northcountryboy1976

Date stopped working on DSSD

northcountryboy1976

Hi

My 2 year old DSSD with Swiss mvt has developed a fault.

The date wheel has stopped changing every 24hrs, I now have to set date manually every day.

Any ideas what fault might be, is it an easy fix for a complete novice or will it need to go to a watch maker?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

K

Serge D

I have the same thing with my NSD. From the info i could dig up, it does happen mostly to 2824. Theres a date changing gear, and it gets offset by a micron, which is enough for the date not to flip. Wish i could be more helpful, maybe our smiths can help you more.

NFleischer

Same thing happened to mine. I'm sure it can be fixed, I'm just too cheap and lazy now.

Besides, mine doesn't get enough wrist time.

Onyx68

Having the same problem with my DSSD. Love this watch, but I have no clue on how to solve this problem.

Cdenim

So I will try and sort one watch at a time. Op, you state it has Swiss ETA. Need to know if its 2836/2824 either will be -2 version. Although these two movement share a majority of there parts the dial side is very different between the two. Especially with regards to the calendar works. 2824 has simple date corrector with jumper spring using hour wheel to initiate date wheel rotation via a small intermediate date wheel. The 2836 (as it is set up for day/date complication ) has alot more going on. with double date corrector and jumper, bigger full minute cock and lever and spring set up for date drive wheel. Lol, have i lost you....  put simply, any certified watchmaker or good modder can service the watch and easily correct the date wheel rotation. I've found most i've encountered to be the date drive wheel, (under a lot of tension from the unlocking yoke and spring) will slip its seat and allow the unlocking yoke to slide under it not allowing for 24 hour date rotation but since the date wheel still remains tight against the date jumper manual rotation is still present. See because the 2836  is set up for day/date function, it has more lever action up top for day disc. This is removed for a watch like my beloved DSSD that has no day function leaving alot more tension on the date drive wheel......Still awake...... sorry guys. Watchmaking can sound a bit technical but its the only way i know how to say it as if i used " round thingy" or "sea horse looking thing" the good folks at the swatch group wouldn't be so proud. LOL. as for the others.... Need to know specifics.. movement type. What it is or more importantly what it isn't doing. Most important, can the date still be moved manually through the keyless work by advancing the crown winder.  Lastly, i can only offer a general opinion based on previous examples ive worked on, fortunately ive seen some very interesting things over the years. In any case the watch must be uncased, movement broken down, serviced and re-cased. Definitely something i wouldn't recommend for a novice. Great care must be taken as so your dials aren't scratched up, hands all beat up, dust and such being introduced unside the case. Always better left up to a good watchsmith. And honestly a relatively inexpensive service.

Luxuracer
12 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

So I will try and sort one watch at a time. Op, you state it has Swiss ETA. Need to know if its 2836/2824 either will be -2 version. Although these two movement share a majority of there parts the dial side is very different between the two. Especially with regards to the calendar works. 2824 has simple date corrector with jumper spring using hour wheel to initiate date wheel rotation via a small intermediate date wheel. The 2836 (as it is set up for day/date complication ) has alot more going on. with double date corrector and jumper, bigger full minute cock and lever and spring set up for date drive wheel. Lol, have i lost you....  put simply, any certified watchmaker or good modder can service the watch and easily correct the date wheel rotation. I've found most i've encountered to be the date drive wheel, (under a lot of tension from the unlocking yoke and spring) will slip its seat and allow the unlocking yoke to slide under it not allowing for 24 hour date rotation but since the date wheel still remains tight against the date jumper manual rotation is still present. See because the 2836  is set up for day/date function, it has more lever action up top for day disc. This is removed for a watch like my beloved DSSD that has no day function leaving alot more tension on the date drive wheel......Still awake...... sorry guys. Watchmaking can sound a bit technical but its the only way i know how to say it as if i used " round thingy" or "sea horse looking thing" the good folks at the swatch group wouldn't be so proud. LOL. as for the others.... Need to know specifics.. movement type. What it is or more importantly what it isn't doing. Most important, can the date still be moved manually through the keyless work by advancing the crown winder.  Lastly, i can only offer a general opinion based on previous examples ive worked on, fortunately ive seen some very interesting things over the years. In any case the watch must be uncased, movement broken down, serviced and re-cased. Definitely something i wouldn't recommend for a novice. Great care must be taken as so your dials aren't scratched up, hands all beat up, dust and such being introduced unside the case. Always better left up to a good watchsmith. And honestly a relatively inexpensive service.

