Sign in to follow this  
ShovelnTC

First dial change (fifty five fathoms).

ShovelnTC

Hey guys well I decided to give my new RWG tool kit the maiden voyage.

I like the Seiko mods I'm seeing around and a few of the guys here have them in various versions but after finding the one I like I decided the 350 buck asking price was a touch more than I'd like to pay so I thought this would be a good opportunity to try a dial change myself.

Hey whats the worse that could happen, well disaster of course but what the hell I went for it.

I bought the Seiko SNZH55 which can be found for anything between 150 and 300USD but I found one at a NZ seller for about 150 shipped.

I found the late version of the Fifty five fathoms at DAGAS for 35 bucks shipped so provided I don't botch it that watch will owe me less than 200.

Anyway I was going to do a detailed report of the switch but considering I pretty much followed OLWORTHERS post from RWI to the letter it probably wasn't needed but after I got going I was just concentrating way to much to remember to take any more pics.

So sorry about that and for the phone pics.

Laid out most of the tools likely needed.

IMG_5396_zpse62c4d75.jpg

Watch before dissection.

IMG_5399_zpsd3653e8e.jpg

During the process I did have some issues as the movement didn't stop when the crown was pulled out so I was a touch confused, I could get it to stop by slightly winding backward but it wasn't as i would have expected. Also the movement didn't "drop out" as described so I had to carefully pry the plastic movement holder a touch.

IMG_5404_zps9a54c9a4.jpg

Sorry I missed some pics in between but after a bit of a struggle to get the sweep hand back on the final job looked like this!

IMG_5414_zps542a5532.jpg

I'm going to paint the tip of the sweep hand in red but I didn't have the paint and I wanted to do the job tonight so the red paint will be a job for later.

Lume on the new dial slightly different and not quite as bright but I'm happy with it.

IMG_5422_zps87f0547e.jpg

And of course the wristie!

IMG_5419_zpsce92b8fa.jpg

IMG_5435_zps85e6dfec.jpg

So in summery for my first time into a watch apart from changing a battery I was a little nervous and at one point thought that I wouldn't be able to do the job as I did have some difficulties removing the crown and also the movement, I also lost the sweep hand and had trouble getting it back on to the pinion and I'm used to working on cars and motorcycles so using tiny tools and lupes was certainly awkward for me.

But it's back together, it working and I love the look so all is good!!!

Edited by ShovelnTC

B5GLX

Looks great! That might be another itch I need to scratch :).

SSTEEL

Congrats my friend, bet you are proud :)

Odyseus

Great choice of watch to start playing with watches! Now you can service the 7S26 movement in it?

Leigh

really nice job - looks great!

TheSav

Great work. Congrats and enjoy :)

corsa

Awesome!!! well done, looks great!!