Sign in to follow this  
Ilikewaches

Fixing an end link gap

Ilikewaches

I have the 42mm PO v5 I believe. I took the bracelet off to give it bath in dry lube. After putting it back on I noticed a small gap on the top side 12 between the end link and the case. I've taken it back on and off a bunch of times and I can't seem to close the gap. I even swapped the spring bars from the bottom to the top and still have the same issue. still only on the top

It's in place, but it seems to move up and down just a little, enough to cause a small gap. I did notice that the spring bar almost seems kind of small in diameter. It has play in the hole for the end link. It's not an issue on the bottom side and the spring bar is exactly the same and like I said I swapped them and the gap persists only on the top and not the bottom.

Any tips on how I can close that up?

fetasigma

either get a thicker springbar or put a little bend in it and that should do the trick

Ilikewaches

either get a thicker springbar or put a little bend in it and that should do the trick

Bending it, really? That won't make it even worse? I get what you are saying though a small bend might help make it "fill up" the hole better.

Ilikewaches

Ok did a little bend put it back on same thing. Took it off and gave it even more of a bend still the same thing. Should I go even more?

Ilikewaches

Thanks but that didn't work, if I bent it anymore it would be a U. I straightened it back out. Perhaps it's those little feet that stick out on the back of the end link. It seems like if they were tighter the end link would not move up and down. Now those look tough to bend, the end links are solid and the feet look machined. Should I try bending those?

Eadesy

Good luck with this one, may be a bit of trial and error needed.

If it does break you can always get a new spring bar pretty easy.

Was the gap there before you took it off?

I've done the same thing today, though this only minimised the gap slightly.

LightGeek

Nonono. If it moves on that one side then it's not seated in. Use a flashlight to see where the hole is (usually closer to the head). Then use a pin and wedge the springbar end into the hole that last millimeter.

Ilikewaches

Good luck with this one, may be a bit of trial and error needed.

If it does break you can always get a new spring bar pretty easy.

Was the gap there before you took it off?

I've done the same thing today, though this only minimised the gap slightly.

Good question. I took it off the very first day I got it to give it the dry lube bath. I don't recall seeing any gap, but I might be wrong. I can't imagine bending it anymore than I did is going to help, it had a pretty good bend in it. It made no difference at all. I really think it's the feet on the end link. If I push it into place, the feet are no where near holding on to the case, when the gap it showing the feet are then touching the case.

What size spring bars go in this thing anyway? It's the 42mm PO. I might as well order a new set now.

LightGeek

I'm 99% sure it just takes a bit of a nudge to get it to fit. It's like that with a few of the dozens of reps I've had.

Ilikewaches

Nonono. If it moves on that one side then it's not seated in. Use a flashlight to see where the hole is (usually closer to the head). Then use a pin and wedge the springbar end into the hole that last millimeter.

It's in the hole without a doubt. I even marked the back of the case so I could line it up. I double checked with a flashlight. The spring bar is not moving at all. The end link is pivoting around the springbar up and down like a hinge it's not moving in and out. Up it's completely flush against the case, once it pivots down the gap opens up.

Libertatia

The bar has to be thicker. If you don't buy new ones, you can always just do a ''bodge job'' and wrap the spring bar in a tiny bit of cello tape, to make it that slightly bit thicker. Thats what I done anyway and the end links are solid. Of course slit the tape half the width of normal, and take it from there.

Edited by papabear

LightGeek

It's in the hole without a doubt. I even marked the back of the case so I could line it up. I double checked with a flashlight. The spring bar is not moving at all. The end link is pivoting around the springbar up and down like a hinge it's not moving in and out. Up it's completely flush against the case, once it pivots down the gap opens up.

If you're sure and the shoulders look seated evenly on both sides then it's the 1% where the spring end is bent or loose. I've had two CrPOs and the spring bars are very beefy (2mm?) so unlikely it's a sizing issue. Of course maybe they cheaped out now and using thinner ones.

Ilikewaches

If you're sure and the shoulders look seated evenly on both sides then it's the 1% where the spring end is bent or loose. I've had two CrPOs and the spring bars are very beefy (2mm?) so unlikely it's a sizing issue. Of course maybe they cheaped out now and using thinner ones.

The spring end looks loose now that you mention it. When I move it up and down I can see the end not moving at all, seated in the shoulder, but you can see the entire end is moving around a little bit inside the middle sleeve. This has to be the problem. Ok so now what size spring bars do I need to order?

LightGeek

The lug width of the 42mm PO is 20mm and 45mm PO is 22mm.

Take a pic of the spring bar and let's have a look. Like I said the thickness on the ones I've had are a beefy 2mm so you'll want to use at least 1.8mm to minimize rattling.

Ilikewaches

Ok here we go pic the nasty looking springbar and a pic of the gap.

7j7Jt24.jpg

2ORYXN0.jpg

Ilikewaches

Ok I think I got it fixed. I pilfered a springbar out of one of my other watches and got it in there and it seems to pretty much close the gap. It wasn't easy, the bracelet was on and off at least 10 times. I don't think I can get it much better. I'm going to order some extra springbars anyway. Here is the after pic.

RnCAc8r.jpg

LightGeek

Wow those are crappy spring bars. These are the ones that came in my two CrPO (one orange, one black)

ga9yhysy.jpg

LightGeek

Oh wait, I've been smoking the good stuff. For the whole thread I thought you had a CrPO until I saw the case back pic. Silly me.

Yep, my v5 had thin bars too and I "upgraded" them to 1.8" diameter ones.

Ilikewaches

Oh wait, I've been smoking the good stuff. For the whole thread I thought you had a CrPO until I saw the case back pic. Silly me.

Yep, my v5 had thin bars too and I "upgraded" them to 1.8" diameter ones.

I had a non functioning invicta and I pulled the bars out of that one and they were much thicker and had a nice snug fit in the hole. At first I didn't think they were going to work, but once I got them to pop into the shoulder it closed up the gap nicely.

Eadesy

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted. Looks much better!

Ilikewaches

Good stuff, glad you got it sorted. Looks much better!

Thanks, it's nice and snug now. I went ahead and ordered some good quality replacement bars anyway. If anyone else is having this issue, it's most likely time to upgrade those bars.