking on the dial to indicate tenths of a second.

phunkshunz
:gunbandana: killer watch

alpl

In the 16 hours I’ve had this watch, it’s kept perfect time. I wouldn’t know how to tell if it had gained or lost any seconds, and if it’s only seconds, that wouldn’t matter to me a bit, since I’m used to setting my watches each day I put it on anyway.

That's the thing about quartz. It should be accurate within a few seconds per year.

core

Anyone know if the new yellow version has been repped yet?

v30xlw.jpg

Edited by core

Chairman7w

2mx2vcw.gif

On the gen, the internal caliper bezel is used to measure tenths of a second. Since your version is Quartz, it won't be able to accurately reproduce this function.

After stopping the chrono, you turn the 10 o'clock crown until the red 0 marker on the caliper scale lines up with the red tip of the seconds-hand.

Then you look for which of the ten markings on the caliper scale best lines up with a corresponding marking on the dial to indicate tenths of a second.

Bisho1986

Another great looking silix cheapie!

kjb1

love it. I love these calibre's

dunkster

Very nice Dude