Sign in to follow this  
JoeyB

Getat's Marina Militare 44mm PVD Case GMT Function Watch

JoeyB

As some of you already know, I am a GMT guy. I actually use the function in work and play and keeping tab on my Son away at college. My preference is Rolex, but I have a Breitling World GMT and really like it. And, I like the GMT function better on the ETA/21j movements than the genuine Rolex. The ETA 2893-2 works the same way as the modified ETA 2836-2, and the 21j and A7750 work as the ETAs do, all with the settable 4th hand.

So, our feerless leader, greg_r, posted pics a few weeks ago of a PVD he had Tat build for him and it caught my eye. I really wasn't much for Pams until then, but it really looked nice and I always did like JohnG's 'Dien Bien Phu' sandwich dial. That dial is nice.

I asked Tat to build me a PVD GMT with a sandwich dial and he said he could not do it, never said why. Just no. So I priced out buying the parts separately to build myself, and I had a couple of spare GMT movements to save a buck. Nope, it didn't save a thing. The GMT at $85.00 USD is just far too low to try to build it myself. I ordered the GMT and a separate 44mm black on black sterile dial. They came very quickly, 8 days from Hong Kong through HK post, not EMS.

It is nice, solid, the dial is a bit too busy for my taste but the lume is very good. The leather strap is very nice, soft and well made. It has a 21j movement, and in the first day gained 4 seconds. Not bad at all. I will wear this as is for a while, then I think I will try to swap out the dial and make a 'stealthy' all black watch. I'll likely only be able to read it at night by lume, but that gives me an excuse to change watches in the same day!

I am very surprised and impressed with the watch for $85.00 USD, but it came in a very nice case as well. Getat does a very good job as a surprisingly low price. I echo all the good recommendations, very impressive indeed.

Getat2GMT.jpgGetatGMT.jpg

AllergyDoc

Tat's watches are a good deal. Nice pick up, Joey. I think the size is better for your beefy wrist, too.

Is the 21J movement noisy? Can you hear the rotor?

JoeyB

Actually the 44mm is a bit big, but doable. I can't imagine the 47mm or 50mm!

I can hear it when it's about 3 inches from my good ear.

scope

Nice watch!

ebzen02

How is the lume compared to standard reps?

greg_r

That looks pretty damned good for $85. Congrats! :rofl:

JoeyB
How is the lume compared to standard reps?

The lume is much brighter and longer lasting than any of my other reps, between 3 - 4 hours.

@greg_r: It is a hell of a price. The strap alone is $40. A 21j GMT movement can be anywhere from $10 - $25. I saw a couple of Pam 'aftermarket' cases sold on Ebay for upwards of $150.