@northcountryboy1976 ... Do NOT waste your time read the above post ... It's not going help ... trust me, I did.

Just send your watch to @Cdenim

tenor.gif

Cdenim
19 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

@northcountryboy1976 ... Do NOT waste your time read the above post ... It's not going help ... trust me, I did.

tenor.gif

now that had me kakakaka-ing.  Hey, i apologized  a few times. lol these things have odd, strange names. :picard:

Luxuracer
23 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

now that had me kakakaka-ing.  Hey, i apologized  a few times. lol these things have odd, strange names. :picard:

Let me take a shot at it .... !

2824-2_s1.jpg

Do you see that tiny wheel right there sitting next to a buch of other wheels in that movement ?!? .... Nod if you do ...!

Look very careful ... then you will see it's not something that you want to mess with ... unless you spent two years or more working on movements and messed up dozens of watches.

Cdenim

Poetry. Shear, Unabridged...poetry

1 hour ago, Luxuracer said:

Let me take a shot at it .... !

2824-2_s1.jpg

Do you see that tiny wheel right there sitting next to a buch of other wheels in that movement ?!? .... Nod if you do ...!

Look very careful ... then you will see it's not something that you want to mess with ... unless you spent two years or more working on movements and messed up dozens of watches.

eta_2836.jpg

But your post gave me a good idea..... So to illustrate the differences, here we have 2836-2 movement. The problem happens when 1. Date driven wheel is pushed up out of its seat  from 2. unlocking yoke, (which is under the un lock yoke plate) Due to an abundance of extra force given by 3 unlock yoke spring bc day disc isn't used.  Here we have complete minute and calendar works  for reference. 

et_A_COMP.jpg

Life's a lot easier with pictures

Luxuracer
10 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

giphy.gif

Cdenim
5 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

giphy.gif

:lmao:

Raddave
6 hours ago, Cdenim said:

Poetry. Shear, Unabridged...poetry

eta_2836.jpg

But your post gave me a good idea..... So to illustrate the differences, here we have 2836-2 movement. The problem happens when 1. Date driven wheel is pushed up out of its seat  from 2. unlocking yoke, (which is under the un lock yoke plate) Due to an abundance of extra force given by 3 unlock yoke spring bc day disc isn't used.  Here we have complete minute and calendar works  for reference. 

et_A_COMP.jpg

hmmm never had this happen to me .......

so in your opinion , on a rep with no day window , would it be advisable to leave the day wheel in place then , even though its not seen ?

Cdenim
1 minute ago, Raddave said:

so in your opinion , on a rep with no day window , would it be advisable to leave the day wheel in place then , even though its not seen ?

Its not a real common occurrence.  However its usually what has happend in these date stop instances.  But again Dave, we don't know if some of these were dropped  or sustained some kind of impact to that corner of the watch. This is also not to say the drive wheel wasn't moved or fussed with when the overlay was installed. Another instance iv'e seen.  Id have to go back through notes and find the measurement we did  for calculating the static force with and without day/date disc. The whole lesson behind it was calibrating a movement with low static force implied.  Meaning a busy watch with several complications and how they then effect its power reserve and accuracy. I would say keep it off, for watches without this function only because  of it can become stuck either through friction with the dial or something on the dial  itself since spacing wasn't considered for the non-date dial. A lesser of the 2 evils would be to keep it off. 

Cdenim
33 minutes ago, Raddave said:

One of the funniest things i read since we've been here, was someone calling you a noob.  obviously i don't think he knew who you were, it was just something funny that came out of all that confusion. handled it pretty well I'd say.

Raddave
27 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

One of the funniest things i read since we've been here, was someone calling you a noob.  obviously i don't think he knew who you were, it was just something funny that came out of all that confusion. handled it pretty well I'd say.

always trying to learn Bro , i know there are alot of ppl  out there that know alot more than me and i would be an idiot to not take information when it was given .....

Thanks for the tips !

And of course to prove my noobness i quoted the wrong fucking post !   LMAO 

Thanks Bro !

Raddave
19 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

One of the funniest things i read since we've been here, was someone calling you a noob.  

you are talking about Kdo ...hell get his noob badge when RWI is back online :D

NCRich

Wow, you guys are responding to a necro post.

