Sign in to follow this  
mac83

omega 50th bond

mac83

Hi guys really love this watch, was wandering if there is only one version of it so far or do some TDs have a newer version. Also what are the main tells on this watch, cheers.

trevsdad

There are two versions. A very inexpensive one (about $100 USD) with far too many tells to describe here, and the 1:1 version. I have a 1:1 and it is damn good, but does have a few drawbacks.

First is the crown...many owners including me, report problems with a crown that is difficult to screw down. Essentially, you have to press hard and make that first turn is a long one so the threads engage. A little annoying at first, but manageable once you get the hang of it. The AR and lume on some is rather weak...I say some since I haven't seen any photos on the forums that makes me believe that the AR is better on one than the other, but some members claim a better AR with models offered by certain TD's. Frankly I'm not sure that the AR is meant to be particularly robust, but I haven't had a chance to inspect a gen yet, so for me the jury's still out on that. I consider all of this easily fixable with a mod or two once the parts become available...might even do some franken work on it.

Probably the biggest and maybe the only tell on this rep is the engraved numbers on the bezel. the red '50' is supposed to be the only engraved number, the others should be flat. On the rep all the bezel numbers are engraved. However no one seems to complain about this since it feels better this way.

here's a look at mine from Ryan at InTime (TD at RWI)

DSCF1356_zps36267eb4.jpg

Hi guys really love this watch, was wandering if there is only one version of it so far or do some TDs have a newer version. Also what are the main tells on this watch, cheers.

Edited by trevsdad

Kleen™

To me an Omega Bond is just wrong in so many ways, but more conceptually that anything else.

If you wanna go Bond, go Explorer 1 - the one and only true Bond watch if Ian Fleming counts more than advertisisng. Which, IMO, it should!

mac83

There are two versions. A very inexpensive one (about $100 USD) with far too many tells to describe here, and the 1:1 version. I have a 1:1 and it is damn good, but does have a few drawbacks.

First is the crown...many owners including me, report problems with a crown that is difficult to screw down. Essentially, you have to press hard and make that first turn is a long one so the threads engage. A little annoying at first, but manageable once you get the hang of it. The AR and lume on some is rather weak...I say some since I haven't seen any photos on the forums that makes me believe that the AR is better on one than the other, but some members claim a better AR with models offered by certain TD's. Frankly I'm not sure that the AR is meant to be particularly robust, but I haven't had a chance to inspect a gen yet, so for me the jury's still out on that. I consider all of this easily fixable with a mod or two once the parts become available...might even do some franken work on it.

Probably the biggest and maybe the only tell on this rep is the engraved numbers on the bezel. the red '50' is supposed to be the only engraved number, the others should be flat. On the rep all the bezel numbers are engraved. However no one seems to complain about this since it feels better this way.

here's a look at mine from Ryan at InTime (TD at RWI)

DSCF1356_zps36267eb4.jpg

Most of these inconsistencies I can Live with as long as everything else is spot on. Also can you comment on the 007 engraving on the dial, are the as per gen. Cheers for the reply

trevsdad

I agree. Tough to tell about the dial engraving...as I mentioned, I haven't been able to inspect a gen yet. It's a limited edition and most dealers and AD sold out soon after arrival. The dial is very subtle depending on the light angle. Most times it presents as black, and the gen is reported to have the same effect. I'd also like to get a look at the bracelet. Mine feels good, but many rep bracelets tend to be thinner than the gen counterpart. Gen photos seem to match up, but there's nothing like seeing it up close and holding it in your hand to know for sure.

mac83

I agree. Tough to tell about the dial engraving...as I mentioned, I haven't been able to inspect a gen yet. It's a limited edition and most dealers and AD sold out soon after arrival. The dial is very subtle depending on the light angle. Most times it presents as black, and the gen is reported to have the same effect. I'd also like to get a look at the bracelet. Mine feels good, but many rep bracelets tend to be thinner than the gen counterpart. Gen photos seem to match up, but there's nothing like seeing it up close and holding it in your hand to know for sure.

Your watch looks great by the way, the pearl position looks to be correct from the pictures.

Crusader

To me an Omega Bond is just wrong in so many ways, but more conceptually that anything else.

If you wanna go Bond, go Explorer 1 - the one and only true Bond watch if Ian Fleming counts more than advertisisng. Which, IMO, it should!

Tsssssk, don't start Rolex vs. Omega fight :lol:

But just to be sure, Omeeega is the right watch for Mr. Bond :)

Edited by Crusader

Geof

They did. They call it an Aqua Terra midsize now. :rolleyes:

Kleen™

They did. They call it an Aqua Terra midsize now. :rolleyes:

Yes, I know the Terras design is very similar to the Explorer, but I meant that whatever watch Ian Fleming specified in his books is what belongs on Bonds wrist -> qed the Explorer 1. Not Omega.

Very conservative, I know....:-)

Demil

Hi. I am new to this site, but love this watch. May I ask where you got it from? Looking to purchase. Thanks

dean4276

I have both the gen and rep and as mentioned the only differences are the AR, not really that noticeable, the lume, which is slightly weaker and the bezel. It's hard to spot the bezel thou, only when you run your nail over it. The gen bezel is every so slightly engraved to, but not as deep. It's the best rep I have had when compared side by side.

Ps, I have posted side by side pictures on this site

NFleischer

Hi. I am new to this site, but love this watch. May I ask where you got it from? Looking to purchase. Thanks

Most of the TDs have them, I got mine from Perfect Clones. The watch is great looking, I also have a problem with the crown/tube.DSCN0251_zps4b4285bd.jpg

Beside that - the fit, finish and mov't seem top notch. One of the better reps around, no doubt IMO.

mac83

looks great tempted to go for this but also want the liquid metal

mayjas

Most of the TDs have them, I got mine from Perfect Clones. The watch is great looking, I also have a problem with the crown/tube.DSCN0251_zps4b4285bd.jpg

Beside that - the fit, finish and mov't seem top notch. One of the better reps around, no doubt IMO.

awesome watch, im looking around to get the gen on resale, currently listed for USD.5100, is the price ok?

Any idea what would be a good bargain price.........

thanks....

ShovelnTC

I've got the cheaper version, 21J from Reg and I think it's a great watch for the money.

That being said I don't go out of my way to look for tells or defects, it's just a nice watch to me so I enjoy it for what it is.

Demil

Thank you all for your advise! Soon to be mine....

aazam80

Hi,

I am new member on this site and I have just order the same watch from Trusty Time...now waiting for it impatiently...:-).

Will post pics and review once I have the watch...got to say this is one good looking watch.

Aazam

mayjas

Hi,

I am new member on this site and I have just order the same watch from Trusty Time...now waiting for it impatiently...:-).

Will post pics and review once I have the watch...got to say this is one good looking watch.

Aazam

welcome to the forum.........good first choice........hope to see the pictures soon.......post a small review also if possible...........