Sign in to follow this  
veritech

Rubber Strap maintenance?

veritech

What is the best method to maintain rubber straps to prevent cracking, keep it pliable, and remove the grit without damaging? I've read conflicting arguments for and against rubber treatments (a la Armor All), using some oil to maintain the strap, and something called "Veraet" (but I don't think this is necessary).

steveg1

i have a nice rubber strap on a gen seadweller by rubber b they advise warm water and mild soap without detergents?

onionbag

Rub liberally with lighter fluid then......... :fuelfire:

gtwc

Leave it alone and don't worry.

If it is 'gen' rubber - then it'll be OK.

If 'faux' rubber - then kiss it g'bye.

Rubber straps need NO maintenance.

:giggle:

veritech

i have a nice rubber strap on a gen seadweller by rubber b they advise warm water and mild soap without detergents?

Thanks, I read their site prior since they sell (claim) high end rubber straps.

I tried this method on a cheapy Casio, and while it lifted the grime, it discolored that part of the strap. Not sure if I botched up the formula somewhere or if the rubber was poor anyway.

veritech

They all eventually crack and warp, I just want to delay its demise as long as possible :D

Ped

Toothbrush and water, give it a scrub and pat dry. If and when it starts to look crappy, buy another one

p

dalboy

They all eventually crack and warp, I just want to delay its demise as long as possible :D

Yes they do crack and perish..my daily Seiko on rubber took 5 years....... good enough for me cock !! :lol:

Just wear it..when its knackered . Buy another.

Dal.

scorpion

Yes they do crack and perish..my daily Seiko on rubber took 5 years....... good enough for me cock !! :lol:

Dal.

What you wear a Seiko rubber on your cock? And for 5 years? Must be a record, is this to make cock look good or to prevent babies?

Would an Breitling rubber work or must it be Japanese? Oh and Dal.................this time no photos please of your cockle or winkles.

1 smile.gif

JohnPilot

This depends.

For real rubber I use Swizzöl Gum Feed, same I take fro my car care.

For plastic "rubber", Armor all

steveg1

lol some flipin condom that?

dalboy

Dal.

What you wear a Seiko rubber on your cock? And for 5 years? Must be a record, is this to make cock look good or to prevent babies?

Would an Breitling rubber work or must it be Japanese? Oh and Dal.................this time no photos please of your cockle or winkles.

1%20smile.gif

In my defence it is a gen rubber.. :giggle: ..

J!m

I have had several gen Omega rubber bracelets/straps and they all cracked and died.

First was a great white GMT (rubber deployant added later) and that cracked so bad it split! I super glued it as it cracked because that was an INSANELY expensive rubber strap...

Next was/is my PO. Original rubber strap got really brittle after ~3 years and I did my best to keep it "fed" even so far as storing it in a bag with 3M rubber treatment from time to time. No dice. The second strap is on there now, with o-ring keepers (the keepers are the first to fail!)

I have a rep rubber strap in reserve now. The buckle is not quite right, but the rubber parts are quite good. I'll be rockin' rep rubber straps with gen buckles for the foreseeable future.

Good luck!

veritech

Next was/is my PO. Original rubber strap got really brittle after ~3 years and I did my best to keep it "fed" even so far as storing it in a bag with 3M rubber treatment from time to time. No dice. The second strap is on there now, with o-ring keepers (the keepers are the first to fail!)

Good luck!

Hey J!m, I keep pulling up tire dressing when I search for "3m rubber treatment", is that what you used?

J!m

Yeah, I think they changed the name. It is/was 3M tire and rubber treatment maybe? Trim and Rubber ? I can't remember. It is one of THE BEST things out there to take gray plastic trim and make it black like new again. That's what I got it for originally...

Now I use some pink colored goop I got at Pep Boys that works as well- the 3M stuff is hard to find...

Bottom line is: it didn't help preserve the rubber strap.

Eschenpod

I just purchased a product called Vinylex by Lexol at my local Pep Boys.

Used it on my PAM 111 rubber strap and it worked great.

I found out about this protectant from the following watch forum post.

http://forums.watchu...you-507996.html

Edited by Eschenpod

Kleen™

Silicone.