Sign in to follow this  
molliFWM

Why that "UK only" thing in m2m?

molliFWM

Members from the UK have lesser or no trouble with customs when buying from the TD's.

Why do more and more m2m sales have that "UK only" in the description?

No chance for other members from the EU with tougher customs...

Pitty.

Hazz

Most M2M will send anywhere, providing you accept all risks

_DC_

Because people who have no knowledge of customs don't want to risk it, and also it can be expensive and I for one wouldn't have a clue how much to charge extra for shipping overseas to make sure I wasn't out of pocket. With so many members in the UK it's just easier!

That's my 2 cents anyway!

DC

nev848

To be fair most of Europe live in Britain now so not many left over the channel to sell too. :)

Pharmo

Because people who have no knowledge of customs don't want to risk it, and also it can be expensive and I for one wouldn't have a clue how much to charge extra for shipping overseas to make sure I wasn't out of pocket. With so many members in the UK it's just easier!

That's my 2 cents anyway!

DC

I agree...that's my reason for putting UK only.

With time I am sure I will brave the middle earth but for now....UK only!!!

sbryantgb

I put UK only because I would be mortified to have accepted someones money only to have the item seized.

molliFWM

So you can't get any informations about shipping costs to other EU countries in UK?

Glad you found this site without a helping hand.

Indigo38

Id really appreciate someone senior explaining how customs works within europe.

I had assumed that all packages go through customs just like when we get them from TD's. However others say that within europe there are no customs risks?

964boy

Think there's always a customs risk, when shipping abroad to any country.

On saying that I've shipped to EU and Australia with no issues.

RichardMiami

I had assumed that all packages go through customs just like when we get them from TD's. However others say that within europe there are no customs risks?

All packages crossing international boundaries of any type are subject to customs review of the country receiving the package. 100%

That's the easy part.

The hard part is that every country has different customs inspections protocols, and they are also free to change them when they wish.

For example, around the London Olympics, the UK went through a hard time getting packages from China (the Olympics timing may have been coincidental).

But, reportedly, they had no trouble receiving packages from the US.

Another example is that, from time to time, some countries may choose to inspect a higher percentage of packages than at other times. Or different sized packages may draw attention, or different carriers may have different procedures (FedEx vs DHL vs EMS vs whatever).

The rules are almost never fully explained, and changes are common.

Most of this complication is deliberate, designed to keep those who would export contraband on their toes. It doesn't work very well, but that's about all they can do.

NOTE: In M2M, it is strictly up to the seller what risks he wants to take, and what risks he wants to avoid. While it may seem arbitrary from time to time, it is perfectly understandable. I, for one, have transhipped packages for friends when asked. Anyone seeking to get around these types of conditions should simply ask the membership for help. Almost always, someone steps up.

Hazz

Members of EU have little problem ( as no forms to fill in), only once in a while a parcel is looked at, members in Europe, but not involved in the European Union, do have customs declarations to fill in.

Wriggles

To be fair most of Europe live in Britain now so not many left over the channel to sell too. :)

Eh? Must be a bit crowded there now then

nev848

My Sister has lived in Germany for 25yrs. In that time I have probably sent 50 to 60 plus parcels and all arrived no problem. Some quicker than posting to the UK.

Guess sometimes its just a matter of taking the easy route when it's comes to selling and posting.

I wouldn't take it personally and CONUS seems the most popular term to be fair.

black263

For me the big reason is that bank transfers from UK bank to UK bank online are almost instant, with no charges, no chargebacks, no PP disputes, and with Special Delivery I can send or receive a watch to arrive the next working day, tracked and signed for. No brainer.

nev848

Eh? Must be a bit crowded there now then

Getting that way....

dd932960682aec00a4b2cb8d3b50bab1_zpsb5452e36.jpg

Tekkes

I think most of them will ship within Europe if you add the extra shipping costs + accept risks. I don't think there's much custom control... Open borders and all.

gixxerjunkie

Yes most of Europe lives in UK- 64,231,000

635,105,800 Rest of Europe - July 1, 2013 Projection

737,791,800 - 38455000-64231000

Indigo38

Yes most of Europe lives in UK- 64,231,000

635,105,800 Rest of Europe - July 1, 2013 Projection

737,791,800 - 38455000-64231000

I think he means in terms of RWG members, not total population

ShadyManc

It's no more difficult sending to Europe, not much more expensive either and the customs risk is negligible. It is easier sending within the UK though and there is less risk, so it's a very loose preference for me, but only in the same way buying from another member in the UK is slightly more preferable.

black263

It's no more difficult sending to Europe, not much more expensive either and the customs risk is negligible. It is easier sending within the UK though and there is less risk, so it's a very loose preference for me, but only in the same way buying from another member in the UK is slightly more preferable.

For me, the advantage is the ability to do direct bank transfer with no fees on either side, and a guaranteed tracked next day delivery (before 1300) with Royal Mail Special Delivery. No need for paypal or WU charges.

_DC_

There's plenty of people who post items CONUS only, no one has a go at them! Sometimes they're things I really like, but I'm not CONUS so I can't have them, simples, I don't throw a sh*t-fit about it!

DC

Rob Roy

It's not just UK sellers Conus sellers on all 4 sites regularly sell to Conus only.

Selling with in your own area cuts out many risks to the buyer.

Col

Libertatia

OP almost sounds offended..... Currently over on RG, there's an omega bracelet I desperately want, Conus only... Maybe I should be offended

roberto

It'd certainly be easier to sort something out if a cretin decided to do a PP chargeback..

ShadyManc

I think CONUS or UK or whatever are a preference. If someone has something you want then ask, you never know. Don't get offended though, seller has the right to choose who and where they sell to.