Raddave
11 minutes ago, NCRich said:

my bad , but its still got good info in it .........sorry Rich :(

GenTLe
9 hours ago, Luxuracer said:

tenor.gif

He is actually very right, but has a bit of writing-diarrhea problem :)

To put it simple for the OP: for sure it's fixable, for sure not by yourself unless you are a watch tech (and if so you wouldn't have posted your question), for sure you'll need to bring your watch to a (decent) watch tech (and we have watch tech trusted here able to do that simple job).

37 minutes ago, NCRich said:

:rofl: Noting just now! 2013, wow!

Luxuracer

There is nothing wrong of posting useful answer ... even though it's 4 years late!

Kakaka!

HorFan

Indeed, someone posted this same problem on RWI just before it went down. Turns out it was a defective date corrector wheel on 2824. The tri-gear was loose and was not turning with the gear underneath it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdenim
4 hours ago, Raddave said:

always trying to learn Bro , i know there are alot of ppl  out there that know alot more than me and i would be an idiot to not take information when it was given .....

Thanks for the tips !

And of course to prove my noobness i quoted the wrong fucking post !   LMAO 

Thanks Bro !

Hey, I just want to know who has the best, perfect real, exact replica rolex I can sell on ebay, i mean give my friend as a gift. lol.  The one thing i have learned in life,  we can never stop learning.  Lol, at least its what i told myself when here at 40, with a successful business i said " yeah, i should go to watchmaking school" out of a love for a hobby.  I just hope we were able to  salvage  stuff like your Ultimate Guide DSSD when we come back online.  Where the hell else are you going to find something like that or any of the other in depth reviews or reffrence posts.  Hell man, I for one appreciate all you guys do for us, even though you're new to this hobby and all..... lmao. I read that and i went back over it like 3 times.. i was like......"wait, did he just call him a noob. Ahhh, errr, ummmm, Dave, the other bad cop, Wait what" and by that time you set him straight. Ahhh what fun this has all been.  

Raddave
9 minutes ago, Cdenim said:

Hey, I just want to know who has the best, perfect real, exact replica rolex I can sell on ebay, i mean give my friend as a gift. lol.  The one thing i have learned in life,  we can never stop learning.  Lol, at least its what i told myself when here at 40, with a successful business i said " yeah, i should go to watchmaking school" out of a love for a hobby.  I just hope we were able to  salvage  stuff like your Ultimate Guide DSSD when we come back online.  Where the hell else are you going to find something like that or any of the other in depth reviews or reffrence posts.  Hell man, I for one appreciate all you guys do for us, even though you're new to this hobby and all..... lmao. I read that and i went back over it like 3 times.. i was like......"wait, did he just call him a noob. Ahhh, errr, ummmm, Dave, the other bad cop, Wait what" and by that time you set him straight. Ahhh what fun this has all been.  

im the original Bad Cop ;)

and i aint no fuckin noob :D

Keep the faith Brother !

Luxuracer

Over a quarter of century, wearing dozen of Omega and Rolex, I did not know jack about watches. Just bought and wore them. Sometimes I didn't even know the model numbers. Just less than 3 months getting in the repworld, I learned so much about watches both reps and gens. It quickly became my hobby. I hasn't been this excited about buying stuffs since I bought my first TZ250 race bike.

I even bought tool kits, so I can change and resize my own bracelets ... Kakaka!

giphy.gif

Cdenim
29 minutes ago, Luxuracer said:

Over a quarter of century, wearing dozen of Omega and Rolex, I did not know jack about watches. Just bought and wore them. Sometimes I didn't even know the model numbers. Just less than 3 months getting in the repworld, I learned so much about watches both reps and gens. It quickly became my hobby. I hasn't been this excited about buying stuffs since I bought my first TZ250 race bike.

I even bought tool kits, so I can change and resize my own bracelets ... Kakaka!

giphy.gif

Aww man, you had to go there...... didn't you.  Last race was at Barber 2012. There isn't a day that goes by without thinking....." can i make it one more brake marker, before i put this thing into the sand" . And you're right, asides from the great people i've met along  those twisty corners and back straits, I have found alot of that same camaraderie here.  Some more crazy than others. LOL... and its not my fault, it came up as a new thread in the RWI CLUBROOM!!!!!! Well maybe i should have looked at the date before answering . Oh well, I'll just go with what you said and call it done. Here you go, a few pounds lighter, Barber 2012 after press opt with Jaimie Hacking. guy is like 5'1

Screenshot_20171230-142218.jpgScreenshot_20171230-142258.jpgScreenshot_20171230-142401.jpg