Sign in to follow this  
Vector

Life expectancy of a rep ?

Vector

This may already have been discussed , but im gonna put it out there anyway .

How long can i expect my reps to last for ? I only own 2 at the moment , but once the must have list is complete this will rise to 8 .

I will love and care for them as much as my children and due to my strict rotation policy , each piece will be worn maybe once a week .

Is anybodys first rep from years ago still going strong ?

My purchases are all in the 21j automatic price range by the way , if this makes a difference ( :D "Tight as a ducks arse you are hmm " )

Thanks ,

Phil .

greg_r

How long is a piece of string?

I've had a 21J last 6 or 7 years before having problems, but it can be anything from a few months to several years. Sooner or later, however, they're going to need a service (just like any other mechanical movement). The thing with a 21J is that the movement is so cheap it's not really worth servicing, it's usually better to either replace the whole watch or slap a fresh 21J in there.

sconehead

I've got reps that are 3 years old. My beater, an ETA SMP, is on my wrist 5 days a week all year round and still running strong. Someday it will need a service I suppose but that day hasn't arrived yet.

Seeing as you've mainly got 21j movements, they're that cheap to replace that if they ever go tits up, just swap 'em out.

:D

Vector

I've had a 21J last 6 or 7 years before having problems, but it can be anything from a few months to several years. Sooner or later, however, they're going to need a service (just like any other mechanical movement). The thing with a 21J is that the movement is so cheap it's not really worth servicing, it's usually better to either replace the whole watch or slap a fresh 21J in there.

How much would a replacement movement cost to have fitted when the time comes ?

greg_r

It depends on the version, but most are $20 or less. As far as fitting costs go, well that depends on whether you know somebody inexpensive, but swapping a movement isn't that hard to do yourself...

Baldrick

Guaranteed for life!

5 hours after purchase, the mainspring bursts and slashes your wrist :D

sconehead

In the UK cousins has 21j movements for around £15-20. Hopefully by the time any of them go kaput, you'll be confident enough to swap them out yourself...it's not really that hard with the right tools...

Baldrick

talking about right tools, awww, never mind !

Vector
It depends on the version, but most are $20 or less. As far as fitting costs go, well that depends on whether you know somebody inexpensive, but swapping a movement isn't that hard to do yourself...

Very reasonable price ... as for the fitting it myself :D

Would need to see a tutorial first to determine whether thats within my neanderthal skill range ! ( Must browse for that )

Vector
Guaranteed for life!

5 hours after purchase, the mainspring bursts and slashes your wrist :D

Lol .

Vector

In the UK cousins has 21j movements for around £15-20. Hopefully by the time any of them go kaput, you'll be confident enough to swap them out yourself...it's not really that hard with the right tools...

Thats really cheap actually . Would love to be able to do it myself . Very theraputic me thinks !

Vector

I dont have any tools ! :D;):cry: .

Well apart from big industrial type rascals , not really suited to a job of such precision .

sconehead

I dont have any tools ! ;):cry::cry: .

Well apart from big industrial type rascals , not really suited to a job of such precision .

That's soon remedied, https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/

Vector

I dont have any tools ! ;):cry::cry: .

That's soon remedied, https://shop.homage-watches-guide.com/

Cool , thanks for the link . Just need one of them to break now ! :pacing:

Omeg@007

My Friend. The best answers to ur topic is:

1)- Take care of the watches and treat it like a women..hehe

2)- Buy the watch from trusted dealer.

3)- if u can, get some tools that may help u if something goes wrong.

other than that, nil

very simple

Vector

My Friend. The best answers to ur topic is:

1)- Take care of the watches and treat it like a women..hehe

2)- Buy the watch from trusted dealer.

3)- if u can, get some tools that may help u if something goes wrong.

other than that, nil

very simple

[/quot

Its a yes for points one and two ( Apart from my first rep which was purchased before i found you guys )

And point three is being looked into inbetween the inconvenience of having to do some work !! :D

Omeg@007

yea, right. You might no need for tools man, since it is good replica, i think any watch shop will fix it and maintain it for u.

no worries :D

Vector
yea, right. You might no need for tools man, since it is good replica, i think any watch shop will fix it and maintain it for u.

no worries :D

Even a rep ?

Got a few options anyway if things do go pear shaped ;)

trailboss99
Guaranteed for life!

5 hours after purchase, the mainspring bursts and slashes your wrist lol.gif

:D;):cry: :Cry: :pacing::rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Vector
Guaranteed for life!

5 hours after purchase, the mainspring bursts and slashes your wrist lol.gif

:D;):cry: :Cry: :pacing::rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Or i get mugged for it and gutted like a fish ! :lolcina::lolcina::lolcina:

fakemaster

This is tha answer I always give. If you maintain and service it like a 10k watch it will last for longer than you will care to own it.

onzenuub
:itchyandscratchy: