Sign in to follow this  
AllergyDoc

Watch movement oils...

AllergyDoc

It's my understanding from reading Ziggy posts and others that the oil used in watch movements has a finite life. In other words, it's going to last X number of years before it breaks down. The watch owner can't shorten or extend the life of the oil, except maybe to allow dust, etc., into the case by opening the watch in a dusty environment.

Also, the oils are placed at stress locations, which are jeweled. Oils are not applied between flat plates.

Any corrections so far?

sconehead

Not just jewels Doc. On the mainspring, it's pivot, winding/time setting gears, keyless parts and the stem itself...

edit: if you go through the assembly section, all the relevant parts to be oiled are shown. Much the same for every movement...

http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html

AllergyDoc

Okay.

So what, if anything, does the movement suffer from being left in a box, not running, for

1 week:

1 month:

3 months:

1 year:

Longer than a year:

Baldrick

Watches can lie for years and still be OK, if properly serviced, general service intervals run approx 3 years, capillary action will reduce the efficiency of oils,however as the watch is non running, there should be no wear and tear, like a car that's been laid up, a watch should generally be serviced when taken out of retirement.

AllergyDoc

So, as long as the idle time doesn't exceed the life of the oil or lube, the watch should be fine. As most recommend a service every five years, is it safe to assume you could lay a watch down for 3 or 4 years, pick it back up, and it should run fine?

sconehead

ahhhhhhh...the life of the oil...

Just like modern automotive oils the newer stuff from Moebius is synthetic and less prone to gumming up etc. They claim 5-7 years but remember they need repeat business from watchmakers...:lol:

As an example, Omegas 2500 movement has service intervals of up to 9+years, this is due to using modern oils as well as their co-axial escapement but shows how they regard the oils useful lifespan...

Baldrick
As an example, Omegas 2500 movement has service intervals of up to 9+years, this is due to using modern oils as well as their co-axial escapement but shows how they regard the oils useful lifespan...

Good old George Daniels, the maaaster :lol:

just don't go using Mobil 1.

AllergyDoc

I'm coming at my main point backwards.

If all this is true, then there's no value to a watch winder other than convenience. It would seem to me that they would actually wear watch parts out sooner rather than later.

There's no true to the statement that keeping an automatic movement running "spreads the lube around" and that letting it sit idle "gums up the oil"?

sconehead

...correct imo Doc, the oil doesn't splash around as such, and modern oils don't gum up. Mind you every rep movement I've worked on was dry as a bone...

...I don't own a watchwinder, don't hack my watches but let them wind down of their own accord and guess what...they all work fine when I decide to wear them...:lol:

AllergyDoc

It would seem that once you decide a watch is a "keeper", it's best to get it serviced, or service it yourself.

sconehead
It would seem that once you decide a watch is a "keeper", it's best to get it serviced, or service it yourself.

:lol:

Baldrick

Having thunk, ergo cogito sum :lol:

AllergyDoc
Doesn't a winder protect my watch by keeping the oils from clotting?

The oils used in most modern watches and properly serviced vintage watches are not very prone to clotting or coagulating. While there are technical reasons in favor of keeping a watch continuously running, there are also reasons in favor of not unnecessarily overusing a watch.

There is no significant evidence that a good watch winder will either save or harm your watch. The several watch repair professionals I've dealt with say they've never encountered a watch that 'would have been fine, if only the owner had kept it on a winder.'

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/winders.shtml#need

Baldrick

What do you think watch collectors did before the days of affordable winders, they weren't running round wailing 'the sky is falling and I don't have a watch winder, what ah'm a gonna do' !!!

Marketing forces at work Doc !

they're affordable nowadays, if u want ine get one, your watxhes won't die if u don't!