Sign in to follow this  
QinetiQ

Is it safe to leave a watch hacked?

QinetiQ

Well the title says it pretty much all. I have a bunch of watches and I'm yet to buy a winder. Until then I was thinking about leaving my watches hacked until I decide to wear them. I don't feel like winding them every day or two manually so I rather wind them once and hack them. Then next time when I want to wear the watch I just set the time and push the crown back in. Is that a good idea?

robbnj

Wind 'em and let 'em run, or store them run-out (with maybe just a few turns of the crown).

Storing with a fully wound spring is not a good idea.

The best thing for a mechanical watch is to keep it running at all times. This way, the microscopic amount of oil in there circulates & doesn't "gum" up.

KBH

Sounds like an excellent idea. As long as you don't wear out the threads of the cheap screw down crowns and tubes. I can't imagine that it could hurt the movement.

AllergyDoc

I seem to recall that leaving a watch hacked might allow dust to enter the case.

QinetiQ
:wacko:

KBH
I seem to recall that leaving a watch hacked might allow dust to enter the case.

Not on a Rolex or any water proof watch. There are o-rings inside the tube that fit up to and around the stem. Besides, I think a thousand times more would get in every time the case back is opened.

AllergyDoc

Looked this up at RWGjr.

Pugwash: "In a waterproof watch, it's best to leave the crown screwed in at all times."

FxrAndy: "I let mine just run down so that there is no pressure left on the main spring."

Ziggy: "Setting the time on any watch wears out the cannon gear. The A7750, if unserviced, is especially prone to this problem due to defective cannon gears that tend to slip."

ubiquitous: "This is a bit tricky on any 7750 as you'd still need to set the date. The big problem here is that it is not advised to adjust the date between the hours of 7pm and 2am as the slow change date gear mech may be engaged with the hour wheel; date setting within these hours will cause damage to the movement.

So, you'd need to remember when you took your watch off (am/pm); if you hacked the movement during PM hours close to when the date mech would be engaged, you'd need to adjust the time anyways to get you to a safe point for adjusting the date... Unless you waited until the same date/time next month to wear the watch again."

So you for sure wouldn't want to leave a 7750 hacked with the time between 10 and 2.

QinetiQ

I've heard that the best time to set the date is when both hands are pointing at 5 (5.25) so that's the position I keep my hacked watches at. Now after reading your replied I'm mainly worried about the mainspring.

AllergyDoc

And:

andreww: "Having over a dozen watches, I simply hack the movement when I am not wearing a watch. When I want to wear a particular watch I just set the date and time and I'm ready to go. I used to wind each watch every night, and that was a very tough habit to break, but after seeing Zigs post I made the effort to change my ways."

Neuuubeh: "I don't think hacking movements with fully wound mainspring is a great idea, the stress coming from the mainspring constantly cant be good."

QinetiQ

So best outcome would be to hack the crown with a movement NOT fully wound? Maybe 5-6 turns or so? Am I getting this right?

AllergyDoc

I'm like Fox News: just giving you the facts and letting you decide. :wacko:

I've never claimed to be an expert at anything except remembering what others have written. Hang on and see what others who know more than me say.

KBH

"I think I will. No wait. Maybe not. Errr, maybe. No, better not. But what about?" :rofl:

Makes me glad I have a 4 watch winder. Problem solved.

Now, I bet Doc can find at least 3 different opinions on using watch winders. :wacko:

Edit: When did Fox news start reporting facts. I always thought they'd never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

AllergyDoc
Now, I bet Doc can find at least 3 different opinions on using watch winders. :wacko:

3? More like 10. We need another thread, though.

Edit: When did Fox news start reporting facts. I always thought they'd never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

They're much more factual than 98% of what the AP reports.

You mean you watch Fox News? :rofl:

fakemaster

Leave them run down. Don't worry about it. They're cheap.

JoeyB

I totally disagree.

KBH

NO. But I do like a lot of Fox's other fantasy shows. :D

Brightlight

I totally disagree.

Hey that's funny! You're really knocking them out today Joey Boy!!

JoeyB

NO. But I do like a lot of Fox's other fantasy shows. :D

They are the dysfunctional network. :D

Brightlight

NO. But I do like a lot of Fox's other fantasy shows. :rofl:

They are the dysfunctional network. :woo:

Dysfunctional network huh :D I'll have to get a notebook and write these gems down.

JoeyB

NO. But I do like a lot of Fox's other fantasy shows. :woo:

They are the dysfunctional network. :rofl:

Dysfunctional network huh :D I'll have to get a notebook and write these gems down.

Make certain to get baldy to help you. :rofl:

Brightlight
Make certain to get baldy to help you. :woo:

Oh great riposte Joey!! :rofl::D:rofl:

Is there no beginning to this man's brilliant wit?

JoeyB
Make certain to get baldy to help you. :woo:

Oh great riposte Joey!! :rofl::D:rofl:

Is there no beginning to this man's brilliant wit?

I aim to please! :rofl:

QinetiQ

Guys this is getting out of topic here. I was looking for some help and look where you took it to... :yoda: How the hell did you manage to go from hacked movement to Fox News?

KBH
Guys this is getting out of topic here. I was looking for some help and look where you took it to... :facepalm: How the hell did you manage to go from hacked movement to Fox News?

You mean you didn't get clear and concise answers to your question? I can't imagine how that could happen around here. :yoda:

:lostthread:

dingle
Guys this is getting out of topic here. I was looking for some help and look where you took it to... :lostthread: How the hell did you manage to go from hacked movement to Fox News?

welcome to the nuthouse :yoda: