Sign in to follow this  
tk1952

Bk's $545 DSSD

tk1952

I'm wondering about the relative value of BK's $USD 545.00 DSSD? It's the same watch sold by other dealers for over a third less. He supposedly puts in a better seal. Worth it?

trans_lux

In think BK is worth it, you get excellent quality control, custom date wheel, guaranteed Swiss movement, water proof tested, alignment of 12 marker and maybe more.

Sent from the dark side of the moon

Edited by trans_lux

jcglobal

He does more than that to them. Worth every penny. And his customer service is top shelf.

But you can also be happy with many of the top models sold by the other TD's with lower quality movements, but still quite good.

My opinion if you want better than BK go to the Rolex boutique and buy one there.

nyckid

The BK DSSD was one of my first reps. It is TO DATE one of my best also. Like Trans_lux said it is guaranteed Swiss movement. Top notch quality, I own 6 rollies and that the best I own.

cwazy1

Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with all of the posts above.

BK's rolex's are all noob factory based.

Lets dissect the DSSD from BK and see what you fanboys are raving about

1. N-fact DSSD w/ asian clone mvmnt = 180$

2. BRAND SPANKN new ETA2836 from ofrei = 130$

OK, at this point, you've spend 310$ for a DSSD with 100% swiss movement, AND you've got a spare a2836 that can be sold for ~50$

Now.. lets see what else BK does..

1. repush on crystal to line up coronet and also cyclops [crystal press is 10$ on ebay]

2. new DWO. I'm not sure where he gets these but even the most expensive DWO's top out at 40$ a pop

OK, so what're we at now.. 310$ + 10 + 40 = 360$

Now dont get me wrong. I have no problem with the guy making 200$ for installing a DWO and realigning a crystal. Profit margins are profit margins and they are determined by the market.

What I do have a problem with is people saying that BK dssd and BK subs are the bees knees.

You guys need to understand that when you say this, you're saying that noob subs and noob dssds are fuckn great!

If you actually think noob fact rolex pieces are the best, you should take a look at BP factory rolex threads.

Zachthebaker

if you want the best dssd... you gotta go BK

nyckid

if you want the best dssd... you gotta go BK

FACT!!!! :giggle:

ad6904

I've stated the same many times and agree with Cwazy

But I understand that some people are willing to pay for the technical subtleties like a better DWO and if they choose to do so its their prerogative. But what people seem to miss is, a BK DSSD is basically a noob DSSD with very light modification and if you're happy with your dealer qc shouldn't be a service you're charged a premium for

gB.

Does BK do the gen like feel mod?

dingle

OK, at this point, you've spend 310$ for a DSSD with 100% swiss movement, AND you've got a spare a2836 that can be sold for ~50$

1. repush on crystal to line up coronet and also cyclops [crystal press is 10$ on ebay]

2. new DWO. I'm not sure where he gets these but even the most expensive DWO's top out at 40$ a pop

Now dont get me wrong. I have no problem with the guy making 200$ for installing a DWO and realigning a crystal. Profit margins are profit margins and they are determined by the market.

What I do have a problem with is people saying that BK dssd and BK subs are the bees knees.

You guys need to understand that when you say this, you're saying that noob subs and noob dssds are fuckn great!

If you actually think noob fact rolex pieces are the best, you should take a look at BP factory rolex threads.

Skill = priceless.

LightGeek

Skill = priceless.

Exactly. I've tried to replicate his work and that's just the date wheel overlay. I've got a lot of threads about it so do a search in the repair forum. Just about all Rolex rep date wheel overlays suck and many are misaligned. What are people going to notice first? An incorrect hand stack or the fact the date is too big and is off center?

To do a good overlay swap takes time, substantial skill, and tools. How much is that worth to you? People comparing anything by just the sum of its components only is naive at best. Every so often you hear people complain about little things in reps like a non-locking glide lock, a loose bezel, etc. BK actually discards the non-"Good" parts. You think that's cheap? Who pays for that?

See this: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=51794

Sure, I can now tear down a watch and do an overlay in an hour or so (don't kid yourself, even setup time counts) but it took countless hours to reach this efficiency. Who pays for that?

Just to be clear, when I say BKs builds are great, it's the technical subtleties, NOT rep accuracy. Again, see my point above about wrong/misaligned date.

...and does the swap just magically happen?

----------------

Sent from my Pilot 5000 using optional modem attachment

tk1952

To date I've purchased 3 high end reps from two different TDs. Not one arrived without issues that cost me money at my end to get fixed. After reading the above posts I think I'm now willing to pay extra for the peace of mind that comes from knowing that someone outside the factory has taken the time to make it better.

HeavyKrush

Purchased over 20 reps of varying quality from (4) different TD's with only a couple minor issues that were sorted with a small screw driver.

stenchlord

Skill = priceless.

