Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

It's a Daytona - or is it?

greg_r

Picked this up for a giggle yesterday.

I've got a vintage 'tona 6263, which I love, but have been wanting a modern-style one for a while. Secs@6 put me off, however - and the versions (in terms of dial colour and finish) I was looking for seem to be unavailable in secs@9.

I very nearly bought a 21J from Robert back when he was supplying them with a frozen chrono hand - but wouldn't buy a regular 21J as the constantly-sweeping chrono hand would bug me.

Nothing much available in quartz from dealers I would be prepared to do business with.

So... I didn't buy one.

Yesterday while out shopping with the Missus (and waiting for her to get out of one of those craft shops that bore me rigid), I saw this. It's quartz, has 'Rotary' on the dial rather than Rolex but is such a complete rip-off of the Daytona that it even has asymmetrical-positioned pushers! I started laughing, then saw the price. Normal price £125. Clearance price less than half of that (for the one on display in the window). Just had to do it - even if I end up giving the damned thing away in a few weeks!

As with most Rotary watches (one of the better budget brands imho - I've had a few of 'em), it's nicely built and well finished. It still makes me laugh when I look at it - just because of the sheer nerve of these guys.

Oh, and I kinda like the way it looks... ;)

rotarydaytona140713.JPG

Pharmo

loving that mate - must say have been impressed with rotary in the past. Great price for what you get.

I can mod the .."..TARY" to read "LEX" if you like - for a small fee of course ;)

SSTEEL

Nembo, Alex (On RG) is selling the frozen large chrono hand 21J Daytonas similar to Roberts old offerings. This he may of sold out though, but is getting more stock.

Is this Rotary your first watch purchase in quite a while Greg?

Edited by SSTEEL

CaptainFantastic

I was down at the jewlers getting a bracelet for my other half's birthday, looking around the watch section while I waited for it to be cleaned up and boxed I couldn't believe how many brands look so so similar to the big names. Like you say, can't believe the nerve of them. It'll be like samsung vs apple all over again.

greg_r

Yeah, this is the first watch since I bought my Longines and Seiko back in February.

Wouldn't be interested in doing business with nembo, frankly...

I was down at the jewlers getting a bracelet for my other half's birthday, looking around the watch section while I waited for it to be cleaned up and boxed I couldn't believe how many brands look so so similar to the big names. Like you say, can't believe the nerve of them. It'll be like samsung vs apple all over again.

Yeah - I had a Rotary a few years back which was very much a Breit Navitimer lookalike. They all do it, but this was a bit more blatant than most :D

SSTEEL

OK, no worries, just thought I'd mention is seeing as you mentioned Roberts old frozen 21J type.

dalboy

Maybe a Rolex / Rotary love child.. :giggle:

Kleen™

Were the 21j w. frozen hands considered reliable. - even with occasional use of the chrono?

(well, obviously not as reliable as a the quartz, but in comparison to the mod'ed 7750's...)

replicastuff

Love this rotary actually had the same watch but in the classic white dial combo on silver bracelet. Sold it though and do regret it as cant seem to vuy anymore.

P4GTR

So what powers that bad boy?

So nembo is admin of RG slash rep dealer?

greg_r

Were the 21j w. frozen hands considered reliable. - even with occasional use of the chrono?

(well, obviously not as reliable as a the quartz, but in comparison to the mod'ed 7750's...)

Yes, they were quite reliable - no occasional use of chrono, though - no chronos on 21J!

Centre seconds were permanently frozen. Subdial @ 6 was working.

So what powers that bad boy?

Usual OS20 quartz as found the world over ;)

So nembo is admin of RG slash rep dealer?

Yep.

Kleen™

Yes, they were quite reliable - no occasional use of chrono, though - no chronos on 21J!

Centre seconds were permanently frozen. Subdial @ 6

Yes, I know that the 21j is not a chrono movement:-)

But I'm pretty sure I read in a thread somewhere that, in combination with freezing the central seconds hand, some of the 21j's were also mod'ed by having a chrono function built on top them. Don't know if that was (also) a Robert mod, though...?

The advantage, if I recall correctly from memory, was a slimmer movement than the quirky 7750, thus allowing for a slimmer, more gen-like casing. Anything to this...?

SSTEEL

Yes, thinner case set with the 21J frozen seconds Daytona.

Kleen™

- edit: Maybe it's not a chrono-function built onto the 21j, but just allowing moving hands on subdials @ 3 and 9.

Again; I'm not sure if or how it's done, hence my question..;-)

greg_r

- edit: Maybe it's not a chrono-function built onto the 21j, but just allowing moving hands on subdials @ 3 and 9.

Subdials are moved by the pushers - on some really low-end versions they move with day and date, but the better 21J versions I've seen only operate when you press a pusher and don't really serve any useful function.

Kleen™

Subdials are moved by the pushers - on some really low-end versions they move with day and date, but the better 21J versions I've seen only operate when you press a pusher and don't really serve any useful function.

Got it - thx:-)

diskotekno

I had some gift cards on Amazon and saw one of these, so I figured what the heck and have got one coming my way.

ronin007

From nembo-D2A7C198_zps0bc049fd.jpg