Sign in to follow this  
J!m

Omega Factory Service Time Frame...

J!m

For anyone interested in having their Omega serviced, I just got the call today that my PO is back from the spa.

They did a full clean, lube and adjust on the movement (which I requested), replaced the crown, crown tube an He valve (which they insisted on). I also had them replace the bezel due to scratches (that was my choice). Maybe they will re-polish the case, which would be nice, but I don't know for sure. Nothing outrageous here, but Omega is S L O W...

I dropped it off April 1st, and it is now July 24th. 115 days, or 82 work days. I should be collecting it tomorrow...

Does anyone have any other factory service time experiences to share?

jcglobal

Takes about the same time as servicing an Invicta.

Pharmo

wow that's long!

How much roughly does it cost to service omega if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers :)

J!m

Well, the service will cost quite a bit more than a complete new replica anyway. Probably several.

Put it this way: the bezel assembly alone is ~$300.00 if that is any clue as to the total service cost...

I won't know exactly how much until tomorrow, and frankly I don't think it should be publised on an open forum like this.

The good news is it only happens every 10 years or so. head%20bash.gif

Pharmo

Well, the service will cost quite a bit more than a complete new replica anyway. Probably several.

Put it this way: the bezel assembly alone is ~$300.00 if that is any clue as to the total service cost...

I won't know exactly how much until tomorrow, and frankly I don't think it should be publised on an open forum like this.

The good news is it only happens every 10 years or so. head%20bash.gif

Thanks - useful info worth knowing.

:)

J!m

Here's the watch- good as new! (maybe better??)

PObackfromspa.jpg

Here's the breakdown of what was done:

• Full polish/brush on case (one scratch is visible in the brushed area, but it is much finer than it was)
  • New crown
  • New crown tube
  • New He valve/tube assembly
  • New Hands (H, M, S)
  • New Bezel complete
  • New Spring Bars
  • New case back gasket
  • New Crystal gasket
  • Full movement service (looks like I got a new barrel/mainspring as well)
  • Re-certified for timing (Avg rate of 3.9 sec/day)
  • Vacuum tested
  • Full dive depth pressure test
  • Returned in the red leather service case (nice, and great for travel!)

I did notice the seconds hand tip was fading a bit... Now you can see that tip across the room!

Lume on dial,hands and bezel all match color and strength. I was worried the new hands might be brighter than the original dial but it is fine. This watch is as good, if not better, than new. Very pleased!

Gee_J

Looks great pity about the remortgage you're going to have to get now :-D

J!m

It's not that bad. If you purchase a watch like this, you have to be able to afford the servicing, not just the initial purchase. A lot of watches for sale are ready for service and the seller just doesn't mention it... They are too cheap to keep up with it! It's like owning a Ferrari and stretching the oil change mileage. Not smart!

You do a service on a Co-Axial like this once a decade. That was (one of) the claim(s) by Omega when the 2500 Co-Axial was released, and I'd say this is true. This kept excellent time from day one to when it started running for fewer hours, and I sent it in. Perhaps the mainspring broke and I was not aware of it. This would explain the shorter power reserve.

The only thing that might be better than this is the new 8500 Co-Axial with the Silicon balance spring. Other than that, for a mechanical watch, this thing is pretty bad-ass in my book.

Actually, if you spread it out, it's not much different that getting a battery changed in a decent Quartz watch every year for 10 years, which is the recommendation for all Quartz watches, even if the battery is not 'dead' yet... I much prefer this!

Duzza

Don't Omega do a 2 week time check post servicing? Would explain 14 days of the delay in it being away at least.

J!m

This may be true- I did not get an explicit break down on how/why things are done. Their web site may have more info on that.

But if the average deviation is 3.9 seconds per day for a two week timing period, in five positions, that is pretty spectacular...

rusky27

My speedmaster moonwatch went to omega/swatch and took 3 months to come back Id had it only about 6 months so was not happy - watch was gaining approx an hour every hour was beyond a joke - all work was done through AD under Warranty. But would send to a local watchmaker given the knowledge I know now.