Exactly. I've tried to replicate his work and that's just the date wheel overlay. I've got a lot of threads about it so do a search in the repair forum. Just about all Rolex rep date wheel overlays suck and many are misaligned. What are people going to notice first? An incorrect hand stack or the fact the date is too big and is off center?

To do a good overlay swap takes time, substantial skill, and tools. How much is that worth to you? People comparing anything by just the sum of its components only is naive at best. Every so often you hear people complain about little things in reps like a non-locking glide lock, a loose bezel, etc. BK actually discards the non-"Good" parts. You think that's cheap? Who pays for that?

See this: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=51794

Sure, I can now tear down a watch and do an overlay in an hour or so (don't kid yourself, even setup time counts) but it took countless hours to reach this efficiency. Who pays for that?

Just to be clear, when I say BKs builds are great, it's the technical subtleties, NOT rep accuracy. Again, see my point above about wrong/misaligned date.

...and does the swap just magically happen?

----------------

Sent from my Pilot 5000 using optional modem attachment

:thumbsup: nicely said mate.

cwazy1

As I said, I dont care about what he charges for everything. If he spends 10 mins doing the swap and charges 200 for it, good for him, if he spends 10 hours, thats also his problem. Not my concern.

I said in my post that my only concern is that people regard his noob factory products as being a superior product. People often times say that TC pieces are the best pieces to buy, and I'd have to agree with that because its actually specifically made to try and be better. Its not a glorified noob factory rolex that has gone through better QC by someone in the CONUS and then had a new DWO slapped on. My point is that when some noob asks who has the best sub, it shouldnt really be BK. It'd be like answering the same question with 'noob sub'

As for the ETA swap, do you really think he buys an asian clone and then swaps a brand new eta from ofrei? He probably just orders the swiss versions of whatever rolex he is trying to sell. And to 'confirm and guarantee swiss' means to verify the balance jewel cap spring and the base plate.

In any case, to each their own. Obviously BK is still in business, which means there are still people buying from him. If they believe a CONUS QC process is worth the extra 200-250$ then so be it. Its not my 550$

Edited by cwazy1

ShovelnTC

Both BK and TC are enthusiasts that just happen to sell their work, from what I know of both of them neither use their watch sales as a significant part of their income.

As has been said both BK's and TC's watches come at a premium price but for those that want the best out of the box item then both of their watches are likely to be better than from the factories due to their post factory mods but having said that you will be paying for that extra little bit which value can only be determined by yourself.

I have 2 BK's and will likely buy one of TC's once he has his bezel insert complete but I have also bought several watches direct from factory suppliers and have no complaints about them.

Good luck with your purchase.

Mark.

LightGeek

There are a few generalizations I need to address in your post.

Its not a glorified noob factory rolex that has gone through better QC by someone in the CONUS and then had a new DWO slapped on.

I take a lot of offence to the phrase "new DWO slapped on". Maybe you've done it, maybe you haven't. Either way, I'd love to see it be "slapped" on so trivially.

My point is that when some noob asks who has the best sub, it shouldnt really be BK. It'd be like answering the same question with 'noob sub'

Wrong. It's not you that's wrong. It's the stupid question. What the hell is "BEST"? You want the most sound construction and a rep with all the technical subtleties checkboxes ticked? BK. You want the more accurate but understand the risk of hit-or-miss QC? Go BP or otherwise.

You should be comparing it this way... buy a car new fresh off the lot vs (BK) that has done the recalls, done first maintenance, added stone guard and rust proofing, etc. The base is still the same but now I know all the "kinks" have been worked out. There is value to some in that.

As for the ETA swap, do you really think he buys an asian clone and then swaps a brand new eta from ofrei? He probably just orders the swiss versions of whatever rolex he is trying to sell. And to 'confirm and guarantee swiss' means to verify the balance jewel cap spring and the base plate.

My point is only to counter YOUR "buy a movement and swap with change to spare" comment.

In any case, to each their own. Obviously BK is still in business, which means there are still people buying from him. If they believe a CONUS QC process is worth the extra 200-250$ then so be it. Its not my 550$

You're missing the point completely, and obviously not the target customer -- and that's ok. To each their own, as you say.

Humor me though. Would you rather take a chance and receive a rep like this:

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...opic=52766&st=0

Or pay a hundred or so more for a Swiss movement, centered and correct date, aligned crystal, assured flawless bracelet function, etc? Some will be ok with it. How about you?

woman-questioning.jpg

cwazy1

I have swapped DWO's before and have also done various other mods to DW's, such as raising a DW on a recessed 7750 [namely the cosmonaute]. I'm not saying its easy for the first timer, but as with all skills the more practice and patience will lead to getting better. You shouldn't take offense to it, I read your topic about your dwo swap and botching the keyless and all that jazz, but that was your first time doing it. I'm sure if you were to swap DWO's hundreds of times like what BK does, you would probably consider it to just be 'slapped on'

Well, my point with answering the best sub is not to compare a BP sub with a BK sub. The reason being that their price range is not comparable, 200 to 500. I'm primarily comparing the BK with the TC. And my frustration with BK is that his prices are about the same as TC, but his wares are just noob bases. That is my point.

