Sign in to follow this  
Chairman7w

You two characters are going to Top Gun!

Chairman7w

“I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best - You two characters are going to Top Gun!”

f-14.jpg

“I am never leaving my wingman, again.” – Maverick

“I don’t like you because you’re dangerous!” - Iceman

“You got the name of that truck driver school, Mav? Truckmasters, I think it was…” - Goose

top-gun-poster06.jpg

Top Gun. I remember seeing it on opening night as a young Airman stationed at Shaw AFB, SC, full of jingoistic patriotism. It was awesome.

Flash-forward 27 years later, and I got roped into this wacky, wallet-draining, replica watch hobby, and there it is: A Top Gun Watch!! Awesome!!

I’d been eying them since I first saw them, and finally decided a couple weeks ago to get one. After conversing with the Trusted Dealer Kuvarsit, I *really* couldn’t decide between the standard black model, and the olive-green Miramar. They are both sharp as heck, and I can think of many situations where I’d wear either, but I just couldn’t decide.

So I got both.

TopGuns-11.jpg

I emailed Kuvarsit directly and he was great to work with. All the TDs I’ve dealt with so far have been, truth be told. We’re so lucky to have this resource here. love the feeling of confidence I get when I've chosen my watch, communicated with the dealer, and I can wire them the money without fear of scamming. It's hard to put a price to that. I'll never buy from somebody that's not a Trusted Dealer here.

So anyway, I got payment to him the next day via WU, and I got the QC pics right away. Once approved (also right away), they were shipped immediately, and lo and behold, I got them in six days! (in Sacramento). They were packed very securely in a padded envelope, with additional bubble wrap inside.

TopGuns-6.jpg

Damn they are sharp!! I love ‘em. The Miramar is slightly larger, but even on my dinky wrists, they fit just fine, and don’t overwhelm. The black version has an additional window for a day of the week. Both have what look to be very solid screw-down crowns. They seem quite deep, with plenty of thread (unlike my Omegas) and seat down very well.

TopGuns-9.jpg

Both have very nice crystals, and exhibit very little glare.

Both have the nylon strap, and it’s suitably thick and beefy. The black strap is slightly narrower than the Miramar strap, and it tapers slightly. The Miramar strap is the same thickness all the way down. Both straps have leather backers, and are very comfortable. They were both a *touch* stiff coming out of the wrapper, but are curving nicely with wear. Both have an IWC imprint on the buckle.

Each have the working timer thingie, that the 2 O’clock button starts/stops, and the 4 O’clock button resets. The black watch also has a moving second hand on the bottom dial.

TopGuns-4.jpg

I believe both are 21J movement, although I’m no expert and I can’t get onto Kuvarsit’s site to check.

TopGuns-10.jpg

Each have the Top Gun logo screen printed in white on the side, and the Top Gun seal on the back. On the black version, the Top Gun seal is in color, on the Miramar, it’s etched (nice etching too, very deep and sharp!).

TopGuns-5.jpg

All in all I’m absolutely in love with these, they’ve quickly vaulted into Most-Favored Status within my meager collection.

TopGuns-7.jpg

Cliffs:

• Loved the movie Top Gun
  • Got excited when I learned there was a Top Gun Watch
  • Ordered them from Kuvarsit – great service
  • They’re awesome!

TopGuns.jpg

Edited by Chairman7w

headhunt3r

Love them!

If the timer thingie (chrono) works, then it's most likely not a 21J. :) Either quartz or a 7750 perhaps?

machiavegli

Sweet pickups! (& movie). I thought the only Miramar available was quartz (some with microstepped mvmt) the small running seconds should be "jumpy" if it is quartz, not to mention a "power reserve" lasting months at a time...

-Mach

Chrisby

Very nice watches! and an amazing film to boot too!

mysterio

Sweet pickups! (& movie). I thought the only Miramar available was quartz (some with microstepped mvmt) the small running seconds should be "jumpy" if it is quartz, not to mention a "power reserve" lasting months at a time...

-Mach

Yep, the Miramar is powered by the Miyota OS20 (quartz).

Chairman7w

Thanks mysterio.

gugugalnoot

I ordered the Miramar from TSwatch, below $120 and says Japanese quartz, but chrono should be working according to website.

Is there a reason that nobody tells their price they paid?

I have seen huge differences between the "same" watches at all TD's!! Sometimes up to over $ 100 and those were no offers or clearances.

arancini

Nice post Chairman.

Really enjoyed reading that. :B):

TheSav

Great post. Thanks. I'm not a fan of the black but the Mirimar is a looker.

arancini

That fucking video always makes me laugh amperes.... :giggle:

Jagsman

These are cracking! Really like them. What size are they?

dalboy

Great choices !

I hear the jet cost's a lot more. :giggle:

Enjoy them ..

Dal.

perfecto24

Very nice. I,m new in this forum.

I love top gun miramar.

Link for booth in kuvarsit???

I only see the green version 138 $ in kuvarsit

Where is the black version?

One problem – in pics in kuvarsit the strap Green seems very clear no military green– is military green realy???

Chairman7w

Just email him directly. Many TDs have (or can get) watches that aren't necessarily on their website.

Rav747

Love the movie. Almost got me to go to the Air Force.and I will def be adding the top gun to my collection some day

wrenches&watches

top gun = homosexual day dream?!!! NO....WAY :salute:

machiavegli

Update: I just bought a TG Miramar rep on green step here on M2M. Unfortunately its a "first generation" so in person the watch case is too black and the quartz is not microstepped so both small running second hand and big chrono second hands are jumpy. And it's STILL one of my new favorites. These are great, versitile watches. Great picks. Still wish I got your version with correct case color like you did.

-Mach

jeffw69

ooooooh Tom Cruise............... :johng: