Sign in to follow this  
Jan-mj

Questions about the GMT II

Jan-mj

Hey guys,

So I've been entretaining the thought of getting a GMT II in ceramic, but as I have read the movements seem to be not as reliable as in other watches - maybe cause of the gmt hand? So I was wondering if you could help me out.

How reliable do these watches run? Do you guys think ETA is the way to go to not have problems? Or 21j? I really want to have more beats on it than the 21j, but I don't want the watch to suddenly stop because the other movements aren't as reliable. Which movement would you recommend?

I would also like to know a little about the mods. I have read a LOT about the glass and the AR. Which glass should I go with for accuracy? Do you guys think that getting in out of the box and getting some new AR would suffice or does the cyclops then become off? If I have to go with a gen glass - where do you get that and what kind of cost can i expect for it (just a ballpark, to have an idea).

If there is anything else you guys think I should know or if you had an experience with this watch that you would like to share i would love to hear it.

Thanks to everyone in advance ;)

greg_r

I would buy a 21J GMTII (with sapphire if available) and then leave it alone.

Jan-mj

Are you expected to have problems with the ETA? And sorry to ask, but don't all of these come with a saphire crystal?

greg_r

Are you expected to have problems with the ETA? And sorry to ask, but don't all of these come with a saphire crystal?

Some of the cheaper models will be mineral glass. And yes, the 21J GMT movement is more reliable than the other options.

Jan-mj

Ok, got it. Just one more thing:

I just checked the watch out again and the TDs have on their website that the bezel is unidirectional. The gen rotates both ways, tough. If i get it "out of the box" will it be able to rotate both ways?

Dr Yan

+ 1 to Gregs comments i have a 21j GMT IIc for three years now and not a problem, even wore it swimming (following greasing etc).

IIRC it also has the correct hand stack( for any one with bionic eyes who can notice this) :)

probably a typo on the ADs website about unidirectional bezel (godamm cut and paste)

greg_r

"unidirectional" means that it rotates one way, but it could equally be a typo. I haven't had a GMTII in my hands for a while, but the last one I had was certainly unidirectional (it was a cheapie, though). Some models do have a bezel that rotates both ways - worth checking with the dealer.

cus+0m

i have a swiss(supposed) GMTIIc from about 1.5yrs ago, its a ICHS model but has not given me any problems, other then being unable to wind via the crown but date&GMT hand setting is fine, thus i've not sent it for servicing.

my GMTIIc bezel turn both directions, as it shld. do note tho that the GMT hand will slip over time, happens on the GEN as well.

Jan-mj

Cus+0m, If you had to buy it again would you go with ETA again or would you rather have a 21j? I'm really insecure regarding the movement, I want it to work for the next 2 years properly. I have a Planet Ocean and i had it serviced by Whiz and in 1.5 years haven't had a single problem with it. I want the GMTII to become my new daily beater so I want it to run smoothly and I don't know if the 21j would bother me over time because it isn't sweeping...

g.man

Of the several GMT reps I've purchased I've never had a problem with a 21j model, whilst the only time I purchased an ETA it died within 24hrs. I have a 21j GMT that's been going strong for about three years now.

regards

g.man

greg_r

Cus+0m, If you had to buy it again would you go with ETA again or would you rather have a 21j? I'm really insecure regarding the movement, I want it to work for the next 2 years properly. I have a Planet Ocean and i had it serviced by Whiz and in 1.5 years haven't had a single problem with it. I want the GMTII to become my new daily beater so I want it to run smoothly and I don't know if the 21j would bother me over time because it isn't sweeping...

the 21J DOES sweep, just 6 'ticks' per second rather than 8.

A good 21J can last a long time - I have some that are several years old. It's the safest option for this watch.

Mechwarrior

waiting my eta clone gmt 2

hoping will last ^_^

Jan-mj

Ok, so 21j it is. Now about the crystal - you guys think it's already ok out of the box or should i get some AR or even replace it? I love my PO but the AR is something I wish I had done in retrospective

conx

Let me summarize....

Buy the 21j version. Make sure it has a sapphire glass. Job done.

Jan-mj

Hey guys,

So I got an email this morning from puretime, according to them the GMT II doesn't come in 21j!!! Only swiss or clone, so there's that...

J.Eric

I wear a GMT IIc as a daily beater. It originally came with a 25j asain

Clone. It worked great for about a month and then it seemed like every

Week I was doing somehing to it to keep it running. I eventually got my

Hands on an eta 2836 and swapped the gmt parts onto it. It still gives me

Trouble sometimes. I have an older gmt 2 and an explorer 2 with 21j and they

Have been running great!

g.man
Hey guys,

So I got an email this morning from puretime, according to them the GMT II doesn't come in 21j!!! Only swiss or clone, so there's that...

Ask other dealers.

simple

g.man

conx

Hey guys,

This is why he is not a trusted dealer here.... He is talking rubbish. He just wants to sell you what he has to hand rather than what you want.