And yes, I completely agree. I'm not even close to BK's target customer :P I'd get a TC if I wanted to spend 500+ on a rolex. Luckily I've never been a fan of the contemporary rolex models. haha... saves me the money and the details.

EDIT: to respond to your link.

I'd rather risk that happening than pay an extra 200-250. But thats just me. I'd have no problem fixing that.

Edited by cwazy1

KeNnY

As I said, I dont care about what he charges for everything. If he spends 10 mins doing the swap and charges 200 for it, good for him, if he spends 10 hours, thats also his problem. Not my concern.

I said in my post that my only concern is that people regard his noob factory products as being a superior product. People often times say that TC pieces are the best pieces to buy, and I'd have to agree with that because its actually specifically made to try and be better. Its not a glorified noob factory rolex that has gone through better QC by someone in the CONUS and then had a new DWO slapped on. My point is that when some noob asks who has the best sub, it shouldnt really be BK. It'd be like answering the same question with 'noob sub'

good work :)

I got a feeling we will have soon an V8 ? version of DSSD with the pearl same as on the newest Ceramic Submariner :) I would recommend to wait 1-2 months before this happen, or try to get spare pearl from the new ceramic sub, and put it into the Noobfactory DSSD. Of course I would suggest full relume and waterproofing for this watch :)

LightGeek

I have swapped DWO's before and have also done various other mods to DW's, such as raising a DW on a recessed 7750 [namely the cosmonaute]. I'm not saying its easy for the first timer, but as with all skills the more practice and patience will lead to getting better. You shouldn't take offense to it, I read your topic about your dwo swap and botching the keyless and all that jazz, but that was your first time doing it. I'm sure if you were to swap DWO's hundreds of times like what BK does, you would probably consider it to just be 'slapped on'

Well, my point with answering the best sub is not to compare a BP sub with a BK sub. The reason being that their price range is not comparable, 200 to 500. I'm primarily comparing the BK with the TC. And my frustration with BK is that his prices are about the same as TC, but his wares are just noob bases. That is my point.

And yes, I completely agree. I'm not even close to BK's target customer :P I'd get a TC if I wanted to spend 500+ on a rolex. Luckily I've never been a fan of the contemporary rolex models. haha... saves me the money and the details.

You hit the nail on the head with your first sentence and that answers it all :) Ok back to oogling new reps like that nice black/blue GMT!

Hey KeNnY, we don't need your "super lume" since you probably just "slap it on" now having done it so many times. I'm joking :giggle:

ShadyManc

Great topic.

I'll be going down the BK route for my next rep, a DSSD. I've been lucky and very happy with my TD purchases so far also, and that's important to note.

It comes down to personal choice, are you happy with small elements of mediocrity in your rep, or do you prefer to spend a little extra for a better example? I'm not confident to do what BK does, I'm inpatient and want the best OTB experience, with least fuss. BK offers this route, albeit at a premium but I'm happy to pay it.

There is no right/wrong answer, it's subjective based on your desire and your budget. If you're happy to pay then pay, you'll not be disappointed, if not get one direct from a TD, either way you'll get exactly what you want, and hopefully expect. There aren't many posts with dissatisfied BK purchasers, that should tell you all you need to know.

cwazy1

:thumbsup:

The new releases that these factories are churning out are getting better and better. Soon it'll get to the point where a stock piece straight from factory will be better than some of the modder's pieces.

good work :)

I got a feeling we will have soon an V8 ? version of DSSD with the pearl same as on the newest Ceramic Submariner :) I would recommend to wait 1-2 months before this happen, or try to get spare pearl from the new ceramic sub, and put it into the Noobfactory DSSD. Of course I would suggest full relume and waterproofing for this watch :)

cwazy1

:lol: yup. here is the thread if you're curious about the recessed DW fix.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/breitling-cosmonaute-journey-134147.html?t=134147

I saw that blue/black one.. I want someone to buy it and do a comparison with a gen. I'm most interested in seeing if they got the bezel blue color correct.

You hit the nail on the head with your first sentence and that answers it all :) Ok back to oogling new reps like that nice black/blue GMT!

Hey KeNnY, we don't need your "super lume" since you probably just "slap it on" now having done it so many times. I'm joking :giggle:

LightGeek

:lol: yup. here is the thread if you're curious about the recessed DW fix.

http://www.replica-w...7.html?t=134147

I saw that blue/black one.. I want someone to buy it and do a comparison with a gen. I'm most interested in seeing if they got the bezel blue color correct.

I literally JUST ordered it. WI said they can get it :)

nev848

Wow good thread guys and some mature Q&A rather than the normal bullshit.

I have a Noob and a BK DSSD and must say at first glance not much in it. But even though only subtle the differences are there and that's why I own one.

Cwazy It's like saying Banksy is only Graffiti if you get my point.