Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Photography Practice

Ska

it may be for a couple of reasons:

1. no I haven't sharpened them

2. My Nikon D40 is only 6 megapixels.

3. My Macro Lenses haven't arrived yet so I'm shooting at the extreme in terms of closeness to the watch.

but yeah I noticed that too.

AllergyDoc

My old version of Photoshop Elements has an excellent sharpening tool called "advanced sharpening", I think. It's not the regular sharpening. It corrects for lens' blur, ext. It's fabulous.

No one needs more than 6 MP. You can easily make a 12 x 18" print with 6 MP. I shoot my watch photos in 2 or 3 MP for the Internet.

Do you edit the pixels of your images? They need only be 72 pixels for Internet display. I usually size mine at 900-1024 x whatever the height ends up at, and 72 pixels.

If your D40 is fairly new it might have come with a VR lens. You probably know this, but you turn the VR off when you use a tripod. If you don't have the VR lens, that little 18 x 55 lens can take very sharp photos.

Edit: I just noticed you're shooting in RAW. I don't use RAW. Sharpening photos will be different in RAW.

Luto
My old version of Photoshop Elements has an excellent sharpening tool called "advanced sharpening", I think. It's not the regular sharpening. It corrects for lens' blur, ext. It's fabulous.

No one needs more than 6 MP. You can easily make a 12 x 18" print with 6 MP. I shoot my watch photos in 2 or 3 MP for the Internet.

Do you edit the pixels of your images? They need only be 72 pixels for Internet display. I usually size mine at 900-1024 x whatever the height ends up at, and 72 pixels.

If your D40 is fairly new it might have come with a VR lens. You probably know this, but you turn the VR off when you use a tripod. If you don't have the VR lens, that little 18 x 55 lens can take very sharp photos.

Edit: I just noticed you're shooting in RAW. I don't use RAW. Sharpening photos will be different in RAW.

it is even more important to sharpen if shooting RAW, however you have better control over the sharpening. It should be done as the final step as well (after resizing). Photoshop unsharp mask (USM) is the usual tool.

AllergyDoc
it is even more important to sharpen if shooting RAW, however you have better control over the sharpening. It should be done as the final step as well (after resizing). Photoshop unsharp mask (USM) is the usual tool.

Right. USM. The other tool in Elements works far better than USM.

ebzen02

These pictures suck!! There are no Panerai's in them.....Honestly dude, those are great!!

jkirke

@houndoggie~~lovin the PO shots bro. I think you're right. The stark contrast of Black or White with a watch like that really give it the best look.

@skathewatch~~thanks for the read. gave me some good ideas on a homemade lightbox!!