Sign in to follow this  
SSTEEL

Word is out locally I can repair watches. Found out at party tonight

SSTEEL

My wife's cousin had a surprise 40th Birthday party today, he's a musician, in a band, and doing well in Finland. Party was great with live music.

I was outside having a smoke, and a guy from the party came out to me, and said, I hear you can fix watches?

I looked at him, and wondered where the hell he heard that lol

It turns out my mother-in-law has dropped the word I have been working on watches, and fixed hers, and my father-in-laws, not to mention replacing batteries on other watches of theres.

Anyhow, this guy had a Certina like this one...

Certina_Watch_10.jpg

He was wearing it, and told me it keeps stopping whilst he is at work, but works fine when he's out jogging, or out and about fishing etc. I asked what he did for a living, and he said he works at a desk by day, and plays guitar in a band at the weekends. (the latter relates to the conversation).

He plays the guitar with his right hand, and wears his watch on the left wrist. His watch would stop whilst playing his guitar for a couple of hours.

I asked him if I could take a quick look at his watch, and he took it off. I checked the movement, 25J auto, clear case back, rotor was working as it should. I then check the crown to see if it was a screw down or not, and it wasn't, so I proceeded to manually wind it, and the guy said, what you doing??

I told him, you can manually wind his watch too, and should do if you are not very active during a certain period of time.

He was all surprised, and said, I never knew about that, thanks. I proceeded to give him instructions on how to use his watch :giggle:

Sorry for the long thread, but it really tickled me that this guy didn't know his own watch.

Whilst at this same party earlier today, again, outside having a smoke, my wife's cousin came out, and was asking about my Carrera I was wearing, and he said, I heard you built this watch yourself?

Long story short, I was talking to someone who has no interests in watches per say, but he was fascinated that someone he knows has worked on something so beautiful, and so full of tiny parts. I could tell by his face that he didn't have the first idea of what I was talking about when I mentioned Swiss ETA, and chronograph. At least he gave me some respect, which was nice :)

Edited by SSTEEL

Stuvetjee

hahaha these lovely stories on RWG keeps me positive! :D thanks for the share mate!:)

Crusader

Good story :)

And the point of the story is, you can't tell women anything, they will tell it everyone else :D

Electron17

Great story, can we now send our watches to you for repairs? :giggle:

SSTEEL

:lol:

It fails to surprise me online, reading on some of the watch forums about guys buying a watch, and not knowing the watches potential, functionality, and whats what, but this was the first time in the real world I have actually met someone who didn't know his watch, his date was reading the 3rd, so I correct that for him, and instructed him on how to change the date, and he said he was scared of breaking it to change the date lol

Stuvetjee

:lol:

It fails to surprise me online, reading on some of the watch forums about guys buying a watch, and not knowing the watches potential, functionality, and whats what, but this was the first time in the real world I have actually met someone who didn't know his watch, his date was reading the 3rd, so I correct that for him, and instructed him on how to change the date, and he said he was scared of breaking it to change the date lol

hey maybe you can help me with something. my watch is always ticking! is it normal?

:lmao:

Pharmo
:lol: great story!

dalboy

Truth is you would be surprised just how many people dont know...

Question is ...

Was it a good party ? :giggle:

Dal.

replicastuff

Nice story, hope he got you a free drink for your troubles too!

greg_r

LOL - great story...

SSTEEL

Was a great party, had a good time :)

TheInthusiest

Great you had a blast there. I had a similar convo with my cousin about watches. I've converted him to wear analog pieces instead of his crummy old casio digital. :D

SSTEEL

Nice story, hope he got you a free drink for your troubles too!

All drinks were free :P

LOL - great story...

Sure is mate :) I'm chuckling about it right now too.

Great you had a blast there. I had a similar convo with my cousin about watches. I've converted him to wear analog pieces instead of his crummy old casio digital. :D

Congrats, well done!

SSTEEL

Oh boy, just heard from the wife, our Niece who I fixed her broken Samsung Galaxy S2 LCD not so long ago phoned today, she's broken it again, but not only that, her friend who has the same model phone, has also broken her screen, and they want me to fix them :lol:

Kids!

Just to add, plus, I have just fixed my mother-in-laws push bike, replaced an inner tube for her, and ordered a part for my father-in-laws car. It never stops, all I hear is, Micky! lol

Edited by SSTEEL

scorpion

Great story..................

Now be at my house tomorrow at 8 am sharp. I have a new set of brake discs and pads to fit on my car and I hear you are great at fixing stuff. Mrs will make you a nice cup of English tea or hot coffee and a bacon sandwich. Once brakes are done an oil change, air filter and new spark plugs are needed.

1 coffee.gif

SSTEEL

Great story..................

Now be at my house tomorrow at 8 am sharp. I have a new set of brake discs and pads to fit on my car and I hear you are great at fixing stuff. Mrs will make you a nice cup of English tea or hot coffee and a bacon sandwich. Once brakes are done an oil change, air filter and new spark plugs are needed.

1%20coffee.gif

You pay for flights and accommodation, and Mick'll Fix-It will be there :lol:

Cynikal.Mindset

I hate when people find out I can fix things...I've become the local computer/ipod/iphone and general electronics wizard...I wish people would stop breaking their phones, getting pr0n viruses etc. I barely have time to tend to my own property

masmannan

You might not be aware. But there's a good chance someone in your family has printed up business cards and has happily distributing it without your knowledge...

Irishcain
You might not be aware. But there's a good chance someone in your family has printed up business cards and has happily distributing it without your knowledge...

My wife did that when she wanted me to start tutoring, lol

onzenuub

SSteel Labyrinth by Finnish Watchmaker

Monty010

Good to know where I can get my future watch upgrades done :lol:

nyckid

Wow great story! An awesome icebreaker when with a group of friends.

After being against it for some time, my wife now thinks is sexy that I'm into watches and that I'm able to tell the make and model of a watch from a couple of meters away.

SSTEEL

I hate when people find out I can fix things...I've become the local computer/ipod/iphone and general electronics wizard...I wish people would stop breaking their phones, getting pr0n viruses etc. I barely have time to tend to my own property

I hear you mate. Reminds me of an old mate back in the UK, he's an electronics guy, and can fix pretty much anything, mainly TV's. He was so fed up of people asking him to fix things, whenever he was asked what he did for a living, he lied lol, told them he was a tax man lmao

Sounds plausible lol

My wife did that when she wanted me to start tutoring, lol

Whoops lol

SSteel Labyrinth by Finnish Watchmaker

:P

SSTEEL

Good to know where I can get my future watch upgrades done :lol:

I don't mind helping members out here when I have a little more experience under my belt :)

Wow great story! An awesome icebreaker when with a group of friends.

After being against it for some time, my wife now thinks is sexy that I'm into watches and that I'm able to tell the make and model of a watch from a couple of meters away.

Cool, I am so lucky too, my wife loves what I do with watches, she admires me for the attention to detail I have :)

SSTEEL

Latest acquisition from a neighbour kid this time, his battery needed replacing..

9422345826_3675391d24_b.jpg

Replaced battery, only seven screws to get to it lol. Also used toothpaste to remove the scuffs from the plastic face. Deeper scratches can stay.

9465237468_366b144d0e_b.jpg